Kirby and the Forgotten Land

Almost, @Ephraim! I came this close to buying it last night, but realized I was only going to do it because my main computer was busted. So when I had to reconfirm my password to process the purchase and I couldn’t remember my password and I didn’t have the computer hooked up to go check my email for the password reminder…I just said “screw it” and didn’t Kirby.

But now that the part to fix my computer has been delayed a day, I don’t know if I’ll be able to hold out tonight as well. No one post favorable comments in this thread for at least 24 hours plz.

-Tom

You know you can’t, nay, shouldn’t resist. I have two words for you. Mouthful. Mode.

I’m more tempted than ever after how difficulty Tunic was at times. I could use an easy game! But I haven’t quite finished cleaning up some post-game stuff in Tunic. We’ll see how I feel when that wraps up.

Buy Kirby and then convince me to buy Kirby, please

I came here intending to post in the “Games my young kids can actually play” thread and noticed this dedicated thread.

My 6-year-old is loving this game. It is a simple platformer and he’s playing on the offered Easy mode, but I’m super impressed by how gently and thoroughly the game has ramped up its complexity. He struggled to engage with Mario Odyssey’s more abstract sandbox design and modal inputs. But in Kirby he is demolishing Soulslike bosses by comparing equipment movesets and power tradeoffs, scouring levels for optional goals, and completing challenge courses for equipment upgrade materials. All of which was introduced a tiny step at a time. Plus, there is zero time pressure in levels (outside of short, retryable challenge sequences) and a co-op mode made for a parent to assist as a generic sidekick while Kirby gets to remain the star of the show.

I was very skeptical of this game’s longevity based on the first level and janky animation. But it has a ton of creativity, only gets better looking as it progresses, and is genuinely fun to scour for secrets. I don’t know whether the non-easy-mode gets interesting for grown up players, but this is pretty incredible as a teaching game for kids.

Also, it’s a straight-up (spoilers) Lovecraftian horror game. Not mythos-lite, but a literal death-cult awakening an Old One to end the world and send them off to the land of dreams.

Ah-ha, I knew there was something insidious going on!

-Tom

I hope you’re talking about the low frame-rate motion on distant enemies here because this is a pretty package from where I’m sitting! :)

I bought this over the weekend on the strength of the demo which was just an utter delight.

Look folks, I recently finished Doom Eternal and all the DLC on Nightmare. I battled with Elden Ring. Kirby and the Forgotten Land is the fizzy, refreshing and light tonic I need. And, y’know, I’m glad this isn’t any more platformer than it already is because we’ve got the annoying plumber for all that. I’m so tired of falling to my death so when I first realised Kirby could hold his breath and float and rise–oh! And you can’t fall off most edges either! For kids Forgotten Land is great but what’s really charmed me in the absence of challenge is just how surprising, creative and satisfying everything is.

Swinging a sword, tossing bombs, dashing in your car, ejecting soda cans at enemies–it all feels great. I also appreciate how each level has a bunch of unique objectives to find more Waddle Dees, so in the mall you have to not get lost, or on the first beach level there’s a hidden objective to complete the rooftop word which made me cackle when I discovered it. It was a reward for being curious and I love that. The demo doesn’t feature the world map which is home to all the challenge levels that are a nice way of sharpening your skills with certain abilities (in addition to the weapon shop Waddle Dee’s tips). I just upgraded the fire ability to some molten monstrosity and Kirby now spews magma boulders and it’s absurd. I can’t wait to see what else is in store.

Edit: oh and I adore the ice skating and pirouettes that come with the frost ability.

You’re making it hard to wait for a price drop, which already takes forever for Nintendo games! Maybe I should get this for my son now, before he gets too old, like he did for the last Kirby game (Allies?).

I picked it up for £40 knowing that I can sell the physical copy for £32 at a local shop. Metroid Dread, however, is a different story (£40 vs £15)!

What price drop??? There sure as hell better not be a price drop because I bought this silly little thing as soon as it came out! And while I completely understand the appeal and I read along with @geggis’ post nodding my head the entire time, what kills this game for me is the realization that there will almost never be a time when I think about what five or six games I could sit down to play and I would include Kirby and the Forgotten Land among those five or six, much less chose it in the final analysis. It’s just too insubstantial for me, too frivolous, too little game, too pointless and inevitable.

I once met a woman who was studying massage. She offered to give me a Shiatsu massage for free because she’s just learned them. I love massages, but I don’t pretend to know the different kinds. So whatever she thought a Shaitsu massage was would be fine by me. She arrives, sets up the table, and I get under the towel. The massage begins. I can’t feel a thing. She is literally hovering her hands about a half inch away from me. She’s giving me a massage that precludes the one thing I thought all massages had in common: direct contact. It turns out she was massaging me with chakras or her aura or spirit energy or something like that.

