Kingdom Come: Deliverance

Steam says I have 114 hours played. There are still times, mostly during combat and when asked to pickpocket or stealth, that I feel like I am still in “the difficult n00b portions” of the game.

As @Wo1verine and @Scuzz mention above though, it will take several hours before you are skilled enough and well equipped enough to venture out on your own with any real success. Thankfully those hours are filled with interesting storylines, quests and NPCs that will keep you busy and entertained. My recommendation is to take short breaks between each segment of the initial main quests and work on things like your combat skills and core stats, which can be increased by training in both Talmberg and Rattay. I also spent extra time in Skalitz, during the tutorial part of the game, to work up skills and stats a bit. No need to go overboard (some YouTube videos recommend spending hours knocking people out, dragging them to the river and punching their floating unconscious bodies over and over to build up Strength and Unarmerd…that is insane), just give yourself an edge in the early game by utilizing every opportunity to skill up.

I saw videos that recommended building up your lockpick stat by going into town at night and picking all the locks, over and over again. I found for lockpicking I had to use KB/M instead of my x-box controller. Once I did that it worked easily. I did do the picking flowers and herbs thing over and over again. You could sell them and you gained strength points if you had previously chosen that perk.

I think I put over 100 hours into the game as well. A great world to explore.

I’ve been playing this, and had to take a break. I have two quests that are pushing on me and both very frustrating: gather Cuman equipment for the disguise, and sneak into the camp and survey/sabotage. My stealth is around 11-12 I think, and my gear is ranked as “Quiet: 0” (although I don’t have much defense in that) but I can’t sneak around camp without being spotted. I’ve taken out several camps of Cumans, but we’re getting to the point now that the ones I’m up against have one or two VERY WELL ARMORED guys, a dog (I don’t have the DLC, so I don’t have my own dog yet, but damn they’re annoying when on the other side) and generally 4 or 5 total guys who don’t seem to sleep. They’re both very frustrating, as I’m getting my ass handed to me in combat, and can’t sneak through the camp, and I have fewer and fewer side quests to occupy me and help me level up.

I still struggle with combat in this game. I’m like level 12, I’m pretty well equipped, and have decent (level 10-11, I think?) skill with a sword, but these Cuman camps are still frustrating as hell.

Overall I’ve really enjoyed the game, I love the world and I love the characters and the general mechanics of the game, but I’ve reached a frustration level where I opted to take a break and play something else and come back in a few weeks.

IIRC there is cuman gear in a chest next to the camp in a shack on the right side of the camp (from the small bridge PoV). If you have decent speech level that disguise can help out. Or black clothes. If you are talking about the quest where you can sabotage the arrows and stuff.

I remember the way I did it was to go from lower part of the camp, poisoning the cauldrons and making my way up, and when poisoning the last one up there they saw me, so I started running away and when running I set fire to their arrows on the way. So I did all the sub-objectives of that quest but I had to run for my life (and did manage to escape).

I was not able to find the gear or the arrows to poison, but by merely checking out the camp, and finding a good spot for a sneak attack (the game actually tells you when you find it) I was able to lead the good guys back and win the battle.

I think at that point in the game my sneak level was 3-4. Not good enough to pull the full sneak off.

I did that Cuman/Bandit camp quest earlier than it sounds like you are, but I did the Cuman disguise one a lot later. I wish I had known about the disguise one earlier though, because everything you need is right there in the camp, and you don’t even have to kill anyone to get it (well, one person, see below). You can finish both quests without needing to sneak much or even get involved in combat until the end. Minor spoiler follows…

Approach the camp from the north, at dusk is best, and you can sneak if you like as it will provide extra cover from patrols. Along the northern edge of the ruined buildings surrounding the camp is a barn-type building which has an entrance from the outside. Sneak into there, and find a bottle of poison on a barrel and a Very Easy locked chest. Pick the lock, and loot the Cuman gear inside of it. Put on the armor and helmet, and now you can walk around in both the Cuman and Bandit halves of the camps. On the Bandit side, nobody will challenge you (they’ll just make snide comments), but if you get too close to other Cumans on their side, you will be challenged. You can choose options to fool them into thinking you’re Cuman a couple of times before they catch on. You have a good sneak skill, so you can probably work your way through the Cuman side poisoning their food pots if it’s nighttime and you’re careful. I recommend doing pots first (you may have to knock out some Cumans) in both camps, then arrows, because the second you light the first barrel of arrows on fire everyone comes after you.

To be honest though, you don’t need to poison a single pot or burn any arrows. All you need to do is scout the camp effectively, then report back. The battle that ensues will be tougher on Sir Radzig’s men if you didn’t sabotage anything, but they will still win in the end. When the battle begins, you can snipe from the edges or try stabbing a few isolated Cumans and Bandits, but if you try to stand in the front line with the soldiers, you’re likely to get slaughtered. The only required combat in the sequence is the fight with Runt at the end. Once the battle has ended, there is a chest in the Cuman tent near that barn from before, close to the food pot, which contains a crapton of Cuman gear. You can get the three chest armor pieces and three closed helmets you need for the Cuman Disguise quest from that single chest, no need to raid camps or anything.

