Kitchen Gadgetry

Oh yeah I think you want to soak 30 minutes. I assume the rice cooker includes this soak time (30 mins soak, 20 mins actual cook time).

My ancient SodaStream Jet gave up the ghost the same week my rice cooker died. It was leaking gas (only when activated) through what looked like a crack and I wasn’t able to repair it myself, so I went ahead and picked up a SodaStream Source. The Source doesn’t accept 130-L cylinders, unfortunately. Any suggestion for what to do with the empties other than a landfill? No one I know who is local to me needs them.

Craigslist?

Doh! Of course. Thanks. :)

Edit: Hauled 'em into my local exchange shop and they traded for them anyway. I think the girl at the counter might have been crushing on me a little, because she even applied a discount to the exchange.

Pairing these with my Breville juicer.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DN6001G
https://www.amazon.com/Brieftons-Silicone-Sleeves-Insulated-Protection/dp/B076BMYS9Z

This is working out pretty well. I did a batch last week, and it provided part of four meals. Really nice. And folks seem to really like the crust. It isn’t getting as crispy as I’d like it on the bottom, but that’s an issue of lack of stone/steel. Still, it’s working pretty well.

The second batch:

I’ll post decent pictures of one of the pizzas in the cooking thread.

Thanks again for this recipe.

-xtien

I’ve been reading a bit about the way that plastic straws are bad for the environment, so I looked into various options. Eventually I purchased these.

They are wide enough to drink a smoothie or milkshake through. Solidly constructed. The cleaning brush is nice but they will be going into the dishwasher. Oh and, borosilicate glass.

I purchased some really nice silicon straws. I like them better than the glass or stainless steel ones because they are very flexible. Mine are also wider than a standard straw and suitable for smoothies.

I love this post, Rich. I was talking about this with my girlfriend’s mom a few weeks ago, because she got this cool cup with a metal straw for my girlfriend’s kid.

I tend to wash and reuse straws a lot, because I think throwing them away is silly and a waste. i like that cleaning brush, though.

-xtien

That’s what I’ve been doing as well. I put them in the silverware basket in the dishwasher. It shows you just how indestructible plastic straws are. The dishwasher, which can ruin a good knife, doesn’t bother them!

Never washed my GFs straws but I like the options you guys are talking.

Does anybody have an opinion on squeeze bottles? I want to buy some, but have no idea if there’s a difference between various offerings. My insurance inct is to buy the cheapest, dishwasher safe commodity food service ones I can find, because, well, they’re just extruded plastic, but maybe there’s actually a difference?

The kind of plastic is important, some really absorb food odors/flavors, some you shouldn’t use with hot or acidic contents. But I don’t know what is best for which.

I bought these a couple years ago and use them for hot sauce, which I purchase by the half-gallon. They work fine.

What stusser linked. I’ve bought smaller ones off amazon that were food safe and we use them for oil, water, vinegar, etc near the stove. I also have a couple in the fridge for things as well (simple syrup is a staple around here.)

I was going to just get some commodity food service ones, but my primary use cases are oil and simple syrups, so I got skittish about reports of them leaking through the threads, which isnt an issue with thicker sauces, but would be for thinner liquids. Something I could deal with, but didn’t want to.

So, I bought two more expensive ones: one from oxo, and one from a Japanese brand that was specifically advertised for oil. I figured I didn’t mind paying a couple bucks extra for something a little more substantial. Notably, they both have washer-type seals that fit inside the mouth of the bottle to block leaks through the threads, which cheaper ones lack. They both seem fine so far.

The Prime Day deal on the Anova was apparently enough to get me to pull the trigger on a sous vide circulator. So, now I need to figure out what to do with it, other than very clever eggs.

I’ve been meaning to play around with making carnitas for a while, so that’s probably on the list. I suspect that there are char siu recipes that I could play with as well.

via Imgflip Meme Generator

I still don’t see it. I’ve had one meal served to me that had a sous vide component, and it was fine. But not appreciably better than the way I grill stuff.

-xtien

My understanding is that, in general, sous vide is (generally speaking) more about consistent replicability than quality per se.

For instance, I get nervous making soft-boiled eggs way out of proportion to the stakes (i.e. if you fail…you just have hard boiled eggs), so that’s a use case for me. Making soy-sauce eggs without having to think about timing will be nice.

Also, I was idly thinking about egg proteins setting and wondered: can you make creme brulee via sous vide? And you can! You just poach in a bag and then pour into ramekins to set! (I have a blowtorch already). Now, I just have to figure out how many times I need to make that to successfully justify the purchase to my wife.

IIRC the cooking thread is packed full of sous vide tips. Welcome to the club!