Kickstarting and Screaming

I think at present their goal is to make sure everything goes smoothly for the backers and possibly to take some well deserved time off. They’ve stated a desire keep this going long-term and expand to other systems if possible (rumblings of Neo-Geo and Dreamcast) so… soon, maybe?

After being so impressed with the new edition of Dawn of the Zeds, I’ve decided to go ahead and back the kickstarter for Darkest Night.

Well the new push for Darkest Night has at least unlocked the box organizer stretch goal!

Looks like Darkest Night 2.0 got a decent push at the end. I really considered picking it up in the last few days, even watched a few videos showing gameplay of the new edition, but ultimately just didn’t see it getting much play out of it here. I’ve already got several games I’m trying to get played “through” solo right now.

In other news, I’ve talked to my wife several times over the last two years or so about how nice it would be to have a board game table (typically one with a vault inset that can be covered up when not playing). She’s been really receptive to the idea, but the price has been way too high to justify, even as nice as some of them look. One of the newer companies to be working in this area is BoardGameTables.com, who make a simpler and cheaper table than the bigger names, but still are pretty expensive.

They’ve launched a kickstarter recently for a mass-produced, simplified, and much cheaper table:

It starts at $499 +$59 shipping for just the table without a cover (they call it a topper), and ramps up to $799 + $59 shipping for table, cover, and cup holders. While that’s still a good bit of money, it’s far cheaper than the alternatives currently in the market. There’s a good bit of compromise, in that there’s no customization (beyond the cover/no cover and cup holders/no cup holders options), and instead of using a felt insert like is generally standard, you’re getting a neoprene mat with colors on two sides (so basically a giant mousepad). They’re also using rubberwood, which should be a step above plywood/MDF, but not quite as nice as the typical hardwoods.

The campaign has done really well so far, with over $500,000 so far. We’re really tempted, and I’m hoping to see some feedback from Origins where they should have a prototype table.

I’m looking forward to seeing it at Origins as well. I’d like to get an idea of the scale of it (Its supposed to be a 5x3 playing surface).

Didn’t know where to post, and I didn’t want to create a new thread for this, so I’ll post it here.

It seems Godus is dead for good now.

http://godus.boards.net/thread/1458/konrads-supposed-departure?page=1&scrollTo=28429

Molyneux spin incoming.

Well after the amazing Godus Wars release, its probably for the best. 22cans as a company should just give up and close down.

So, someone is doing a Remaster of System Shock and will start a Kickstarter in the next few days. I’ll post once they tweeted about it. Initial graphics looked awesome though. Can’t wait to revisit this, really!

Mighty No. 9 review over at IGN: 5.6.

Despite its pedigree, Mighty No. 9 doesn’t seem to have a good sense of what was fun about Mega Man, or 2D action-platformers in general. There are brief moments where its pieces come together, but even then it’s hamstrung by its visually joyless art and animation. The soul of the Blue Bomber just isn’t here, and worse yet there’s no endearing personality of its own, and as a result, Mighty No. 9 feels much more like a second-rate imposter than a spiritual successor.

Sad trombone for anyone that pledged to ReRoll.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ReRoll/comments/4oeemp/officially_cancelled/

After being so close on multiple occasions, today, we have to face the fact that this rejection was our last hope to secure the necessary funding to pursue the development and complete the game.

This is why we are officially announcing that the development of ReROLL is over. We want all of you to know that we gave our best shot and like you, we are extremely disappointed that ReROLL will not become a reality. It sucks. All of this sucks. We know many of you will be disappointed and even pissed. We understand that. We should have been better at communicating our progress. Not to give excuses, but we were caught in the process with potential partners that wished we stayed silent on our progress.

We know that gifting you copies of BIOS (our other game) is not what you initially wanted, but it’s the best we can do. You will receive a separate email with a BIOS Steam key. You can play it or gift it.

I used to be a huge supporter of kickstarter and back a lot of stuff, but i just can’t do it anymore except in REALLY exceptional cases (Battletech). Too many high profile scams or high profile failures (Mighty no 9 i am looking at you). I’m much more forgiving of simple incompetence like Mighty no 9 sounds like than outright scams.

I dunno, man. I’ve cooled because I was spending too much money, but I’ve backed a few hundred projects and am averaging something like a 90-95% success rate. I think the big failures are pretty rare and a lot of them feel like something that was possible to see coming (e.g. Godus and Molyneux’s track record of massively overpromising - the degree of failure was surprising, not the fact of it; or the Yogsventure thing - Youtube celebrities pitch dream project, succeed because popular, neglect to have any idea what they’re doing in game production).

I have a pretty good success rates as well but the problem with video game is that by that time they become available, I’ve lost interest. For instance - Satellite Reign, Sunrise, Rebuild. I hope Planescape will be different though.

Projects that individuals here are involved in aside, I have not backed a video game KS since late 2014. They take too long, are fraught with too much risk and are horribly opaque in their true funding requirements/channels. For me, given the opportunity cost, it is money best spent elsewhere, particularly when I can just pick them up on release, if the ever make it, or on sale not long after.

Boardgames on the other hand…

Yea, I started with Zombies Run! for 10$ for my Android and ended up at 265$ for Star Citizen… since then the highest I’ve done has been 20$ or so. Last thing I KS’ed was Divinity Original Sin 2 and doubt there will be much Kickstarting in the future, thanks RSI. That is to say, I’d probably kickstart Divinity Original Sin 3 :-)

Man, that ReROLL subreddit is some angsty reading. People were screaming for refunds 10 months ago because they felt like the project had been abandoned.

Mighty No. 9.

Brutal.

Holy shit. Is that real?

EDIT - Of course it’s real, I mean who runs that Twitter account? Certainly no one from SEGA, right?

Inafune set himself up for that one.