Killing Cancer Cells Made Easy?

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn10971&feedId=online-news_rss20

It sounds almost too good to be true: a cheap and simple drug that kills almost all cancers by switching off their “immortality”. The drug, dichloroacetate (DCA), has already been used for years to treat rare metabolic disorders and so is known to be relatively safe.

It also has no patent, meaning it could be manufactured for a fraction of the cost of newly developed drugs.

It should be interesting to see what happens with that.

Is this related to telomerase? Nope, actually though this has some interesting potential.

I wonder if patients could use this drug to self-medicate particularly bad cancers if they have run out of further options until studies have been performed.

Since it is already approved for human use for other things, doctors could theoretically prescribe it for ‘off label’ use, although I’d say that’s fairly unlikely.

Go Canada! Here’s hoping the promising initial results hold up.

If they had a patient in dire straights, what would be the harm?

Not really. The main impedance to off-label subscription is insurance won’t cover it, which makes it prohibitively expensive for patented medicines or things that are really difficult to synthesis or collect (like taxol). For a generic and remarkably simple chemical that just won’t be much of an issue.

It doesn’t make you throw up all the time or all your hair fall out. In fact, its main side-effect is sedation. If it were me, I’d try this first.

I have a student who helped work on something similar. I’m not sure I’m suppose to give the details, but essentially scientists are very close to having all sorts of ways to attack/destroy/kill cancer cells with minimal to no damage to healthy cells.

That’s very hopeful sounding news. I hope it works out.

After 2 and 1/2 months of witnessing the ravages of chemo., I sure hope this comes to fruition. Although, sometimes a bald wife is kinda hot. Like having sex with a stranger.

i thought chemo killed sex drives too. that’s !@#4ing awesome, ty. well, it’s not, but you know what i mean. friend of mine had to lop off both tits and chemo, and then another round of chemo a few months later. sexy was something she was not feeling.

Well there is a week to ten days of feeling like absolute shit during the 2 weeks between treatments. However, if you can catch your significant other on that 4 day upswing…you are golden (so to speak).

It is amazing what you learn to deal with once you process the shit that goes down in you life.

Well, this is hot hot hot news for my family, since my mom’s breast cancer has apparently returned in bone marrow brand now.

Ouch. Sympathies, Aszurom.

Well, we found out the deal today. The oncologist says 2-3 months maybe.

• Patients who survive cancer treatment with alkylating agents, with or without radiotherapy, have a high risk of developing MDS or secondary acute leukemia.

• Secondary MDS describes the development of MDS or acute leukemia after known exposures to chemotherapy drugs that can cause bone marrow damage. These drugs are associated with a high prevalence of chromosomal abnormalities (following exposure and at the time of MDS or acute leukemia diagnosis).

Quoted from http://www.emedicine.com/med/topic2695.htm

I guess this new cure won’t likely help in this case if it’s chromasomal deformity of the bone marrow. Doesn’t seem like the mitochondia and glycolysis are really at the root of this one… although I don’t know enough about the leukemia it morphs into to know if maybe that can be held in check by it.

If anybody has a clue about this stuff and thinks DCA would have any beneficial effect here, let me know. Also, if I need to get ahold of this stuff, is there some internet “Tijuana Rx” pharmacy that will just let me buy it no questions asked?