Kitchen Gadgetry

That sounds like a terrible feature.

Yeah, I wouldn’t want it to clear on door-open, but maybe after 5 minutes of sitting idle. I have the same issue, where I’ll put in my food and start to punch in the time and nothing will happen, and it turns out that somebody got impatient and pulled their food out with 10 seconds left.

Okay, so I got this as a semi-gag gift, because I fail pretty hard at the flippy tong based taco making that my girlfriend does so well. I mean, this would work, if you had about a 4 inch deep deep fryer. In fact, if any of you want it, let me know. As it stands, you can fry one side really, really well. Or both sides, if you waste a ton of oil frying. But the placement angle of the handle is horrible, making you use it from the side instead of downward. Due to that, I can’t even use it in the actual deep fryer I have.

Now I’m in search of something better that works in a much smaller frying skillet or my fryer.

Are the tortillas not still pliable at all, immediately after they come out of the pan? You could use that to shape them.

They are but they are hot and oily, hard to do much. Basically though that’s the method my girlfriend uses, and her father owned a Mexican eatery for a while, though I think she’s using the method he did at the house.

Using tongs she will hold the tortilla shell halfway in the oil at angle. As it starts to harden from frying, she will push the angle part down in the oil, setting the angle she wants. To finish, she flips it and holds the already fried side up. Once also slightly hardened and fried, she pulls it out and sets it to dry and dry with the open side facing down.

It sounds complicated, but she has it down to a science. Me? I completely ruin shells attempting it.

A man’s got to know his limitations. Especially when the GF wants to cook. :)

Whaaaaaaat?
Instant Pot 8 Qt Aura Pro Multi-Use Programmable Multicooker with Sous Vide, Silver https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07GB8C52S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_NfdlCb1XA6BEE

Whaaaaaaat what? Is it somehow crazy?

Wait, nevermind.

I had thought the thing was like the normal pressure cooker instant pots, but also with a sous vide function, which would be cool.

But it’s not. It doesn’t function as a pressure cooker.

It’s still a pretty amazing deal, since it is an immersion sous vide, PLUS all the other functions. That’s pretty flipping nice. Can you imagine if it was also a pressure cooker? Man. Instant Pot is knocking it out of the park lately.

One of the things I love about my anova is how compact the unit is and how it can work with anything from a small container to a giant pot. I wouldn’t want a fixed volume sous vide device that takes up a lot of space.

Also, it looks like that thing doesn’t have active water circulation?

Speaking of containers for Sous Vide - over the holidays I had to cook 26 lbs of Brisket for 48 hours. I had this plastic container which I cut a perfect hole in for the Anova - it worked great. I liked the container because it wasn’t too deep. So many potential containers are just too deep & you end up having to put a ton of water in it to cover up the circulation mechanism.

We typically just use our pots for smaller dishes for the family, but when you need to go big, you don’t need a new sous vide. The Anova handled it fine. Funny story is I put this on our Granite countertop and nearby butter started to melt after about 12 hours as the granite heated up.

here’s the pic of me using my CNC to cut out the hole ;-)

I stick a towel under (and even one on top) my sous vide container for longer sessions.

I’ve done similar for both brisket and pork shoulder at this point. It works really well. I just smoke it afterward for a short time. For me, I sous vide it upstairs, well away from the kitchen. It’s really nice having that option.

Agreed, I think it’d be much better to invest in a joule, etc. instead.

I was thinking of a smoker after doing a few briskets, but after following the serious eats instructions for post-sous vide of putting it in the oven for a few hours at 250, I’m not in that much of a hurry - it doesn’t make me any less envious of those who do have a smoker, but it fell a few notches down.

I got an electric smoker as a gift a couple of years ago and have really liked it. I have to say the convienince of it being an electric is probably why I’ve used it so much. I know in die-hard smoker circles, electric is frowned upon, but it works amazingly well.

Smokers as a whole take a -long- time to cook. I don’t mind that, but I really hate babysitting something if it’s going to be a long cook. Sous vide allows that. To be fair, an electric smoker also allows that. But I think they work really well together. I have pics previously posted of a brisket pastrami I did a while back, finished with smoking over hickory. It was mind blowing, certainly for me, as I’d never made anything that tasty.

Agreed – I typically just use a small pot at home, but in the past I have rigged up the device inside a massive cooler to sous vide dozens of steaks at once when preparing for a cookout. A set-volume container does not appeal to me.

I like that about mine too, but for sure, a full container sous vide allows a TON of additional flexibility, in essence it’s a braising machine with extreme temp accuracy, plus baking, plus saute … that thing isn’t an Instant Pot, it’s an oven/range replacement. It is a dorm room dream come true.

• Sear/Sauté – Flexible temperature settings makes it perfect for simmering, caramelizing and sautéing vegetables, and searing meat. Temperature ranges from 250~425°F [120~220°C], you can easily adjust the time from 5 minutes to 1 hour, with a default time of 30 minutes.
  • Bake – Prevents you from heating up your kitchen. Temperature ranges from 250~425°F [120~220°C], you can adjust the time from 10 minutes to 4 hour, with a default time of 1 hour.
  • Slow Cooker – Two temperature settings High (H) and Low (L) with the ability to set the cooking time from 30 minutes to 24 hours for both temperature levels and a default time of 4 and 6 hours respectively.

I’m so envious. That looks amazing!