Kitchen Gadgetry

FOR SALE
Sausage stuffer attachment, used with love, mostly thoroughly cleaned. Will consider trade for power tools OBO.

Iā€™m not sure if this is the right thread for this, but I guess itā€™s as good as any.

Does anyone here use cast iron cookware on their glass top electric stove? When we bought our new house, we had our choice of appliances (as it was new construction) and opted for a glass top stove. I havenā€™t yet used my cast iron on it, because Iā€™ve read all sorts of articles here and there saying that you shouldnā€™t because it can get too hot, cause the heating elements to shut down, or worse, crack the glass.

Iā€™ve seen some posts from random people on assorted websites say they use cast iron on their glass top stoves, but I was wondering if anyone here had any first hand experience?

I use an incredibly heavy 12" cast iron skillet all the time on my glass stove top. I wouldnā€™t care if it got a little scratched up though. Hasnā€™t scratched yet though, last I checked.

I use cast iron on my glass top stove on a daily basis, including my enameled cast iron.

The danger isnā€™t really that youā€™ll scratch it (as iron isnā€™t really hard enough to scratch glass unless you REALLy try). The danger is that you might crack the top if you just plunk the cast iron down onto it, since itā€™s heavy.

But since the surface is tempered, even that is somewhat unlikely.

Yeah, Iā€™m not so much worried about scratching the top (though Iā€™d prefer not to) as I am about the supposed danger of the pan getting too hot and the surface cracking because of that. It seemed odd that a cast iron pan could get that much hotter than say a set of heavy anodized aluminum filled with oil, for example.

Thanks for the input!

Iā€™m not worried about the iron scratching the glass but the iron being very heavy and hard and getting some sand or something trapped under it and scratch it from moving it around the cook top.

Same here, I use my enameled cast iron pan on my glass stove. Never heard it was possibly a bad thing. But I havenā€™t had a problem yet. Knock on wood.

The only scenario I can think of is if you leave a heavy cast iron pan on a high burner and then forget about it. Maybe the cast iron could get appreciably hotter than stainless or aluminum? My physics was a long time ago, and never that strong in the first placeā€¦

Ive been following the cooking thread where kitchen gadgets are often discussed but I never knew we had a dedicated thread here.
Anyway, for those interested, the Breville Smart Oven Air is on sale at amazon now for $319. https://www.amazon.com/Breville-BOV900BSS-Smart-Oven-Silver/dp/B01N5UPTZS?tag=qt3-20

The price is still valid but I donā€™t know for how long, these things usually last for a day before the price jumps back up.

I donā€™t really see how the pan could get hotter than the surface which is heating it, certainly not to the extent that the temperature differential causes the surface to crack.

Yeah, I suppose the main way would be as @Courteous_D said above, if the pan was left unattended on high heat. Cast iron does hold heat more than other pans, but like you say, it seems weird that it could get hotter than the burner that heated it in the first place, certainly to the extent that would cause the glass to crack.

I guess Iā€™ll go ahead and start using my cast iron and see how it goes!

The pan cannot get hotter than the burner. Heat moves down a temperature gradient. Unless you drill holes in it and attach a thermonuclear device.

The concerns about this I have read are mostly about damaging the pan ā€“ a hot spot heats part ot the pan too quickly and it warps. Thatā€™s why they should always be heated on low and gradually turned up.

Okay, this will show my embarrassing lack of physics knowledge, but, like, how could a pan possibly get hotter than the actual heat source itself that is heating it?

Like if the glass is not going to crack or melt from the heat source that is heating the pan, how would it crack or melt from the heat of the pan?

EDIT: Yeah, I think about three of us just said the same thing.

Cast iron can warp, but I wouldnā€™t worry about it unless you have a high-power induction cooktop. Home gas and electric stoves just donā€™t get hot enough.

The heat source under the glass will not damage the glass. The heat source plus the glass, plus a thick layer of cast iron will not allow heat to radiate into the air. It is quite possible that the glass, sandwiched between heat source and iron, could be subjected to higher temperatures than normal. Especially if the cast iron was red hot. Iā€™m guessing this could stress the glass in a way that would damage its temper and cause damage.

Does anyone use or has used gadgets like this? I love me some soft-boiled eggs, but I donā€™t need 6 f them at a time. Iā€™m also wondering if itā€™s any easier than a pot of water and an egg timer you toss in along with the egg.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DDXYC6O/ref=s9u_cartx_gw_i1?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pd_rd_i=B00DDXYC6O&pd_rd_r=a7bfdd1f-3125-11e8-8a4a-f37621261a75&pd_rd_w=woXMw&pd_rd_wg=8giWP&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=0PGRCMT63311MJJAS969&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=8f696f0a-3abd-4660-b9bd-1931764e0008&pf_rd_i=desktop

I am told that you can make perfect boiled eggs easily in an electric (or presumably stove top) pressure cooker but I have never needed boiled eggs of any variety.