Kingdom Come: Deliverance

Oh, that’s the reason. I didn’t know they were owned by a private investor. I was wondering why sell the company if they had funds for a sequel, even if they are notably more ambitious.

Yeah they spent 2 years trying to get money to start the studio and in the end when Dan was almost out of his savings, through sheer luck got a contact for Zdeněk Bakala who gave them the money to start (and when after creating a prototype, no publisher picked it up, he and kickstarter backers provided the full funding). So he got 70% there.

I’ve played around 25 hours, maybe a bit less with idling and I’m having trouble wanting to get back into it. 84% of owners at least completed the first quest, but only 12% completed the main story - so I guess I’m not alone. I’m usually all over story heavy RPGs.

The setting is good and I probably enjoyed 70% of what I played, but some is just too tedious. It’s a game I want to like, and the outdoors is lovely. Sometimes the enemy AI is a little wonky too - like archers who get confused whether they should hold there ground or get some distance. They sure don’t have CDProjectRed level writing either.

Restarted this, as I’d forgotten what was going on. So in combat, if it’s Q to block, is that directional? Ie do I have to block in the direction of the incoming blow? I’ve done a couple of early fist fights so far this time around and I’m still not clear how it works.

Yes, combat is all directional, swinging and blocking.

I think counters work for any direction, but I might be wrong, been a while since I played. It’s all I used at the time though, felt a bit like Assassin’s Creed in that regard.

You can use Q to block and it will still work, but you benefit from the direction of your weapon. The lead designer Viktor Bocan said that it’s more successful and takes less stamina to make a block if you are copying your opponents attack direction.

Oh my god. Just discovered alchemy. I have to what, along side what?

:/

This game.

You just need to refer to those 15th century wikis.

I totally forgot about finishing this game. Got to get back to it!

Huge patch 1.9 was just released on PC + the last DLC Woman’s Lot as well - crowdfund backers can simply login to kingdomcomerpg.com and it will activate on Steam for free.
Consoles will follow a bit later, from what the Warhorse CM said on reddit.

The new stuff in patch:

Better introduction and tutorials

• All tutorials now have improved formatting.

• All tutorials rewritten with emphasis on clarity.

• Added some new tutorials.

• First combat tutorial with Bernard improved.

• Bernard now has his own map icon when ready to train Henry outside quests.

• Many confusing situations during the first hours of gameplay improved.

Events improved

• We improved the environment and NPC positions for most of the events.

• Added better fast travel description to every event type.

• Player’s position now makes much more sense when pulled out of fast travel by an event.

• No event should catch the player again immediately after a successful evasion.

• Events were re-labeled. Traps and ambushes are no longer revealed to the player by the label. We apologize to all honest bandits in Rattay.

Proper dating with Theresa

• You can now continue to date Theresa after “the act” (ahem).

• Be careful though, Theresa has mind of her own and can even dump you…

• But if she likes you, she can help you in your endeavors.

Better handling of mods

• After download of any new patch, all installed mods will be disabled and moved to a specific folder; player will be notified by overlay in main menu. We highly recommend only installing mods that have been updated to match the current game version.

• The game now handles installing and uninstalling mods containing new NPCs, items, perks and buffs much better. This should solve many corrupted saves.

• The game now visually marks any save that is modded or was created from a playthrough using mods. We can’t guarantee stability on these saves.

Other New features

• We didn’t want to leave bandits and Cumans without pets, so we gave them dogs as well. Unfortunately, the dogs adopted their masters’ aggression and will attack Henry on sight…

• Players can now switch to simplified lockpicking for gamepad in game settings.

• Changes made to enemies’ perception to improve stealth experience.

• Many NPCs will now take cover from rain under roofs or trees.

• Item categories added to horse inventory.

• Guards now confiscate stolen items dropped near Henry when frisking him.

• Dogs will now fall asleep after eating food with sleeping potion.

• New first-person dialog camera added.

• The first quest for every DLC now has custom map icon.

• Shooting on the move should be more precise now. The arrow was previously shot before the animation completely ended.

• Merchants now have correct purchase prices corresponding to their trade.

• The amount of Groschen on NPCs is now more accurately adjusted to their profession.

Optimizations and bug fixes

Optimizations

• Changing graphics settings is much faster now.

• We solved many performance peaks to optimize the game. Framerate should be more consistent now.

• Framerate in battles slightly improved by adjusting visual settings.

• We slightly improved framerate in the most demanding locations by removing some light sources.

• Graphical settings adjusted. Lower settings should look the same and run slightly faster. Higher settings should run the same and look slightly better.

Nice patch, some good fixes and enhancements there. Good to see such ongoing support.

As a side note, I just got back from a trip to Prague. It was interesting learning about the history of medieval Bohemia and I thought of this game more than a couple of times. Beautiful city and countryside. It also gave the me the opportunity to use the word “defenestration”, which is about as specialized and unique a word as there can be :)

hah, yeah defenestrace is a very…specific term :) maybe if some sequel takes place in 1419, we could even see it ingame. I do hope next game will feature medieval Prague. Glad you enjoyed your stay :)

btw here is also the trailer for Woman’s Lot

Or 1618; a Thirty-Years War themed open-world RPG would be wild.

Desperately trying to wrap this up after 57 hours but it seems endless. Stuck in another series of melees on some battlements, with the checkpoint save way back when… :(

I gave up after 20+ hours. There just wasn’t enough to keep me interested. I did appreciate their approach for making something different, but I didn’t find it enjoyable after the first 15 hours or so.

Finished at 58 hours :)

I’d say on one hand it’s a must play, but on the other there’s a fair amount of awkwardness to drag yourself through. And medieval Bohemia was largely made of mud, which depressed me.

Thanks for the recent write ups guys, I may just remove this from the wishlist all together, far more fun games exist.

Eh, maybe. I found a lot of fun simply exploring the amazing (to me) landscape. It’s as close to a realistic medieval-era setting as we’re likely to get in a game. I found the combat often awkward, and the quests often buggy, and yes, the game does drag in the middle. But I don’t regret in the slightest buying it, and will probably return to it at some point in the future and just start from scratch again.

I guarantee it’s a better game than 70% of what you have in your backlog!