Kitchen Gadgetry

You probably need higher hydration in the dough.

Also possible it needs a longer rise time. Lots of variance in how long to let bread rise due to temp, humidity, the phase of the moon, etc
 Same with how much water to use, as stusser mentions.

I got a molcajete :) I think I might eat nothing but salsa and guacamole for the next month.

Rise time, and warmer while doing so. I used to make what I called half-bread because it was so damn dense it was like a loaf of bread in half the size/height. Same issue, rise time.

Flip side of that, I always tended to over-proof my bread, so it would rise beautifully for a few minutes, then collapse into a brick. “Catch it on the rise” is good advice.

Makes me wonder if any of mine were due to that. Yeast is so finicky.

What’s funny is that when brewing, I only rarely had yeast or low fermentation issues. Bread is just in it’s own ballgame as far as that goes.

Yeah, my crumb issues (though I actually prefer a slightly denser loaf for spreads) was not a long enough bulk ferment, too. I only figured it out after I fell asleep and had it ‘over-proof.’ Had been using a method where you take a bit of the dough and put into a vessel to mark when it doubles. I guess triples works better for my dough/yeast/house temperature/latitude.

Yo, this looks pretty cool as a cheaper alternative to the breville smart oven air, but with a lot of the same advantages.

That $119 price point is decent for me. But does it do all of the things that it says it does, well? Paging @stusser.

I’ve got one of these

It’s well made for what it sets out to do
 but i’m not sure exactly what that is. Basically glorified toaster that can toast as fast or faster than a push down toaster, but that uses IR like it were a microwave.

I mean when it says toaster it means toaster. Unlike even a cheap $25 toaster oven it really can’t bake at all, because the radiant light will burn everything exposed to it in minutes like a horrible sun tan.

Well
 That was an
 interesting take.

Anybody else? :)

Oh i was just reading a few months back about Anova ovens! Just a random thought unrelated to the air fryer.

I have that same model and bake with it all the time. You have to be careful because it cooks faster than a standard oven, but it can cook salmon really well in about 10 minutes at 390f.

Thanks, that worked
mostly. It was better than my past loaves, but still not as airy I would like. Usually, I do 2 hours at ~68Âș. Today I did 4 hours at ~71Âș. It worked well enough that I was happy with it. It’s a 70% hydration dough, so it should be airier than it is. At least I think that is the way it works.

I would love to get one of those bread proofing boxes so I could get my dough warm without making my condo uncomfortably warm. Just can’t justify the cost.

I never thought of that. Thank you.

I haven’t tried it myself, but cook’s illustrated is the gold standard. They test everything extensively.

When I was a Red Apple baker, we would also use a fine mist sprayer during the actual backing process. Sometimes the rolls and loaves didn’t thaw enough.

FYI do not spray directly onto the lights at the back of the oven. Glass shards on the bread is not Good Eats. :)

That’s very common, you want to bake bread with some humidity so the crust doesn’t form quickly inhibiting the rise. LeeAbe was asking about proofing, which is when you let it rise before baking. You want that to be in a warm environment also. Humidity doesn’t really matter while proofing except you don’t want the dough to dry out, so you usually tent with a damp towel or cover in plastic wrap.

The ovens I used had a proofing section on the bottom. Very warm but not hot. Then you would bring the trays up to the oven part. It was fun.

They locked us in the supermarket overnight. I asked what to do if there was a fire. My boss said, Throw a chair through the window and get out.