Kickstarting and Screaming

They reached 125% of their goal.
Looks cool, although from what I can gather from browsing Steam a lot of promising games just get abandoned. Hopefully not the case here.

I do note I think they made a mistake in offering “exclusive Kickstarter DLC”. I suspect they will need to roll that one back eventually. But they definitely finished strong. We’ll see where they are in 18 months. ;>

They posted it on Rock Paper Scissors

Well…got on the kickstarter bandwagon…like an idiot.

Backed:

Gloomhaven
One Deck Dungeon: Forest of Shadows
Deep Space D-6
Black Orchestra
Street Masters
1066: Tears to many mothers
Helionox, Deluxe Edition

I am excited for all but Gloomhaven. For some reason I just have to get that game…whether I want to or not.

Pumped for Street Masters as I think my kid will like to play it…and I keep having issues finding things he wants to play…if I can ever get him off the PS4 that is.

Police Stories looks like an RPG version of Door Kickers. Last48 hours. $15 for Steam.

Ohhhhhh, looks vaguely SWATish. I’m in.

You know what game needs a remake? Future Cop LAPD.

I recently found out about that game. Finding a PC copy has been difficult.

I played it on a Mac, back in the day.

Developed in Russia, huh? Luckily you’ll be playing as police and not their special forces.

Awesome. :)

Don’t worry, it already reached its goal. There’s even a free demo.

Good news is I was already motion sick.

FYI, you can turn off all of the swaying and bobbing.

Neil Degrasse Tyson’s game is up on kickstarter now - seems to have gotten a strong start.

Sounds kinda cool but looks like it’s at a very early stage, no? And it seems they’re trading on Neil’s popularity to a large extent - not that this is inherently bad; they can generate a lot of buzz. But they need to back it up with solid development - and it seems like nothing is behind it (yet). They claim August 2018 as the delivery, but I’ve never seen a video game on kickstarter hit the release date, so I wouldn’t expect it until August 2019.

I eagerly await seeing the development of this happen but I’m not going to back it here.

FYI, at the end of the video, they reference the Space Odyssey Game website - amusingly, it redirects to the kickstarter page. So we’re way early in the process.

Kinda reminds of overly ambitious projects like No Mans Sky?

This. Looks fantastic if executed, but I am wary. The KS amount is relatively small, though they say they have other investors. I’m tempted, but the game looks so ambitious.

I should be excited about Space Odyssey, but I’ve read the kickstarter page and looked at the videos and still can’t figure out what the heck it is. Seems like they’ve got a bunch of ideas but it’s way, way too early in development. Considering they are not using the Kickstarter for funding of the game itself (so they say) – just for community-building and testing – I don’t understand why they didn’t do the Kickstarter when they were further along and had soomething to show other than concept art.

Also, this just gives me the heebie jeebies:

There will be DLCs down the road and the ability to accelerate building and gameplay with micro-transactions, but they are not required to play the full scope of the game upon release. There may be sponsor-drops of cool gadgets and assets for all players. We are discussing that for down the road. That will likely occur after the standard release of the game (but you never know-life is full of surprises.)

Sponsor drops?

Anyway, I sort of doubt they are going to hit their goal unless they can drum up some major enthusiasm, and there’s nothing here making me enthusiastic. They’ve been up for a month and they’ve got three pretty ho-hum updates.

I’m not excited about Space Odyssey at all. It looks like a scam with barely any there there. And where’s NDT pimping this shit with his name on it? Super sketch to me.