Kitchen Gadgetry

For anyone thinking of going over to the dark side of coffee (Nespresso), the low-end machine is on sale for another hour (til 1:30PM EST) for $75, easily the lowest price ever. Amazon Lightning Deal.

I have one, and I’m fine with the compromises that go along with it. For ~70 cents / shot I get a pretty darn good (not 1st-class) 1 1/2 oz espresso with good, complex flavors (staying at the ‘intense’ end of their offerings) and consistent crema. Without going to a real espresso place (I’d rather have Nespresso than Starbucks if you plop both down side by side), and without spending many hundreds of dollars and hours of practice to have real, proper espresso at home.

What site/store?

Did I actually type all that up and leave ‘Amazon’ out? Sorry. Its a lightning deal.

Thanks, found it. For me I don’t think it showed up as a lightning deal, but I looked at all current deals for home and kitchen and sorted by price and found it that way.

Woo! My Anova’s finally arrived. Think I’ll try it out on some lamb steaks tomorrow.

Nespresso coffee is surprisingly legit. It’s not the best shot you’ll ever have, but it is drop-dead dependable consistent.

Well, I couldn’t wait. Experiment one successful. Lamb steak 1 cooked at 55 degrees for 2 hours, then seared one minute either side. Still a little tough, as lamb leg usually is, but much, much less so than if I’d grilled or pan fried it. Perfectly medium rare, however. The second steak is getting an extra couple of hours, and will be reheated and seared tomorrow. Probably just a 30 second sear next time, given how thin the steaks are.

I’d recommend around 4 hours, which should help soften it up some. Also, the cooker does its best when the meat is thick.

Did you buy it direct from them or is there some other/better/cheaper way to get one into the UK?

Direct. Now that it’s out, you may be able to get it by other means.

I looked the other day, and I just looked again right now. It’s out of stock in the 220v version :’( (Not that I’d bite at $249.00 + delivery)

Experiment two went well, at least on the sous vide side of things. Reheating definitely viable, and it was more tender. I used an iron griddle pan to sear it though, as I do for beef steak, and I think that was a mistake, as the searing overwhelmed the other flavours. It’ll be pan searing for lamb in future.

Experiment 3 was a beef fillet steak last night, cooked for an hour and a quarter at 53 degrees, then finished on the griddle. Fantastic. Oversteamed my pak choi though, as I was making soup at the same time and forgot to set a timer.

Next up is salmon teriyaki. Marinade has gone in the vacuum bags. One is getting 6 hours, the other overnight. I’m assuming the marinade will serve the same function as brining, so I haven’t bothered to do that separately. For science!

I’ll be very interested to hear how the salmon turns out. I considered doing this the other night, but the cooking time for salmon is so very short it hardly seemed worth getting out all the gear.

That be the price of perfection.

Honey, lemon, garlic and rosemary chicken, sliced into a ceasar salad a couple of nights back. Sealed with the marinade in a bag at 149F for a little over 2 hours followed by ~1 min either side on a hot pan.

Superb. Honestly there is just no other way to do chicken breasts.

It’s very easy to go slightly over the cooking time when doing salmon in the oven, though.

100% agree - salmon deserves the extra 2 minutes of prep to set up in the Anova, it comes out perfect every time. No more cottony overcooked fish!

Note: Nespresso pods & machines for restaurants are different than for home. In theory the coffee should still be the same, but my wife swears that the restaurant version tastes better.

The restaurant version: (Note the capsule shape is different and larger.)
https://www.nespresso.com/pro/ca/en/pages/restaurant

I received a new nespresso virtuoline machine for Christmas, and I must say I’m impressed with the quality of the product it produces. The difference between the original and the virtuoline us that apparently the new machine can accept different size pods, which are similar in shape to the restaurant machine that Kao linked to. You can either use small pods for espresso, or large pods for large cups of coffee. The machine does an impressive job given that it requires no effort at all. Hell, even the used pods just fall away into a little box after being used. It extracts a large amount of crema, and operates super fast, taking maybe 30 seconds to crank out a shot of espresso, including the 15 it takes to initially warm up. I don’t think I’d have bought one myself, but now that I have it I’ll certainly use it daily.

However, perhaps more miraculous than the espresso machine itself, is this thing, which seems to operate outside the realm of normal physics.

You put milk in, and push the button. In literally seconds, it has made hot frothed milk, with a crazy stiff peak. Apparently it can also make cold frothed milk.

Seriously though, I don’t understand how it can do it as fast as it does. I turned it on, and then went over to make a shot of espresso, and turned around and the light was off on the milk thing. I thought it didn’t work, out was defective or something. But nope, it was simply done. Totally crazy.

It has a little nub that sticks out of the bottom of the container where the milk goes, and a little spinny thing goes into it, held on by a magnet. There’s actually two of these things, one which is initially on the lid off the container, which I first almost threw away because it looked like a little protective plastic thing like you’d have on a printer ink cartridge. But no, it’s just the one for cold milk. The hot one has a little heating coil on it, which I’m assuming works via induction to get hot.

Anyway, the thing is impressive in how fast it works, and how cleanup is basically just rinsing it out.

Yeah, the milk frother is pretty damn cool.

I timed it after making that post, and it made hot milk with a stiff peak on the froth in 80 seconds.

I suspect black magic.

Edit, used an actual stopwatch now, and it was a little slower.