Kirby and the Forgotten Land is to my videogame collection as that Shiatsu massage was to massages.

-Tom

Yeah, but do any of those five or six games have tossed bombs that float on water in their own cute little rubber rings? I don’t think so, Chick!

You got me there! Okay, I concede. You’ve won this round!

-Tom

Whatever she was doing is not typical for a shiatsu massage.

Maybe she had an accent. She said “Shadow massage”, and Tom heard “Shiatsu message”.

Okay so anybody saying that Kirby has no teeth needs to try and crack the Dragon Fire Treasure ‘Melt and Glide’ challenge in under a minute. That’s a nasty piece of work. I like how these tougher levels and tighter times indirectly teach you how to get more out of the different abilities and Kirby’s manoeuvres.

Is that the one where you’re racing one long fuse and clearing its path of things that would extinguish it? If so, that was tight. My son was playing on easy mode (which maybe just affects enemy strength?) and I jumped in to get him the upgrade material from that level. I assumed that I had to be missing something because there was absolutely no room for error. It totally did make me learn how to stretch out the glides effectively.

That’s the one! The first time I did it I was six seconds short and it wasn’t what I’d call a sloppy victory either. Where were those six seconds hiding!? Speeding the fuse up in the cannon obviously helps but yeah, chaining all the glides right and not missing enemies or messing your movement up is critical. Racing and maintaining a fuse is a cool idea too.

At 96% complete I’m calling that done! The rest is just collecting those figurines.

This was a fantastic experience. The main game is light and breezy as mentioned above but be under no illusions: there’s some serious bite here if you go looking for it, in the various challenges but particularly the post-credits content which was an unexpected, initially daunting, but actually a really cool way of rounding the game out for folks like me who do enjoy some pushback.

I particularly like the structure and economy of The Forgotten Land. Bear with me here. In something like Mario Odyssey you’re collecting moons (and coins) and there are so many—many of which weren’t interesting to find, a bit like Breath of the Wild’s korok seeds—that I just mostly ignored them which kind of misses the point. Kirby has coins, the Waddle Dees, figurines and rare crystals. There aren’t many Waddle Dees to find per level, which straight away is more inviting to me, but levels aren’t super difficult or long either so re-running them to clear up isn’t a big ask either. Crucially though most of them are awarded for completing level specific objectives and they’re often subtly telegraphed so they’re not impossible to find on a first run if you’re playing carefully. I got a kick out of fully clearing levels first time. In turn Waddle Dees rebuild your town adding shops, cute mini-games and other services and I always enjoyed returning to see new areas opening up. Take that moons. Rare crystals, awarded for beating the numerous challenges across the world map, allow you to upgrade your abilities and each upgrade always made me grin, whether it was the visible power increase, the fancy effects or the theming of the upgrade (shout out to the pencil sharpener drill). The figurines are what you’d expect and I generally like these kinds of ‘art’ collectibles in games, even if I don’t go out of my way to collect them.

Now the coins. Light spoilers for the end game. By ‘the end’ I had some 20,000. The game wasn’t tough enough to dunk loads of them into boosters or health so I wondered why they were even a thing. Enter the ‘Ultimate Z Cup’ boss-rush in the colosseum where retrying costs 100 coins and each successive retry doubles the cost. Add in the ability to stack boosters from the shop, and the boss-rush being pretty bloody tough, and you’ve got a serious coin black hole if you’re struggling. I rinsed about 8000 trying to finesse certain segments! Once that’s all done though, anything left can be chucked into the ‘Gotcha’ machines to finish your figurine collection. That’s where I stopped.

All in all, this was just a joy. I think coming from Doom Eternal’s unrelenting difficulty, I needed something breezy like this, but I also wasn’t at all expecting The Forgotten Land to ramp up like it does. Basically all this:

There’s a lot more nuance to the abilities and certain mechanics than first meets the eye and the challenges really highlight this.

The story also goes some places. Whoa.

I’m so glad I didn’t look at these spoilers, as tempted as I was! Thanks for tagging them. That whole section had me confused then wide-eyed with gob agape.

Edit: also this theme and intro is great:

I cashed in some GameStop credit for some eshop points and finally picked this up, at the best/worst time possible.

Life is pretty stressful right now as we near the end a month long process of renovations in our new house—the big move in day is this Saturday—and then some unexpected health issues piled on to make for a wearying July.

So with most of my stuff in boxes, and more than most of my time spoken for, I bought this a few days ago anyway because the Switch is easy to leave unpacked until the last minute. I’ve really only played it on my lunch breaks from work, but it’s just so relentlessly charming it’s exactly what I need as a distraction right now.

I’m early in the third world, the amusement park, and I could just watch water-balloon’d Kirby waddle around and laugh all day. The animation is just exquisite. Every silly thing Kirby does in “mouthful” mode cracks me up.

Glad I bought it.