KIMI - Steven Soderbergh and Zoe Kravits made a movie during lockdown

I am going with awesome. Once the van was surround though I knew they wouldn’t get away. I was in it from start to almost finish. The bad guys are all dispatched so effortlessly. Maybe that was the point? I dunno.

I feel like in most other hands, this would have been over-earnest, labored, and sunk by the shoddy script. But there’s a lightness and… maybe not frivolity, but perhaps casualness to Soderbergh’s low-budget films that really helps this. Like Unsane, it feels a bit like a sketch or napkin doodle from an extremely talented artist–just because it was produced quickly (and cheaply) doesn’t mean that it’s not an enjoyable and well-made piece of art.

I also enjoyed the location filming in Seattle, and recognized pretty much every spot they filmed in once she left her building. I was also a bit amused by her circuitous path through the city, and called out to my TV that she was headed to the wrong building, and the FBI office is a few blocks north. The federal building she went to is mainly the IRS and GSA. But it’s also a much more photogenic location.

Just watched it. Soderbergh is known for working very efficiently, and this screams like the perfect pandemic production. Basically just one character and one location for the vast majority of the movie.

I’m pretty sure they used the Expedia campus in Interbay. My siblings work there. They definitely used the pedestrian bridge.

Also, David Koepp wrote it? Didn’t know that. Soderbergh and Koepp. Crazy.

Insane, never would have guessed it would go in that direction from the trailer.

I’ve watched a few things lately that looked like they were going to be criticisms of tech but then weren’t, like Devs. What’s a good movie that does? Closest I can think of is Sorry To Bother You.

Well there’s always Black Mirror.

I just saw this on an airplane returning from vacation. I didn’t have any expectations because I had forgotten this movie existed!

Thought it was a servicable thriller movie. I did like Zoe Kravitz’ acting but nothing else stands out for me. The biggest issue that bothered me was Kimi’s agoraphobia - they take pains to demonstrate how crippling it is in the beginning when she texts her buddy to meet at the taco truck (but then can’t bring herself to exit the apartment), but later on in the movie when the plot requires her to go outside and interact with people, she just goes ahead and does it with very few issues. I suppose I thought they’d have some clever way of involving her agoraphobia into the latter part of the movie.

It reminded me a bit of the movie Enemy of the State. Only nowadays the person in peril isn’t a high ranking government official but instead a tech mogul. Seems appropriate for the times in which we live.

When she finally leaves the apartment it absolutely feels like a major effort on her part. She sticks to walls and corners, her body language is all tense, it’s like she’s constantly on the edge of a panic attack. The camera is always on weird angles and perspectives. At least that’s how I remember it, it’s been a few months since I watched it.

Oh, looks like someone already said it:

I wonder how much of the camerawork is lost when you watch on a plane’s small screen? Maybe we can get David Lynch in here to wag his finger at us! :)