Kitchen Gadgetry

Who wants to turn on a full sized oven to make toast? And toast depends upon direct radiance. In a full sized oven you would probably end up with completely dry bread. Toaster ovens are fast. The one I have uses quartz bulbs, it is very fast.

And toaster ovens are multi-use. So you can avoid heating up the full oven and the kitchen as well. Especially in the summer.

I use my toaster oven a lot more than my full-sized oven. It heats up fast, heats evenly, and does a great job. Itā€™s worth the money to get the Breville.

Ok. I normally toast bread in my toaster? (the old school thing that flips up the breadslices vertically)
Guess I could use the toaster oven to put some cheese on that bread, but for that I use the grill function in my oven that heats up pretty fast.

But then Iā€™m a very hap hazard amateur cook that just doesnā€™t have too much imagination of what wonders one can produce in the kitchen!

(Context: single household downtown with loads of take out options and we do have a canteen at workā€¦)

We use our toaster oven a ton. English Muffins, chicken nuggets, french fries, chicken strips, garlic breadā€¦ there are a ton of things that we cook that doesnā€™t require a full size oven to do and as others have mentioned it cooks a lot faster than a normal oven mainly because of the preheat time is much shorter.

Also, I imagine some full sized ovens do this, but my toaster oven will cook for the programmed amount of time and then turn off (and is a convection oven) and my full oven wonā€™t (and isnā€™t). I donā€™t know if I would have gotten it if Iā€™d had a full oven at the time, but I didnā€™t, and it came with me and has been very useful alongside the full thing too.

I find this more of an annoyance than a help, since I need to check to see whatever I am cooking is done before it switches off. I just put my toaster over to run for an hour to avoid this.

I used to run the toaster oven because it was a pain to heat up the full size oven for small things. We now have a stove with two ovens. The top one is small and heats up quickly so the toaster oven has been packed away.

I donā€™t cook things where I need to check if itā€™s done in it. I cook like, toast and frozen pizza and stuff, and those have defined amounts of time that produce consistent results, whereas I have to remember to take that stuff out of the regular oven before they burn.

Timers are your friendā€¦

Timers do not actually turn off the oven, is the important part.

My oven has a timer that actually will turn off the heat. But of course thatā€™s not a standard feature.

But I mean you get up when the timer goes off and turn it off then.

(excepting cases of crippling lack of executive function, in which case, apologies for dickish ableism on my part)

Or, you could just use a toaster oven and not have to worry about it.

Yes, of course you can use a timer and get off your flat ass to take your stuff out of the oven, but an integrated cook timer is much more convenient. Really what I want is one of those smart ovens with a camera inside so I can watch my crap cook from my couch iPad and be assured my buttocks remain cushioned until the very last moment.

Even better, we can leverage machine learning to track every human being in the world, Iā€™d like my oven to tell me when my Costco onion rings are the perfect shade of golden brown, turn off the heat itself, and then summon an android in an olympic figure skater outfit to docilely fetch me said snacks which I will eat whilst it expertly fellates me. When done with both the meal and my orgasm, it will then transform to a toilet and I will defecate in its integrated receptacle. Following my bowel movement, NancyBot (ala Kerrigan) will lovingly lick my butthole clean and obligingly climb down on its hands and knees to act as an ottoman. I will fart, soundly and loudly, with great satisfaction, in its face, and it will thank me for it, and compliment me on its duration and timbre. For I am its master.

Thatā€™s the future I want. Nay, deserve.

@stusser will be the first one that our eventual robot overlords will kill.

Can I change my vote for kitchen gadget Iā€™d keep?

I have this for that $1000 easy bake oven my boss got me. Also shows the temp of the thermometer if youā€™re using it on day a piece of protein.

Itā€™s less useful than Iā€™d like. Any moisture tends to obscure the image a bit so you can tell that something has burned but itā€™s harder to judge that something is almost done. I still wind up looking at the food ā€œin person ā€œ to decide if I want to cook it longer.

Yeah the Juul oven or whatever. Thatā€™s the sort of automation I deserve. They have to fix the fogging lens issue though.

+1. I want to be in the same world as my food.