Kingdom Come: Deliverance

Thanks, @Paul_cze, I’m in the same boat as @TheWombat. I just got everything installed, including the DLC and all the high-res stuff, and I’m about to go in for the first time and try it out. I’m sure I’ll need to spend a good hour trying to get a good balance between quality and framerate first though.

I’ve got an i7 6700, 16 GB ram, and a 1070FE. Any particular suggestions on any options I should definitely turn down or completely off, being as my rig is not exactly a speed demon. I’ll be running at 1440p.

Ok, well this is not easy :).

I haven’t gotten far but it’s very atmospheric, and pretty damn unique; best depiction of a late medieval/Renaissance setting I’ve seen in a game I think, at least so far.

But, um, the game is a bit stingy with, like, telling you what you need to do? I appreciate the freedom, but for instance, the Hungarians (I guess?) just attacked the town and I’m on a horse fleeing to give word of the attack. In a cutscene, some bozo sticks me with an arrow, and a bunch of Magyar horsemen are harrying me down the road, sticking me even more with arrows. The tutorial thing says find someone to help me, but there isn’t anyone that I can see, except for the enemy. I bleed and bleed, get stuck more, and, well, I die. I guess keep trying it until I stumble on a solution? That seems a bit harsh this early in the game!

But it is way cool.

You need to ride to the next town. He’ll tell you where to turn off the track you flee along.

I would start with High preset and see what framerate you get. The game is extremely heavy on CPU, hammers my 2500K all 4 cores at 100% when in the city, but you should be lot better off with i7. Afaik Shader and shadow settings are most demanding.

Run Forest Run!

Yeah, I realize now that I heard a voice say “Left!” but couldn’t tell who was talking. Now I know :).

I have an i5 and a 970; so far the game is running ok on High at 1920x1080. Looks good, too.

I also love the history lessons. I mean, yeah, I’m sort of a history geek (ok, I’m a college professor who before I get into general education curriculum was a history professor, and yeah I took one of my fields in medieval history), but I’d think anyone with an interest in medieval-esque fantasy worlds would love the real-world stuff this game includes, which often is weirder than fiction.

Europeans do this sort of thing so much better than we Americans, for whom “history” is last week usually.

I will save Paul the effort of pointing out how good central European games are now - this, the Witchers, Dying Light, the Mafias maybe. I wonder if they build crap games I never see because everything I see from there is awesome :)

I am wondering if I should leave this until next GPU upgrade, because it does seem demanding.

And take advantage of the archery ranges. You can shoot at the targets at will. Arrows that hit the target are recoverable. There are also archery contests. The range in Rattay has a basic contest where you only have to bet 10 groschen.

“Fun” fact, I was alone in the building today at work because it is national holiday commemorating the death of Jan Hus 603 years ago, when he was burned at the stake for being deemed heretical against the church. Which sparked the giant clusterfuck of Hussite Wars, which I hope Warhorse will at least partially adapt in the third game (since second is supposed to take place after Deliverance, which itself takes place 12 years before Hus was killed).

I do consider Poland to be the greatest gaming powerhouse in Europe right now. And I do find it amusing that three out of five most interesting games at E3 (to me) are made by slavs (Cyberpunk, Dying Light 2, Metro Exodus).

As for industry here in CZ, I am sure there are some stinkers being made too :) Mostly for mobile though.
Armas, Factorio, Euro Truck Sims, KCD, Samorosts, Machinarium, Space Engineers…the industry is quite lively, particularly considering zero governmental support.
And I have to mention Fallout: Resurrection, which is a free game, interquel taking place between Fallout 1 and 2 made on FO2 engine, and is pretty amazing.

Which GPU do you have?

1070 but at 3440 X 1440. I’m getting 40ish at High.

Wheew yeah that is a high res. I am glad to be playing on TV in mere 1080p :)

I haven’t come across a video game yet that uses all 4 of my cores. It is pretty rare.

I have so far counted 5 games that hammer my CPU to the point where I cannot get 60fps on reasonable settings without any drops whatsoever:

Kingdom Come Deliverance
Mafia 3
Assassin’s Creed Origins
Hitman 2016
Watch Dogs

So, I did all this stuff and then I get the opening credits; that whole several hours was just the freakin’ intro! Pretty cool.

This game reminds me of a first-person Darklands.

Why’d you have to say that?

Anybody tried the DLC? I quite hated the town building thing in Fallout 4 as it was pretty much like driving an ICBM through the fourth wall breaking all sense of immersion.

I kind of hope that Warhorse has made the town building and management consistent with the spirit of the game (that is, taking very few licences with state of the art interpretations of historical records etc.).

I’m still trying to get my bearings. There is so much you can do, and so many ways to screw it up! I do like that freedom, and I enjoy the dialog too, for the most part.

No worries @TheWombat I think it is supposed to be stuff accessible way into the game.

It seems to be nothing like the FO4 manual building stuff, this trailer showcases it pretty well

… must resist. Must wait until I have time to enjoy this properly. And now I expect to see Alchemists in the game!