Kingsman: secret Firth, action guns, oh things explode

This has been on near-constant rotation on HBO the last couple weeks, so it’s practically impossible to miss. I enjoyed it on its merits, but I’m not itching for a sequel.

I thought it was okay, but it just seemed to transition to a juvenile fiction which I suppose the source material could be. I also saw it courtesy of HBO.

Well, too bad. You’re getting one whether you like it or not! Hopefully, Colin Firth will…

Kingsman 1 to Kingsman 2

…come back as a robot or clone or some such thing, because a Kingsman movie without Colin Firth would be like a James Bond movie without James Bond.

Just saw this.

I liked it. It felt like a lighter, less serious version of Bond.

I don’t agree with some of the talk of sidelining female characters. Really the kid is the only main character in the movie. Said female character is his friend and has significantly less time in the movie. I’d say the same about the other mentioned male “main character” too. To be honest though, my favorite character in the movie by far was the female antagonist and i felt she kind of stole the show. Samuel L jackson was basically an after thought. This was, in my humble opinion, one of his weaker roles. It is like someone told him to over act a bond IT villain.

The infamous sexual joke felt out of place and forced. It is like someone tried to do a bond style hint at sex and failed completely, leading to an uncomfortable scene instead of a funny one.

I’m not sure why anyone expected something other than a bond style spy movie.

I’ll watch a sequel, but i’ll probably rent it.

Also i really liked kick ass 1 & 2. Wanted as well, but less so.

There’s a lot of weird class envy at work in Kingsmen… I think that explains, in part, why the movie sidelines Roxy.

Class envy? It outright states that most of the rich would gladly kill off the poor if it meant they could secure their own comfort and then blows up all their heads. It’s more outright incitement to class war.

It’s one of the things I love about it.

Yet our hero joins an elitist organization (the Kingsman), steps in to save the kidnapped aristos, and even manages to bag a princess?

And then there’s the sodomy thing.

That’s the thing that weirded me out about the movie. Millar imagines England’s aristocrats as these people who give each other arthurian nicknames and kill their dogs. He thinks they’re monsters, but he also wants to be part of their inner circle.

It takes place in England so as an American i assumed that it was going to feature a lot of snobby nobles talking down to working class people.

Spoiler Thoughts

[spoiler]The movie never sidelines roxy. She was never on the front line. From the start it was a movie about Eggsy. Everything leads up to that moment of him becoming a kingsman. To me this is similar to saying Mass effect sidelines Liara compared to Shepard.

I do disagree with your view on Roxy as well. She was not set aside because she was a useless noble. She was the only noble that DESERVED to be a kingsman. Remember that she, unlike Eggsy, completed all of the tests (although i do disagree with the dog test making sense from the other things they said). She was also deathly afraid of heights and managed to conquer her fears and help the rest of the team save the day. The movie might not have been about her primarily, but she did at least as much as the two guys to save the world.[/spoiler]

I can’t say i took the movie that seriously. To me it was just an over the top, bond style spy movie with more comedy.

While the movie may make fun of the ultra rich, it also goes after Liberals a ton too, making a joke of climate change, making basically all celebrities look like idiots and i want to say one of the scenes showed Obama talking to the bad guys.

Oh shit.

Nice! Bringing Colin Firth back to life is a great idea.

Whuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut. That’ll be awesome if true. Wait a sec…

looks at IMDB

Okay, good, Merlin is back. He was my favorite character from the first movie.

We have an official synopsis:

‘Kingsman: The Secret Service’ introduced the world to Kingsman – an independent, international intelligence agency operating at the highest level of discretion, whose ultimate goal is to keep the world safe. In ‘Kingsman: The Golden Circle’, our heroes face a new challenge. When their headquarters are destroyed and the world is held hostage, their journey leads them to the discovery of an allied spy organization in the US called Statesman, dating back to the day they were both founded. In a new adventure that tests their agents’ strength and wits to the limit, these two elite secret organizations band together to defeat a ruthless common enemy, in order to save the world, something that’s becoming a bit of a habit for Eggsy…

I’m there, opening weekend, no question. Loved the original. Loved.

Uh, how is Colin Firth in this?

Never mind, don’t tell me.

-Tom

Because everything has to be a cinematic universe. Oh, yeah, there’s already a TV show in the works, too.

I couldn’t get past the vagina implant scene in the second one. It killed my entire interest in these movies, franchises, whatever they want to call it.

Heh. I like Tom’s journey in this thread towards the sequel. It’s a shame that Firth’s role was so limited in the sequel, and that the sequel wasn’t a very entertaining movie compared to the original.