Kiss vs. Eagles

The Monkees were great.

Beat me to it. The Monkees had the contributions of some great songwriters and musicians, while Kiss…didn’t.

The obligatory…

It took 23 posts! I can’t believe you guys.

The Eagles are the nadir of popular music in the 1970s for me. They’re everything I despise in popular music. (And I fucking love popular music, lots of the time.)

They’re a band that was conceived out of the idea of taking a bunch of really great influences–The Byrds, Buffalo Springfield, the Bakersfield sound of Buck Owens, Gram Parsons, Neil Young, the Flying Burrito Brothers, etc. And then, with those influences as a wellspring of awesome…they stripped out anything that was remotely interesting, soulful, and sincere. Basically, that left soporific tripe you could use to sell laundry soap to midwestern housewives with. Or snack chips. It’s music as wallpaper.

Philly sports fans truly are the worst.

Well next to Yankees fans, aka the hall of fame voting committee.

The Eagles don’t have a midget cover band.

Discussion over.

Oh no. Cubs fans take the cake. Speaking as someone who lived a block away from Wrigley for years.

I remember KISS were at their peak of popularity when I was about 12, and even then they seemed too juvenile for me.

I guess I fall in the middle on the Eagles. I love the Desperado album, but aside from that, most of their early stuff is forgettable milquetoast country-rock, and didn’t start getting better until Don Felder and Joe Walsh showed up.

Speaking of the Eagles, they’ll be doing a show here at the MGM this fall that will feature the Hotel California album in its entirety. I had thought they effectively wrapped it up after Glenn Frey died, but apparently his son Deacon is taking his place in the lineup. I guess that’s a thing now with classic rock bands - replacing the retiring/dying members with their progeny. Eddie Van Halen’s kid is the bassist in his band, Rick Nielsen’s son is now the drummer for Cheap Trick, Phil Collins’ kid is touring with him. I wonder which band will be the first to have it’s entire lineup composed of children of former members. I hope it’s the Offspring.

Insanity. Eagles, FFS! Jeezus, how can they even be comparable? The first concert I ever saw was KISS, and loved it, but Eagles are a superior band by far.

Eagles had a ridiculous amount of talent and were influential. Not to mention having the best selling album (Greatest Hits) which recently surpassed MJ’s Thriller.

I mean, who doesn’t love to rock n roll all night. And part of every day.

But KISS was a Vegas act that made it on catchy power pop tunes and the whole costume schtick.

Is that right? I always thought it was “and party every day”. Have I been wrong all these years??? If true, mind blown, nothing is real, life is a lie. Noooo!!!

EDIT: Sanity secured (WHEW!): Kiss - Rock And Roll All Nite Lyrics | AZLyrics.com

I always thought it was “and have a wonderful time.”

That was a joke. Stolen from the amazing Role Models. Which happens to have a Kiss subplot??!!

duckduckgo

Well, unlike the Eagles KISS could really pull off popular music.

Holy shit dude. I’m laughing because I know that by not reading this post aloud to my gf, I am quite possibly saving your life.

Of course, I knew that. Just checking you did. :P

I hate this thread

jock rock vs. california dreamin rock

nobody wins

Shit Bonerz is in the lead, as it rightfully should be.

Did Cubs fans ever throw snowballs and batteries at Santa Claus?

I thought not.

Philly is the worst.