I’ve spent the last few hours in this game just going around knocking out minor side quests like the Charlatan, Hare Hunt, etc. and hunting down treasure maps and looting their locations. I am at the point in the main quest where once I take the next step, the endgame quest sequence starts, and I don’t really want to end the game yet. I know you can keep playing afterwards, but I just don’t want the story to end, so I’m delaying it by doing lots of other little stuff while rebuilding Pribyslavitz and beefing up skills.

I’m pretty sure that’s exactly where I was trying to sneak in, but haven’t been able to do more than poison one pot without getting caught. I haven’t tried the disguise option yet though – sounds like that’ll free me up quite a bit. I DO want to do at least some of the sabotaging, just because…that’s how I am, lol. I’ll try nabbing that disguise and see if that gets me over this hump. Thanks!

I’m getting near the end I think, or at least I am on track towards it. I just finished the Monastery quest (for the amount everyone was complaining about it I found it pretty underwhelming). I knocked out all of my available sidequests, and decided to do the Teresa part of A Woman’s Lot before proceeding to the endgame. I think I’d like to wrap it up this weekend as I’ve been playing it for months and I’ve probably got 200 hours in it.

How I beat the Monastery Quest: I hid some lockpicks in a drawer before starting. I mentioned that I was looking for the thief… to the thief, who poisoned me at the first meal and revealed himself. Then I unlocked a door to the outside, ran back, choked him out, carried him outside, killed him, and threw the body under the bridge. QUEST SOLVED! Unfortunately, I was seen, so now I am banned from Sasau and one other town - it’s got the prison bar icon on the map. So that will be a problem. I am not sure how to fix that without going to prison.

Hmmm…that may be a situation you’ll need to resolve as the next series of main quest tasks are heavily Sasau-based. Sasau is also the best place to sell loot (two blacksmiths, an armorsmith and a swordsmith all in one place, all with deep pockets). If you have enough cash on hand you may be able to buy your way out of the problem.

Or, going to prison isn’t all that bad.

Yea, spending time in jail is really not a big deal in this game.

Unless you go to jail at the very beginning of the game. I was like uh…guys?

Hey at least you get the

achievement for that :)

So I picked up the DLC from the Epic sale ($10 after coupon!). I bounced off the game hard - twice - on Xbox, mainly because I found the combat and lockpicking impossible. I’m hoping a mod or three will make it playable on PC for me.

Any suggestions?

You really do not need a mod on PC if you use mouse for lockpicking for the first few levels. It is vastly easier than with controller. Once you level it up a bit you can use controller too. Plus there is the simplified lockpicking option in the menu.

Yeah, I tried the simplified lockpicking when it was added. That was the second time I gave up on the game.

Lockipicking isn’t that big a part of the game, as far as I can recall. I think it’s required… once? Twice? But otherwise you can do without it. Combat no quite so much.

This so much. I couldn’t pick a lock using my XBox controller, but had no trouble with a mouse.

I know some of the treasures required lockpicking. Also there is nothing as frustrating as beating a couple Cumans or Bandits and then finding all their goodies are hidden behind a lock you can’t open.

This thread has made me very interesting in playing KCD, but I can’t for the life of me figure out why.

My experience has been that lockpicking is fairly easy on PC with keyboard/mouse. Practice a bunch on the chest behind the mill when you first start out to get the basic control scheme down, and from that point on it is by far the easier of the two mini-game skills. I am resigned to always be completely worthless as a pickpocket, I just cannot seem to master the dexterity required to time things right, move to the proper circle, snag the item and move back before being discovered. The couple of times I needed to pickpocket something to advance a quest I had to wait until the person was sleeping, and even then I had to reload several times.

Lockpicking on the other hand has been the most lucrative skill for me. I use it constantly, I’m at 15 now, can pick Very Hard chests, and have made a fortune off just the treasure maps and bandit/Cuman camp chests alone. You can skill up by picking every locked door and chest you see (just don’t get spotted). I never rob the chests of common people or of the NPCs I like, but I will pick all the locks for the experience.

I am currently trying to work up my Archery skill. Archery is very well designed in the game from a mechanics standpoint, but horribly broken from an experience/leveling one. You would think that taking part in the archery range contests scattered all over the game world would help build archery…but NOPE, they barely add anything to your experience even when you win them. Hunting levels it slightly faster, but even that is fairly tedious. Shooting bad guys works well, but is fraught with obvious perils, especially when your skill is low. So far the best Archery training I have found is playing Chumps in Ledtechko.

Visit the archer standing on the little island between the planks crossing the river in town and he’ll tell you about Chumps, an archery game where you shoot at logs floating down the river. You bet coin on each contest, but it’s fairly easy to come in second place (you get your money back) or first place (triple your money) and each contest has you shooting 20 arrows (which are supplied to you), and with every hit you gain decent experience. I had just raised my Bow skill to 4 and went hunting, I shot several deer and only got 23% of the way to level 5, while using lots of my own arrows. I went to Ledetchko and played 3 rounds of Chumps, won around 100 groschen and picked up the other 77% to get me to level 5, all in about 20 minutes. Plus, Chumps is kind of fun!