Kitchen Gadgetry

So in regards to the question, “Will it blend: roommate?” The answer was, yes? Also, “don’t breathe this.”

Finally got to use the Oxo cherry pitter impulse buy from a few months ago. Clearly, cherry pie was only invented because grandmothers had not much to do besides sit there for a few hours with a knife, pitting 2 lbs of cherries.

The full success rate (the pit launched into a bowl) was only about 40%, with another 30% or so where the cherry got pitted but the pit stuck in the hole in the pitter. But even in the 30% where the pit stayed in the cherry, the cherry was sliced open and it was a breeze to remove the pit by hand. So I’m taking this as an absolute win.

The last time I made clafoutis I used a paper clip. It went pretty fast once I got the hang of it.

Now that it’s officially summer, I made batches of Black Cherry and Strawberry Shave Ice syrup, 2 lbs of fruit each. Filled about 3 Mason jars each, which I’ll refrigerate or freeze, and move to a squeeze bottle as needed.

I pit the cherries with a chopstick (Chinese style, broad rather than pointy), holding the cherry and pointing directly into the sink to catch the pit and any juice that splashes. Inelegant, but it does the job. Takes quite a while, but it isn’t too bad overall. I’ve considered a cherry pitter, but I generally only do the cherries once a year. And then maybe once for a clafoutis or something. Even with a pitter, I find the success rate pretty variable? So I can’t justify the purchase.

I’ll do more strawberries if I need to at the end of summer. But they’re way less work, just slicing.

I may attempt a haupia sauce again this year. I did it once before, but failed pretty miserably (clumping). However I had more success with some similar things this year, so I may reattempt. I’ll crack open a can of condensed milk until then, it usually lasts the whole summer.

Cherry pitter feels like a unitasker. The only one I can abide in my kitchen is the fire extinguisher.

Who doesn’t want to be wolvarine?

Yeah - but I’m a bit more forgiving. A unitasker that is small enough to hide in a drawer full of small utensils, and goes in the dishwasher, can have a place in my kitchen as long as it saves me time on a recurring basis. (and by ‘save time’, in this case it means ‘will bake a cherry pie’ - I just wouldn’t do it without it, chopsticks and paper clips be damned)

I have a ton of OInk Oink and Eggy stuff from Joie:

https://joieshop.com/12-novelty

Oh god. If my girlfriend finds that site I’m in big trouble.

“I know we have 5 of these, sweetie, but this one was soooooo cuuuuuuute! Look!!”

We will literally own everything there if she finds it.

Well, at least they are inexpensive!

BRB. Setting up blackhole dns for that domain on my home network.

Aw dang, this would have been useful a month ago. I just bought some cute egg cups, but the selection was pretty lacking.

(In before Americans say “what the hell do you need egg cups for?”)

How do they eat their boiled eggs if not out of egg cups? Do they have a machine for it?

I primarily eat my boiled eggs out of a bowl of ramen.

The real answer? In my experience, most Americans only eat hard boiled eggs and thus are usually eaten sliced, diced, whatever.

We swallow them whole, like our young.

This.

Also…steaming eggs works really well.

-xtien

speaking of boiled eggs, this is the bees knees:

Not only can you dial in your eggs just like you want them (slightly runny yoke for me), but it comes with some other cups where you can make egg bites like Starbucks - you add anything you want. Egg, bacon, cheese, onions, olives, whatever.

This gets used probably more than any other appliance at our house.

Not soft boiled? :'(

I guess it’s the lack of salmonella-vaccinated hens?

Yeah soft boiled is much less popular here in America. About the only place I see it on a menu is at Ramen shops, which is why I joked about that. Maybe it’s more popular in other parts of the country, but I hardly ever see them on the west coast. Which is a shame because they are delicious.

Well, poached is basically the same thing, and that’s very common in all the many varieties of eggs benedict.