Kickstarting and Screaming

Very cool - I forgot to jump in for the extra .pdfs but glad it’s being reprinted!

The folks who made Immortal Redneck (and other stuff) are kickstarting a MMO called Pokemon Temtem. You collect Pokemon Temtem, trade/battle/breed them, and fight against gym dojo leaders and Team Rocket Clan Belsoto.

I’m kind of on board with it. I like their focus on competitive battles with no randomness and a ranked ladder. One of the stretch goals is a Nintendo Switch version, which is cool. But by the time the game actually releases (targeted for Spring 2020!), I’ll have an actual Pokemon game on the Switch available to me.

They’ve already met their goal, though, so I guess I can always just wait for the full release.

I saw it and my reaction was basically that my problem with Pokemon was never that the PvP wasn’t hardcore enough. I looked through their stuff trying to find meaningful variation that wasn’t PvP based and didn’t find it, so it’s a pass for me.

There will be an actual (and official) Pokémon game available on the Switch well before that, you know.

True! But I was thinking more about the new mainline games that will be out at the end of 2019. I’m definitely getting the Let’s Go games, but I do consider them in a different camp from the mainline games.

One of the artists I work with and his wife, a paleontologist, run a little business via Kickstarter making plushies of prehistoric critters you’ve probably never heard of. They are running a new Kickstarter, this time for these amazingly designed enamel pins:

Here’s their main website where you can get the plushies.

http://www.paleopalstoys.com/

Also, I bought in to this very slick looking resource management card game. My policy is: If I wish I’d designed it, I should probably back it!

Queen’s Breath h its 75k and the 4th realm. Vogel announced what I assume is the final stretch goal too: if they hit 100k he hires professional sound people to make professional sounds!

Xenonaughts Part Deux is live:

I would think this will make.

It’s a Fig “investment” rather than an actual Kickstarter project, but otherwise I figure it fits in here: looks like the Xenosis top-down space survival horror game I backed reached its Xbox One platform stretch goal, which makes me happy. I was hoping it might reach improved graphics/sounds and extended campaign, but I’ll take what I can get.

I haven’t decided whether to go forward with this one or not but the draft rules are available and… raccoons! Actually there are many very nicely done animals. it looks kind of interesting, not super complicated but a buying and selling element which I love.

I backed it.

Xenonaughts 2 is already at 123K with 28 days to go: “hit two stretch goals”.

I sometimes have to ask myself, is it worth the 1 time a year I would use this… no, but my geek self likes it. It’s also super ugly.

Would you carry that all day? I just use a duffel bag and if I am staying in a hotel for a convention go to my room if I need a game.

It also looks really uncomfortable to wear. A box with straps is not a backpack. All the game boxes are going to be digging into your back, and it doesn’t have a proper waist strap. You’re better off going to a camping supply place and getting a real backpack that just happens to be big enough for your boardgames. Then you can also use it for camping or other uses. Probably be same price or cheaper too.

Hit a third in the next two days. The three goals are:

#1 Modular Weapons (£50,000 - UNLOCKED!)
#2 Geoscape Situations (£75,000 - UNLOCKED!)
#3 Locational Injuries (£100,000 - UNLOCKED!)

It’s currently sitting at 109k of whatever that made up currency is. Here is a post about the stretch goals so far.

heck no. I use a suitcase with wheels to get a fair amount of games in and out of my car when I visit and someone wants me to bring a few. It’s usually an exercise in tetris though no matter which suitcase I use, except the giant one which I don’t use, to get them in there. I’d like a better option, an easier one, is all. This is not it. too expensive and awkward and ugly, but I do like someone is trying to come up with… something.
+

Ha, great find with that board game backback @Nesrie. I think it looks okay in black and green and it’s probably comfortable enough for a little while. I don’t think it’s something you carry for a long time anyway, although I guess putting some wheels in there would make sense. But the price… 200 bucks with the version with all the bells on? Eh, no thanks. I’ll never carry enough board games around to justify that.

I have no idea if anyone here remembers French indie RPG Winter Voices. It was released several years ago, had some issues, most notably a rocky translation, and the giant millstone of having been written in Flash around its neck. But it was really quite unique in its conception: a bereaved woman travelling and coming to grips with the traumas of her past. It still used a sort of combat, but you weren’t killing and looting enemies but facing down fears and memories, using a large tree of skills based on coping strategies. It was also episodic, and the company that originally sold it went out of business, forcing the primary creator to obtain the rights themself and with great effort finish out the story and do a final polishing pass.

Well, they are now Kickstarting a followup called Child of the Pyre:

This time, in an actual fuckin’ game engine. I don’t think it’s the sort of thing that will be anywhere near everyone’s cup of tea, but fans of unique takes on the RPG genre should at least give it a look.