Kitchen Gadgetry

A bit of an impulse purchase (but the wife approves) - we now have a soft serve dessert maker; a Yonanas knock-off or private label version of it. Essentially, this thing turns frozen bananas and turns them into something that looks like, and has the texture of soft serve ice cream, but of course, tastes like bananas. You can also add in other frozen fruits.

The resulting dessert doesn’t taste very sweet with the numbing effect of the cold on the tongue, but it is still nice. The big advantage is that we can give our ice cream loving two year old “ice cream” and it’s all just fruit.

I forgot completely about the Rollie. Has anyone here bought one?

If so: Why?

Australian snakes have plenty of girth, thankyou very much!

They actually sell the grill coverings as rated by Snake-Girth Efficacy. The Dual-Titanium FilterPlus line from VentGuard Co guarantees up to 99.9% elimination of snakes of girths down to 5 microns!

(it might be the case that I recently went shopping for A/C intake filters after the hoard the owners of our rented condo left us ran out, and found myself stupefied by the variety and marketing nonsense on them)

I miss Good Eats. :(

(it’s a sandwich, you filthy buggers!)

For as much as I use my Sprializer, that might be the better choice. I like the spiralizer I have, but it takes up a bunch of shelf space for something I’m using about once every 3-4 months (now that the initial excitement has worn off).

The non-wifi version is on sale for $129 through Mothers Day.

Picked one up to be a wedding present. Thinking about bundling a vacuum sealer to go with it. Any recommendations, or should we just let them muddle through with zip-loc bags?

I can’t see the wifi feature adding any value at all to the cooker.

I don’t know if it’s worth 40% of the base price, but it’s mildly useful. I found when I was using Bluetooth it would lose connection if I wandered too far so the timer on the app would become useless.

Is the timer on the app useful?
I tend to just set a regular timer on my phone… and part of the beauty of the system is that time doesn’t really matter that much anyway.

Replaced? Why replaced?

-xtien

Gotta say. . . I don’t use my pressure cooker a TON, but I do love what it does a lot :-D

Fair enough. I am totally mystified at the idea of a pressure cooker making risotto! I think of that as so labor intensive, and yet now that you post this I’m recalling seeing someone do a risotto in the oven on some TV show.

Can’t wait to hear how that goes!

-xtien

I have a combo pressure cooker/slow cooker/rice cooker. I like it. The max pressure is 9 psi (I believe) which is a little low compared to other pressure cookers, especially stove top ones, but it works pretty well once you modify recipes.

The rice cooker is really a pressure cooker function timed specifically for rice. It just sets high pressure mode for 6 minutes. Works great for white and haiga (semi-brown) rice, but not so well for brown rices (I just set high pressure mode for 10-12 minutes). I have yet to spray rice all over my wall. I use the rice cooker function at least once a week, but I haven’t used the pressure cooker for anything else in a while. It can do some pretty great things in short amounts of time.

ObHotWetRice: HOT WET RICE!

Pressure cooker is indeed a great replacement for a slow cooker. It can do everything the crock pot can do, and more, in like a tenth the time.

If you are just looking to do sous-vide you definitely do not need a vacuum sealer. I got a Sansaire a couple months ago and I pretty much always use ziplocs to cook, because its easier and more convenient than using a vacuum sealer. That said, vacuum sealers are amazing for preserving food and I would recommend one just for that aspect. I have a FoodSaver 4840 and I love it.

Thank you for bringing me my new favorite show. If the simple act of trying to put a kettle down on its hot pad makes me laugh, I think you’ve got your timing down properly.

Thank you Courteous D. That was freaking great.

-xtien

“You have no choice but to love it.”

Oh, one thing that’s basically impossible to miss with in a pressure cooker is corned beef. 55 minutes on high pressure.

I don’t think modern pressure cookers can explode, unless you cover up all the extra vents and things with tape to stop the little doodads lifting up.

Still: I’ve had some bad results from a pressure cooker doing biryani and things. I think this is because I did a “fast” pressure release which explodes the rice into mush, rather than just letting the food naturally cool inside and then opening it, or something like that.

Either way it’s a bit of a black art.