Kindle Unlimited - Netflix for books

Someone else thinks so too! I still said it first. :)

The launch of Kindle Unlimited last month has many questioning the value of public libraries, with one pundit on Forbes even going so far as to proclaim that the U.K. could save money by shuttering all its libraries and replacing them with Kindle Unlimited subscriptions. Luckily for libraries, they’re safe for now because they still beat Kindle Unlimited and its competitors in at least one category: content you want to read.

And books are far from the only thing libraries have to offer. I imagine they’ll change significantly in the years to come as digital media takes over, but actually closing them would be bad for their communities.

Sad to say, loads of libraries are closing here in the UK, simply because councils don’t have the cash to run them…many councils will have seen 30-40% cuts from 2010 levels by 2015, with more sharp cuts on the way, and the stuff they’re legally required to do consumed about 55% of the average council’s budget in 2010.

Libraries are not in that category…they can be closed, so they are being closed. There’s no real choice, sadly.

Well, there is, but that discussion takes things into P&R territory.

Yea, sorry.

So anyway, the idea’s nice, but…selection.

So let’s dust off a 6 year old thread, shall we?

I’m considering signing up for Kindle Unlimited, and much like the original posters noted back in the olden days of 2014, I’m curious if the available books make it worth the $9.99 price tag. Sure, I can get the first month free, but is it worth hanging on for additional months? I can do the math and say “If I buy at least two books a month it’ll cost me more than $10,” but that’s only if the books are available on KU.

Full Disclosure: I don’t consider myself a voracious reader. I probably average 2-3 books a month, but that number fluctuates from 4-6 in winter to zero in summer. I’m hoping that if KU has a good selection of books I’ll be tempted to read more - which is always a good thing. Also, as a nerd I’m interested in typical nerd subjects: sci-fi, fantasy, history, etc.

How 'bout it QT3 Hive Mind? Do you use Kindle Unlimited, and it it worth ten bucks a month?

KU is a good value prop if you’re willing to take a chance on reading. The program is growing quickly and the book selection rotates on a monthly basis, so there’s little risk of consuming everything available.

I enjoy it.

There aren’t a lot of big name authors on KU, but there are some that have a book or two on KU. A lot of what you see are indie authors.

If you’re an author the deal is if you want to be in KU then you have to agree to not have your book on other platforms. Amazon will bend that rule for some, like JK Rowling, whose Potter books are on KU.

Most of the books in KU sell for $5 or less, so you need to read at least a couple of books a month for it to make sense economically. What is nice is that you can start a book and read 20 pages and then ditch it, and not feel like you lost much. Or you can decide to skim to the end just to see how it turns out.

I like KU but I read a lot of indie stuff. It’s great for that. I’d say the real bargain is probably investigating your local library to see what their ebook selection is like. You usually have to read the book in two weeks, though.

If you do not finish a book and your sub runs out does it still remember where you left off if you start your sub again and pick the book again?

Yeah it remembers. I subscirbe off and on and to the service and have had several books pick up where I left off months or even years ago.

I look every once in a while to see if there is a sale on Kindle Unlimited and I was offered a free trial of three months. Which I took. But i was a bit confused since I usually subscribe whenever there is a sale. I noticed a price hike so maybe they are giving free trials out again?

This is on sale again for BF. I got two months for 99 cents.

I wish it was easier to find things worth reading on the service.
I’ve accidently borrowed more than a handful of stupid AI books.

If anyone is into comics IDW has a great selection. Sonic the Hedgehog (they’re actually good!), ninja turtles, D&D etc. The whole Scott Pilgrim is there as well.