Kindle eBooks Bargain Thread

Ultimate Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy is $4 on Google Books, so Amazon price matched on the Kindle, and I got it on Kindle.

I’ve read those 5 books multiple times, but that was years ago. And an ebook just seems like the most appropriate format for the Hitchhiker’s Guide. It was always meant to be this way! :)

Limited time offer. My novel The Uno Affair is available for free for five days at Amazon’s Kindle store. Get one before they run out ;)

Neat! You already have 4+ review stars, too.

Thanks! Grabbed a copy 'cuz it sounds pretty good. It’s next in the queue.

Nice Andy. Purchased for free but I hope it helps you out in some way. I’ll see what I can do about writing a review once I’ve read it.

I had already purchased it, but have not read it yet :-(

Same boat, Seppey. I keep meaning to.

Thanks guys. New reviews always welcome.

Shameless plug warning.

Hot off the press. I just released my personal memoir “Six Years at Speed” on all major ebook sites (Kindle, Kobo, iTunes, Barnes & Noble Nook, etc.) for the bargain price of $1.99 (US). The book describes my formative formula car racing years (Formula Ford, Formula Atlantic) while struggling to break into the pro racing ranks.

Short description…
Former Formula Ford champion and Formula Atlantic driver Andy Mahood describes his early racing career in vivid detail. From Westwood and the Pacific Northwest Championship to the Canadian Grand Prix circuit in Montreal, the on-track action and behind-the-scenes struggles of one of Canada’s most promising racers comes to life in this compelling and often humorous personal memoir.

Long description…
Six Years at Speed is the autobiography of a race car driver. As a former Formula Ford champion and Formula Atlantic competitor in the early eighties, Andy Mahood battled accomplished drivers, financial downturns, and even basic laws of physics as he pushed his cars and his career as far and as fast as he could. It’s a story of family and friendship set against a backdrop of speed and struggle on classic racing circuits like Westwood, Montreal, SIR, Mosport, and Trois Rivieres. There are no World Championships or Indy 500 victories here. What there is is a lot of racing. Grass roots racing for the most part. Races that few people will have seen or have cause to remember, but races that take on an importance all their own when you take yourself back to when they happened. Written by former PC Gamer columnist Andy Mahood—author of the critically acclaimed espionage thriller “The Uno Affair”—Six Years at Speed is laced with humour, emotion, and non-stop racing action.
Strap in and enjoy this compelling personal memoir of one of Canada’s most promising racing talents. It goes by fast.

Amazon Kindle link - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BDEB5NM
Kobo link - https://store.kobobooks.com/en-ca/ebook/six-years-at-speed-a-motorsport-memoir
iTunes link - https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/id1080925546
Nook link - http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/six-years-at-speed-andy-mahood/1123356329?ean=2940152829143

Lotsa racing. Lotsa humor. Enjoy.

Nice classic SF Humble Bundle:

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/scificlassics_bookbundle

Looks like they may be PDFs. Does that make much of a difference?

You can email pdf’s to your kindle email address and they’ll show up in your account, so not really.

Anyone ever see The Magicians (and subsequent titles) drop on Kindle? $12 is a little rich for an ebook in my book (I thought Amazon went through that whole huge spat with Apple and the gov’t and that one pissy publisher to be able to set their own prices for ebooks, anyway), but I just started watching the Syfy adaptation of the series and am hardcore digging it.

I paid $3 back in June of last year. I doubt they’ll drop it anytime soon since the show will be driving demand. Unless they want to drive demand for the show, I suppose. But I think it’s doing better than that.

Scroll down, Mark. They say this about file format, =P

“Read them anywhere. These books are available in PDF, ePUB, and MOBI formats, meaning you can read them anywhere at anytime. Instructions and a list of recommended reading programs can be found here.”

For Kindle, you can email PDFs to your kindle email address and they’ll appear in your account.

Thats a nice collection. Its got some good stuff by Roger Zelazny and Alfred Bester. Grabbed it, thanks for the heads up.

It does. What I find weird is how heavy it is on the Amber books John Gregory Betancourt wrote after Zelazny’s death without including a single one of the ones Zelazny himself wrote (i.e. the actual classics). I haven’t read Betancourt’s work and I don’t want to criticize it without having done so, but…there was only one Zelazny and Betancourt isn’t him.

And even Zelazny’s Amber follow-up wasn’t nearly as good as the first Chronicles. Corwin was just a much stronger character than Merlin.

But this thread did get me to finally send Unicorn Variations to a writer-friend - a) because that story (and so many of his other short stories) are that good and b) because of his little anecdotes about writing it (and them) in that collection.

I loved the origin of Unicorn Variations, where he had 3 offers to write themed short stores (1 about Unicorns, 1 set in a bar, and 1 involving a chess match) and his author buddy said - “why don’t you write a story about a Unicorn playing chess and set it in a bar and sell it to all 3 publications?” and he did ;)

I don’t know much about Zelazny, so this bundle is a big unknown for me, for the most part. The short stories collections from Isaac Asimov are one of the weakest collection of his Robot stories, IIRC. I read all those books back in 1989/90, so maybe I’m mis-remembering. And Bester’s two books I’ve heard of (the two award winners I’ve always meant to read) are both in the $15 category.

Are all the Zelazny books standalone, or are they parts of series where the whole series isn’t part of the bundle?

Still, I’m tempted to get the bundle just for The Stars My Destination and Demolished Man. They’re both rare holes in my science fiction reading.

It’s still a good bundle. Bester is consistently amazing for the sadly few books he wrote (I think all of his novels are in this bundle), and the Zelazny books that are in this bundle are standalone and generally decent (Damnation Alley’s quite well regarded, for example). But the ten Amber books are probably his crowning achievement and constitute two series of five. None of which are present, yet. And I doubt you’d want to read Betancourt’s version without having read them. (Personally I’ve never wanted to read Betancourt’s Amber books at all for the aforementioned “not Zelazny” reason).