Kingdom Come: Deliverance

Yeah which is why I changed it to medium to showcase how gloriously smooth it is at 60 :)

Also my mind is blown, Angry Joe is streaming it and actually enjoying it. He is a hater of eurojank, so this is a surprise.

The lockpicking minigame may be one of the worst ones yet.

On the good side, I think combat is actually a lot better than it appears in video.

Have you played Chivalry? Is it anything like that whereby moving your mouse mid swing controls where the blade goes?

I have played Chivalry. It’s not really like that either. It’s like a mix between the movement-based strikes of something like Mount & Blade and something clunkier like Skyrim with the difficulty cranked all the way up when you’re level 2. The targeting “star” is really hard to use at first, but once you get a handle on it, the thing works. Combat starts out really clumsy and terrible, but I guess that’s kind of the point since you’re an untrained peasant and really should be avoiding combat as much as possible. As you go along, you unlock combat moves and perks and it gets better, which kind of mirrors your actual real-life proficiency progression with the system.

The only negative for me is that the animation system isn’t fluid enough to really support what they’re trying to do. There’s a lot of janky movement, and you’ll see NPCs flop and stutter like marionettes as they shift from one move or stance to another. The same goes for your own arms.

The jank does fit surprisingly well with streaming.

One of the streamers got into a 10 foot archery duel with a soldier. The NPC would take out an arrow, nock it in the bow, and get hit by an arrow. Then the NPC would take out an arrow, nock it in the bow, and get hit by an arrow. Repeat until dead.

I played it a little and the game does a really poor job explaining itself.

So far it seems like a pale imitation of the combat in for honor (purely speaking of the combat). In fact, it kind of makes me want to play for honor again.

(not mine)

Now that is a kick!

Sunk about 2 hours into this over two sessions. I was initially peeved at the way the save system has been described to work because I had to shut down the game before finding my bed or that save drink. I figured I would have to start all over again.

But the game does auto save. In fact, when I booted up again and hit “Continue” it put me right where I left off. I don’t know how often it saves or if it automatically does it on exit, but that was a relief.

I really like how melee combat works although I only did the training (and got my ass handed to me in a fist fight). It’s really not that hard to figure out.

However, it really is quite rough around the edges. I haven’t run into any bugs or movement issues (outside of the “jank” everyone is talking about), but it all does seem a little… off?

That said, I’m kind of digging it. The devs really swung for the fences and compared to something like Skyrim, which I do love, Kingdom Come feels truly ambitious in terms of the game systems to put in here.

Needs work, but I’m willing to let them sort it out. In the meantime, I’ll keep playing.

I kickstarted this back in the day and it turned out much better than I had hoped. I was especially worried about the facial expressions in the early beta releases but they did a much better job than I expected. Maybe not modern AAA good but good enough to not be cringe worthy. The story is also well told and the game is very atmospheric.

I haven’t done enough combat yet to truly judge it but it was satisfying to smack down the weaker bandits on the road.

I haven’t encountered many bugs, no more than Witcher 3 or Skyrim on release but maybe I’m lucky. I’m also not the type to push game systems to the limits like a lot of people love to do in open world games.

I have 2 bigger complaints:

1. I feel the performance should be much better on a 1080 Ti @ 1920x1200 resolution. It can dip into the 30s on Ultra so I switched back to Very High and it usually sticks to the mid 50s to 60+ (I’m vsynced to 60) but I’ve seen it dip into the 40s.

2. The save system is too harsh. I hate this sort of thing in console games and I hate it here. Luckily, I’m on PC and downloaded the mod that let’s you save from the menu whenever you want. Awesome.

PC Gamer has a nice review

Refund for me. The bugs were just too much so I’ll give it a few months and get back to it if it gets fixed.

The gameplay ranks better than piranha bytes games on the jank-o-meter. That’s well over my minimum threshold but others may not be so forgiving.

The save system… I get it. They want to make the game more immersive and make you live with the consequences of your actions by attempting to break the save/reload cycle most of us do when we’re trying something risky. But for the love of god, sometimes I just “have to go right now” and these 20 gold save potions are way to rich to be churning through early in the game. I would be happy with a ‘save and exit to desktop’ to make it sufficiently annoying so I don’t do it when I keep breaking my lockpick on a very hard lock.

I had one crash to desktop early in the game but I applied the latest nvidia patch and haven’t had a problem since.

With that out of the way: I really like the story and atmosphere so far. The beginning really is the cliche of cliches - (minor spoiler)happy village raided by orcs/barbiarians/big bad evil guy and I now have no family, but it does so charmingly and convincingly. One thing I found especially unique in gaming was how it humanized nobles and how they would interact with commoners. It makes the story seem real.

I’m thinking of getting a divorce so I can play more tonight.

There was actually intended to be save and exit, they had to cut it due to some tech issues but intend to get it back in patch.

Oh, that’s interesting. I hope that happens soon!

This game intrigues me more than most but can we outsource the composition of game names to people who can put a little imagination into it? This one makes me imagine Ned Beatty getting sodomized by Captain Marvel.

Seriously, somebody dropped the ball by not renaming this thread “You sure got a purty smile.”

Deliverance: Come Kingdom

Captain_Marvel_Kingdom_Come_001

We now return you to your regularly scheduled Youtube videos of medieval eurojank.

Why does the developer feel that they have to enforce how I save to make the game more “immersive “ or intense? I could quicksave at any time in Witcher 3 and that was one of the most immersive games in my 30 years of gaming. Why not go all the way? If you die, game deletes itself and you are not allowed to purchase a new one. Or no pausing - you can’t pause in real life! If you can’t make your game intense and engrossing without an artificial gimmick like limiting saves you’ve got a bigger problem than someone saving often.