Kitchen Gadgetry

We got a Quisinart Stainless double burner griddle a while back. We had to get stainless due to having an induction stove, which has paired induction burners on the left side just for that purpose (if you link them.) It’s nice to have but even with induction, there are hotter and colder points within the griddle when you use it. If you can work with that and are okay with it, go for it. If you can’t work with varying hotter/cooler zones on a larger flat surface, skip it and get one single burner griddle instead.

For us, the hotter sections usually have bacon going, while the cooler sections are great for eggs or slowly warming/browning bread. As something gets cooked, you push it towards the in-between section of the burners. The same with hotcakes, you can flip and stack them in that middle area as a method of keeping them warm while the rest get made.

If I were to rate the Quisinart model, it’s not bad. It’s semi-weighty, meaning lighter than my cast iron skillets, but heavier than a stainless saucepan. When ours is out, it ends up becoming used multiple times in a row because it fits so well on the stovetop it becomes part of it. You certainly don’t have to link and use both burners at once either, making it something akin to a graduated cooktop where you can push things to be slightly warm while cooking on the hotter end. Ours is non-stick and it’s a bit TOO non-stick at times, getting kind of slippery to get eggs on things if there is too much grease on the cooktop. I wish it was deeper as well since you can get spatter out the sides of it a bit too easily. Being weighty isn’t really as much of an issue for these things, they stay put, you don’t want them sliding around like a typical cooking vessel on the stove.

If you truly want even temps, or closer to that, you need something with a lot of thermal capacity, which means weighty. Or, you want something like a Blackstone grill/griddle, where the entire device is made that way, or a stovetop that has the same.