Kitchen Gadgetry

Are you just trimming grass? Get the worx thing.

Do you need to cut down heavier brush, or have a large yard? Then a gas powered trimmer might be useful.

Gas yard stuff also carries the baggage of needing the fuel no to sit too long. Not an issue in California, but in wintery places itā€™s an issue. Iā€™s totally avoid 2-cycle yard stuff unless youā€™d drain the mix you make every 6 months.

Short answer: you probably donā€™t. Itā€™d be overkill for my needs, too, except that my gardening technique consists in letting my borders and hedges sit unattended for way too long, and then suiting up and going postal on all the overgrowth.

E: I actually use the trimmer part a lot, and I appreciate the power there.

Yeah, I went completely gas free and Iā€™m really happy. Batteries are expensive though, but whatcha gonna do? :)

Thatā€™s a very interesting kitchen gadget. Immersion blender?

Cook big or go home!

Gas-powered immersion blender. Think of the possibilities!

I think those are called ā€œoutboard motorsā€.

Fruit cake smoothie!

The battery lasts long enough to do my small lawn and trim the edges and then some. I used to use a corded electric trimmer. It was really annoying to deal with the cord.

My father used to swear by his corded lawn mower. No seriously. The cord had a crapload of splices wrapped in black electrical tape. It was seriously under powered as well. But there was dad, early Saturday morning, mowing the lawn. Occasionally cutting the extension cord. I loved that man. :)

I picked up a corded electric snowblower last year, because I have just enough driveway to use it, bit not enough to merit a gas one. Apparently batteries arenā€™t quite there for push mowers or snow blowers. The number of times Iā€™ve already eaten my extension cord with that guy makes me sure Iā€™m never going to buy a corded mower.

Stihl also has some excellent electric mowers with a battery that you can use in a chainsaw, leaf blower, and string trimmer, but off-da are they expensive.

We have this:
https://www.amazon.com/EGO-Power-20-Inch-Lithium-ion-Cordless/dp/B00NOGZCI2/?tag=qt3-20
Bought it on sale at Home Depot for maybe $350 a few years ago. It gets about 25-30 minutes per charge and recharges in about the same - just about the right excuse to have a beer in the middle of the mowing chore. And Iā€™m sure I use some interesting kitchen gadget whilst opening that beerā€¦

I use a reel mower.

Sorry to take over the lawn thread to ask thisā€“I kid, I kidā€“but my waffle maker has died. Itā€™s great when appliances give up the ghost during the holidays, isnā€™t it? But I really canā€™t complain, the thing has been dependable for more than twenty years. This morning it just really overheated to the point of smoking, and then it sort of steamed my sonā€™s morning waffle. This did not work out so well.

So, time for a new waffle maker. Anybody have a recommendation?

-xtien

https://www.google.com/search?q=wirecutter%20waffle

Wow. I really like that, @stusser. I especially like the fact that you can take out the plates for cleaning. Keeping this old one clean was nigh impossible.

Looks like it wonā€™t be in stock for now, but I like this. Thank you.

-xtien

I use my Cuisinart Griddler, which has optional waffle plates. Removable for easy washing, and the Griddler itself is an excellent panini press, griddle, and grill all on its own. One of my most used kitchen gadgets for several years running.

Mind, itā€™s not exactly cheap after you tack on the plates, but if you donā€™t already have a quality panini press or griddle, itā€™s possibly worth the significant premium.