Kickstarting and Screaming

Reading comments that is apprently a fake update.

Posted about 5 hours after you posted your message:

Max Steiner Agency Inc. Creator 2 days ago

Yes - it’s real.
It came from another social media site posting that Jeremy did.

• Gloria

Actually, looking at the comments:

1. A backer posted in the comments with a fictional update, basically describing what he wanted to see in terms of an update from Soule (“Alright, that wasn’t written by Jeremy, but I wish it was”)

2. An official update appears with the exact same text (made by someone at Jeremy’s PR/marketing agency I guess)

3. Backers say WTF?

4. Jeremy Soule says via Facebook “I’m having one of my employees look into the kickstarter today.” (unfortunately he doesn’t’ say that he’ll take 10 minutes out of his precious day to post an official update himself)

5. The fake official update is still there

What a shit show.

Wow. That is…something.

No it’s not real. Gloria from Max Steiner Agency was trolled by someone appearing as Jeremy with “the dream apology we all wanted”.

I had completely forgotten about that kickstarter. I did back it as well, foolishly thinking that because it seemed like a big name person making it, it wasn’t a scam. It sure looks like a scam though so i have pretty much written it off.

I’m mostly just checking in on it every now and then to get some laughs at a badly mismanaged Kickstarter. It’s obvious that I’ll never actually get what I paid for.

Let’s have a real update on The Northerner!

[quote]
In spite of what you may hear…

The Northerner hasn’t been canceled and I’m persisting with my art on a difficult technical and creative path. The project has been delayed, true. I am truly sorry for this.And we have offered refunds to those that no longer wish to support the project.

But what you may not know is that separate and apart from my symphony, I’m developing technology that I believe millions of musicians will be using for their own music in the next several years. It is called RAINLINK and it is my answer to the limitations of the current instrument control protocol called MIDI. Unlike MIDI, RAINLINK is a cloud/client technology that brings scalability and cost savings in the production of music. It will make the creation of music more accessible for all musicians. I’ve also designed RAINLINK with a 40 year vision similar to how MIDI was created in 1981.

The decision I faced was a bit like being a game developer deciding whether or not to continue to develop a game for the Atari 2600 while knowing that something 132,000 times better could exist in a short timeframe. It is really that dramatic. So, I chose to develop the new technology not only for The Northerner, but also for the benefit of every musician on the planet. It is time for us to move beyond early 1980s instrument control.
The symphony will be utilizing this extraordinary new technology along with live musicians. We debuted RAINLINK at the NAMM convention in Anaheim this year. This is legit technology that is over 132,000 times higher resolution than MIDI. It is a profound leap forward for the global community of computer music makers which includes myself.

Up until this point, most everything you’ve heard me compose has been made in MIDI, with the exception of a few live orchestral projects. Highlights of my past MIDI projects include Guild Wars, Skyrim and my work on Star Wars. RAINLINK is truly the next revolution of music and I’m excited for you to hear it at work on The Northerner.
So for now, I will continue to take it on the chin from trolls and people who are rightfully upset about the delays. However, I persist. This isn’t for me. This is for the world’s music and this is for you!

My only personal hope for The Northerner is that the music is crafted well enough to live beyond me. I feel confident I made the right decisions. But while this may not be the easiest path, developing technologies and writing a symphony seemed to go hand in hand for me.

So remember, if you’re a backer and you no longer wish to support The Northerner, please private message us at Kickstarter and we will send you your refund. Of course, I am heartbroken to potentially lose your support, but I am going to continue and make the music to the best of my abilities. I’m also driven to innovate not only for my own music but for everyone’s music.

This journey north has been hard but worth it. Thanks for your support.
Sincerely yours,
Jeremy

P.S. the latest update on Kickstarter wasn’t from me but a fan. I agreed with the sentiments of what he said so the agency did post his words as an update (partially by mistake). But in retrospect, I am coming from a place of humility when I say I’m trying my best. You deserve that! Thank you again![/quote]

Not better at all.

Every time someone says “cloud” nowadays I just roll my eyes. At any rate what he’s talking about is wanting closer fidelity without the need to pay for instrumentalists ie. I want to get rich by having everyone switch from midi and real musicians to license my replacement, thanks for the 100k investment I don’t need to pay you back.

It’s always fascinating to observe the same thought patterns from people who are late on delivery. It’s also kind of painful because it forces me to see if I’ve fallen into the same rationalizations.

I wonder how he defines the difference between a troll and people who are unhappy… maybe the right level of unhappiness ?

High Frontier may finally be entering the End Game stage. It’s in California riding the rails

Giant robot boardgame from Weta Workshop and Cryptozoic.

Here is the trailer:

And a good preview on Man vs Meeple:

I have to say I’m very tempted. but I’m not done with Mechs vs Minions. And all those boxes are not going to fit well in the allocated boardgame space. :/

This one looks pretty cool too:

And the Deluxe Edition is very close in price to the standard one. Tempting.

Now they claim they will ship Monday.

For the US, no word yet on EU or other areas.

Watch them all have water damage, cards are missing or something awful.

Oh man…

Hello,

I am not sure if self promotion is allowed, but our kickstarter project just went live.

Thanks,
-Joe