Kickstarting and Screaming

High Frontier continues to struggle:

We received yet another delay to press from Panda in the last week, much to our continuing frustration with being what should be so close to a physical product. I have been waiting an extra couple of days to report in hopes of better news, but in order to keep the requested project transparency I opted to put this out for you all.

Panda is still asking for further modification to the card files, are asking for clarification on elements that have been part of the contract from the beginning, are now challenging the dimensions of the game board, and the file formatting of the box art. We also have had our continued attempts to get a time frame denied.

We understand that backers have suggested getting a different manufacturer, but Panda Manufacturing is a reputable producer and starting from scratch somewhere else is not likely to expedite things. As for every time that we have shared that our hope is that production is close, it has been completely true. Nobody on our team foresaw the level of delays we are experiencing but we continue to make the required adjustments and hope they are final.

Received a couple pictures of my Pursuit of Happiness game from Artipia Games in Greece. Apparently my package was returned (after two months of waiting), probably because the address on it had been almost completely washed away by water damage. Package is all beat to hell too. They’ve had all sorts of issues with delivery of this one. Ugh…

Did the boat sink?

Well, it didn’t sink. The front fell off.

Panda doesn’t seem to be the weakest link on most of the other board game kickstarters I’ve backed. I suppose there’s always the possibility that they got a terrible project manager or something, but it still boggles my mind that the publishers don’t take any responsibility at all in these updates.

That said, I’d actually prefer the printer continue to nitpick on cards and stuff until they’re sure the product is going to turn out in decent shape. Maybe we’ll see it all turn out ok someday!

I’m willing to wait on a version that is in good shape, although I understand that One Small Step probably just wants to get the game out so they can stop spending money on it and stop listening to kickstarter folks.

Yeah, Panda also produced Scythe, which, whatever you happen to think of the game, came out as a really great physical production.

This looks interesting:
Dual Universe Kickstarter

Like a No Mans Sky with a game. Or a mix between EVE, SW:G and Minecraft. It does sound a bit over-ambitious though - no pun to the French accents in their presentation video intended

The Kickstarter for the add-on to the generally well received Legends of Eisenwald has only 48 hours left to collect another 3.5k$.

Link to Eisenwald: Blood of November

It’s going to be pretty close.

This add-on is part of the season pass.

Legends of Eisenwald has reached the break even some time ago, but the developer isn’t optimistic about his chances to develop a sequel. He doubts he can find the ca. 1M$ needed for it.

I got my copy of Mythos Tales, and while the real proof is going to be in the pudding-like storytelling and writing quality, I have to say it looks really nice. It adds a touch more gaminess than Sherlock Holmes has (which I don’t need, but could be cool), the rules seem thoughtfully written, components are decent quality, and the stories are all inside a really nice looking hardcover book. Can’t wait to give it a whirl!

Plus, free candy!

Tactics CCG Land of Zion hit Kickstarter today. I played it at a local convention earlier this year and liked it a lot, so I’m in for an undecided amount that’ll depend on what money looks like at the end of the campaign.

EDIT: Aaaaaand they’re already canning it, after quite a few backers raised concerns about it being a CCG. They’re going to retool it as an LCG instead and relaunch the campaign early next year.

And the kickstarter for Arcen Games’ AI War 2 is up and running now!

My money is now firmly embedded where my mouth is.

I backed that so hard.

$15 I’m in. I shouldn’t linger on Kickstarter though as this drew my attention:

Just need to persuade the wife now.

Alex.

And backed. Thanks for linking it.

I really hope this funds. I fear it’s going to be tight, but Arcen probably has enough of us fans to pull this through.

So people, go fund this!

I was never able to get my head around the first AI War version. Will the sequel really be easier to learn? My experience is if the dev was confusing on one game they tend to do the same in the second even when they think they made it user friendly.

I never really got into the first as much as I wanted either, despite buying all the content.

Still, I’ll gladly pay $15 to not quite get into this one as well!

Totally backing AI War II.

Which reminds me I should probably go back and play the original. It has probably been like six years.