Kingdom Come: Deliverance

No need. I am not part-taking in their forced-alchemy “to make save potions” resource economy. I’ve decided to opt out of it completely. Sorry not sorry.

Sure, but rarely if ever does two completely separate quests from the same quest giver in the same conversation ever conflict! Which is exactly the case here.

You have to prioritize one over the other but it isn’t obvious because you don’t know what one of the quests entails until you’ve committed to it (The three witches ritual takes up hours in the evening), resulting in auto-failing the other one (meeting the priest at the tavern in the evening) because of time constraints.

Also basically doing both pretty much all but guarantees you’ll arrive too late in resolving the next story mission (which already happened for me: Reeky dies)

So right now I misled the bandits looking for Tim, talked to Tim at the farm to learn the location of the bandit camp. I have not moved on with the main quest yet and decided to do some side quests, to my peril. Suffice is to say it has been a long enough time now that if reporting in for the next story quest has any time sensitively I’ll get the worst of it.

I remember doing both of these. Maybe the one with “witches” can be done another day?

Also, meeting priest at the tavern is a must. If you skipped that one, reload.

The witches can be done later, and should be done later. Actually a lot later due to the haste required in the next story mission that starts immediately after drinking with the priest.

The problem arises when you try to do the witches quest before meeting the priest because there isn’t anything that tells you it will take all night long.

I would not recommend skipping alchemy. It is a very useful skill to have, not just for Savior Schnapps, but for several other potions which make life much easier in certain situations throughout the game. There is also at least one quest in the main storyline that is going to be far less frustrating if you have a decent alchemy skill.

As a bonus, picking herbs will eventually lead to the “Leg Day” perk, which increases strength, as well as increasing your Herbalism skill (also handy to have at decent levels). If you have the patience for it, you can pick hundreds of herbs in the prologue in Skalitz, netting you the Leg Day perk, a lot of points in Herbalism, and enough cash (from selling them in town) to outfit yourself decently before you even begin the main game. You can also train with the swordsman in Skalitz for quite some time (just ignore his instructions and simply move around, poking and swinging at him) which will increase several stats and skills, giving you yet another small advantage when you leave the prologue for the main game.

Alchemy is a skill that’s really immersive and interesting the first bunch of times you do it. It starts off being fun to grind herbs, boil them, mix, then distill the results, etc.

Then you want to craft 50 of something, and uuuuuhhhhggg. Eventually, you do get a way to automate alchemy crafting (though I think you’re penalized by not generating as many outputs given the inputs), but earning the skill points to automate takes way too long. I think I watched someone stream for something like hours while smashing through crafting for the skill points. If they had made that automation a little easier to reach, I think it would be OK - but it was really far too grindy.

I remember doing both as well.

But the game mechanic of having quests conflict is pretty common.

Also you really don’t need to make the potions, they are readily available at the bath houses. I found this game to be much more enjoyable when I didn’t have to worry about losing several hours exploration time because I ran into 3-4 enemies and died.

I am not skipping alchemy entirely, just the urgent need to use it for grinding out save potions.

When you go from the main fort to a place at the top of the map, and you will, you will be glad you have what you need for a quick save.

I already have what I need for quick saving. I can quick save an unlimited amount of times forever until I am dead.

I did a little test. Travel from Rattay to Sasau and back again. (same route not using fast travel)

Test 1: I got a random encounter ambush by three Cumans and died/royally ganked on the way to Sanzu.
Test 2: I got a random encounter of a dead guy with accusing NPC on the way to Sanzu. One the way back I got ambushed by one Cuman. Killed him.
Test 3: No encounters

One thing I did notice though is the encounters always happened near the exact same spot both ways! So there might be specific nodes with encounter rolls sprinkled around the map.

There are very repeatable locations for ambushes and encounters. I give you that.

But since you are wiling to play without quick saves I wish you good luck.

Am I missing something here? He is very clearly using a mod that allows quick saving.

I am starting to think Scuzz is just gaslighting me in this thread.

Okay, if that is what he is doing then yea, I misunderstood his post. I just couldn’t see playing this game without some sort of save option.

So I apologize if that’s the case. I just have memories of playing for a couple hours and suddenly running into a couple guys who sent me back to the start of my playing session.

I found a very non-descript field just a little north-east from Rattay that has 170+ Belladonna along with like 500+ Nettle.

So I guess after this discovery I could have grinded out like 70+ save potions (actually much more since I make like 3 potions per brew process). Although it is still nice to be able to save without increasing nourishment and getting the drunk status.

Suffice is to say I am using a hybrid system. Using save pots helps to level drinking also. Which seems like a mostly useless skill, but you never know.

Is that the field next to the Inn? I think that is where I did most my herb farming.

Drinking has a couple of perks later on that grant stat/skill bonuses and smooth out the effects of alcohol, mostly at the expense of longer hangover effects. However you can cure a hangover immediately with a Marigold Decoction, which is very easy to brew or purchase, so “longer hangover” becomes a moot downside to any Drinking perk. Trying to game the Drinking skill for extra stat points is a lot of time and effort for little reward though, so pretty much just choose whatever perk fits your play style.

It’s a bit north east of the Inn, just beyond a yellow flower field that is unpickable on the left side of the road to Neuhof. Belladonna does not stand out and tends to blend in rather well, even in a field where there are over a hundred of them.

I still suck at combat. Simple time:

1. Using the faint technique leaves me exposed and I get hit easily.
  2. Enemies frequently execute a perfect parry and riposte when I attack normally

Combos? Is this some kind of joke? Impossible to execute given the above, also if the first attack is parried / blocked, then the combo fails anyways.

I am basically limited to two tactics:

1. Execute a perfect parry myself when the enemy attacks, then riposte
  2. Win a clench match and immediately attack afterwards. This usually lands a hit provided the animations didn’t push the guy too far away.

That’s all I got.

I don’t remember individual things about the combat other than it being difficult and almost impossible against multiple enemies. I do remember some move I learned eventually in the training that worked most of the time and it got me thru the contest and later fights. Might have been your #2 option, the clinch move.

But this game probably has the toughest combat in any sword and shield game I have played.

I tried to do some of the combos I have learned by using the combo training with Bernard. Mostly because he won’t ever perfect parry during that lesson; but he will be super annoying with his constant tutorial barks the entire time (I want to punch the person who programmed this). And it is still a pain in the ass to pull off. Mostly any diagonal slashes and everything that requires more than three attacks are not viable at all. And anything with majority pierce attacks is much easier to execute since there is no direction involved.