Kindle eBooks Bargain Thread

I got a whopping $3.14. It showed up when I was purchasing something as a gift card balance so if You fake buy something you can see any credits there.

Same here. Not sure if I should spend it or just put it all on red and let it ride.

If you’re like me and do subscribe and save then you might discover that your credit was already used up if it’s shipping time. Oh well, still saved $14.

I got 10 bucks. Woo!

I got a $1.57. Boo! I guess I shouldn’t complain though as I almost never shop at Amazon for books and I don’t live in the US anyways. Now if only Kobo would give me a credit.

I got $0.00. I guess I never made a purchase that qualified for a credit. Come to think of it, the only thing I’ve ever bought there have been books that are on sale.

That’s true for me too, pretty much. I don’t think that mattered (which is kind of hilarious because I think at this point I’ve been paid to buy them). You just had to have bought them during whatever window of time they were including in the settlement. (Which was $1.57 per book for most books, for the record. Something over $6 for NYT bestsellers, of which I buy approximately zero.) I dunno, maybe you had to opt in and I just forgot I’d done that, or maybe you just weren’t buying Kindle books during the right period.

Hmmm, googling details on the settlement:

In order to qualify, you need to have purchased an ebook published by Hachette, HarperCollins, Simon & Schuster, Penguin, or Macmillan, between April 1st, 2010, and May 21st, 2012.

I’m pretty sure I bought my first smart phone in 2013, so I wouldn’t have bought any ebooks before 2013. So you’re right malkav11, I wouldn’t have bought any ebooks within that time period.

I got $41, which was very unexpected – I don’t think of myself as a big e-book buyer. I wonder if this also applied to audiobooks, which I consume like oxygen?

Yeah I believe audiobooks would be a part of it.

I also got a $3 credit for “qualified Amazon customers” the other day that was ebook specific.

— Alan

I got about $30! I’d JUST spent around $100 on randomy stuff, so the timing was TERRIBLE, but yay!

$121! I’ll just spend it on more e-books :)

Thanks for the heads up. I checked and a free $40 for fun money is welcome :)

During the class action suit window, I was using a nook. I have $75 with B&N.

How did you find the amount? I have something awaiting me too, but I can’t find the amount anywhere.

Was this question ever answered? For some reason (I’m guessing because of the quoted post) I added this book to my wishlist. So Amazon told me it’s on sale today for $2.99 (again).

Oh, I found it in a different thread, the reason why I added it to the wishlist. I love the genre of students learning at an institute together. And I asked if more books were in that genre, and @inactive_user named Red Rising (which I’m currently reading) and The Rithmatist as another book in that sub-genre.

So I’m going to get it just based on that. Not enough books or anime or TV shows in that sub-genre.

I enjoyed both quite a bit, hope they don’t disappoint!

You should try a couple of indie series I’ve enjoyed, the Central series by Zachary Rawlins, and with a caveat, the Zero series by B. Justin Shier. (The caveat on the latter being that as far as I can tell Shier has disappeared from public life without completing the series. Rawlins isn’t super fast but does still seem to be writing Central and the fourth book (of a planned five) hit last year.)

As long as you don’t expect the full polish of a pro publisher (and I believe at least the earlier Central books have had a couple of cleanup passes by now), they’re fun rides that center on the sort of academic setting you mention.

What happened to the Rithmatist as a series? It seems like this book has been waiting for a sequel for a long time (although not yet by GRRM standards). I’m not even sure if I have this book in my collection, it’s been so long. I do think I have Red Rising though. I’ll have to put that on the reading shortlist.

Awww, it’s an unfinished series?

As for Red Rising, it took me a few months to get through all the parts that setup the scenario. But now I’m finally getting there. The main character just passed an entrance exam and will finally get to go to the institution where he’ll be a student.

To be fair, the writing has been pretty snappy and easy to read. I just was really slow in getting through it because I was promised a classroom and I got the mines at the beginning of the book.

It was worth the wait though. It’s a very intriguing setup.

Interesting. I was not aware of the existence of Indie books. Both series wishlisted! Thanks.