Kitchen Gadgetry

Hey, sous vide makes brisket easy-peesy for what it’s worth.

That’s some fine looking brisket.

Last year I started using the pressure cooker to make pulled pork, and it works very well, and only takes around an hour to cook a pork shoulder. With some liquid smoke, the effect is quite good.

Not as good as when I use my smoker, but that shit is an all day affair.

Yes indeed.

Now I want a pastrami sandwich. I shouldn’t have looked at those pics again.

I’m about ready to replace my ancient toaster oven with a counter-top convection oven. It looks like the latest Breville, Cuisinart and Toshiba models are the ones to look at, but some of the Amazon reviews I’ve seen make me hesitate. Plus, even the latest models don’t look all that current, judging from the Amazon listings, and my gut tells me it might be good to wait for newer models to come out.

Opinions?

I had never really looked into the InstaPot craze, so I figured they were just a crockpot that got hotter or something. Like instead of slow cooking all day you could do it in a few hours. But my kids got us one for Christmas, and I let it sit unopened or even looked at really until yesterday. Then I take a look and it’s a freaking pressure cooker thing that cooks in minutes???!!! My world just opened up! The possibilities are endless (in my mind anyway)!

I think we’re breaking it in with goulash tonight.

Yeah, Instant Pots are the bomb. Cooked an amazing Thanksgiving risotto in about ten minutes with mine.

Yup, and while it was the slow cooker function that sold me (to replace the old one), it’s the pressure cooker that I use 100x more.

Witch! Burn the witch!

Witch. What superstitious nonsense. Everyone knows there’s no such thing as a witch. Clearly he’s a Time Lord.

Well there’s always the June oven. You can watch your food cook in 1080p 30fps video on your smartphone! You can control it with Alexa! A bargain at $599.

But yeah, I’d just get the Breville.

The original plan included a turkey (using the Instant Pot, which I was excited to try), until I remembered that my daughter is a vegetarian now and would probably appreciate not having to smell it.

And the ten minutes was just the cooking time. Prep and sauteing was 5-10 additional minutes.

Have owned two brevilles (passed the first down to son) for several years and been very happy with both. Took me years to convince my wife to try a toaster oven and she really likes it.

I don’t think there’s been much change in the state of the art on these things in the last ten years or more. I guess since I got my Breville it’s added air fryer functionality or something? That seems like about it, and I got mine in early 2011.

I’m going to argue that in almost all situations in which you’d use a slow cooker, you are better off choosing one of two other options: a Dutch oven placed on a rack in a 225°F (105°C) oven, or a pressure cooker.

The pressure cooker is one thing that is one of the most useful things you can have, and one thing that is really impossible to fully understand why you need it until after you’ve used one.

I so totally agree.

One thing I do not see many people talk about is the ability to cook food directly from frozen, without thawing it.

I take those bulk frozen chicken breasts. I throw in a cup of brown rice, a couple cups (or 1.5) of chicken stock, a couple of frozen chicken breasts, and some spices.

Then in 30 minutes, I have wonderful brown rice and fully cooked, shredded chicken. It’s amazing.

Drop in a frozen pork chop, and put some fingerling potatoes in a steamer basket above it. Against, in 30 minutes, a fully done pork chop with steamed potatoes.

The thing just revolutionizes cooking from the perspective of being able to use frozen meats but still cook quick meals.

For me it’s mainly been a way to cook dried beans. Fuck soaking and pre-prepping a day ahead of time. Just toss 'em in dry with some liquid and flavoring agents and 20-40 minutes later you have something way better than canned - and cheaper.

That too. And it goes to my broader point. It is game changing at taking things that normally require involved advanced prep time (thawing, soaking beans, boiling water then slow steaming), and turning it into “throw things in a pot, boom, done in under an hour.”

I’ll use it to pressure cook rice if it’s not being used for anything else. 6 minutes for white, about 15 for brown (depending on the type of brown rice) or 9-10 minutes for the rice we use most often, haiga (semi-brown) rice.