Kid shot while playing video games

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=350&e=3&cid=350&u=/kpix/20030318/lo_kpix/6082

Why are video games such a big part of this article? If the kid was, instead, eating breakfast, would the title say “Child Shot While Eating Eggos!”?

I swear sometimes. Loudly, even.

Try this link…works even better.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=350&e=3&cid=350&u=/kpix/20030318/lo_kpix/6082

Wow, that’s stupid. Gotta love the media. Or not.

War declared while I thought about video games.

Actually, I’ve read a lot of stories like “Kid shot while eating breakfast” or “Kid shot while jumping rope” or “Man stabbed while changing tire.”

Jeez, you gamers are awful sensitive.

Troy

I think you guys are being oversensitive here. What the child was doing is relevant to this story because the kid was doing something innocent. Something totally unreleted to being shot. In that way, you could look at it as a vindication of videogames. If the boy was taking a bath while eating Eggos it would say: “Boy shot while taking a bath” or, if you’d prefer, “Boy shot while eating breakfast” (no, they wouldn’t mention the Eggos JFeil). If he’d been sleeping it would say “Boy shot while sleeping”. There’s no anti-videogame agenda here.

Not every news story that mentions videogames is also disrespecting videogames.

I agree that I am overly sensitive to these things. However, the headline of the article clearly wants the reader to relate videogames and the violence of being shot. If the reporter wanted to make the boy seem innocent, he should have written “Child shot while playing.”

to which people would say “huh, playing what? with a gun? with an eggo? playing piano?”

to which people would say “huh, playing what? with a gun? with an eggo? playing piano?”[/quote]

yes but then people would read the story and learn what happened. I don’t think there was any need to mention video games in the title.

to which people would say “huh, playing what? with a gun? with an eggo? playing piano?”[/quote]

yes but then people would read the story and learn what happened. I don’t think there was any need to mention video games in the title.[/quote]

This is a Yahoo! transcript of a KPIX local newscast.

Let’s keep some perspective here.

Unless people are either knee-jerk defenders of video-games or knee-jerk detractors of video-games, your average reader/listener reads that headline with a minimal amount of baggage.

Troy