Kitchen Gadgetry

That came out GORGEOUS

Thank you sir. From you, that means a lot. Thinking of getting one? You really should. Actually you should get two. :)

I cannot buy a single extra thing for my kitchen, sadly. But I will watch your adventures with this cool new tool with great excitement!

It is smol. And it has holes in it it. That reduces weight. You could fit it in somewhere. Must I send you one?

Super useful when you donā€™t have to drill your own holes!

I genuinely beg of you not to. My cabinets are screaming in pain right now, and genuinely good cookware is getting scraped up and abused due to being crammed in with so much other stuff :(

What am I looking at there? Itā€™s that your quiche sitting on top of a can of chickpeas?

How is that possible?

Because the bottom is not soggy, it is strong!

Chickpeas make bottom strong

Using a can or similar is a common way to de-pan a baked good from a springform pan or similar. Gives the base something solid and fairly narrow to sit on letting the sides drop down.

I didnā€™t realize the bottom of the pan was separate like a springform pan. :)

Thatā€™s the proper way to do a garbanzo bean infusion.

Can you make a deep dish pizza in it (that is the first thing I thought after seeing the pics)

I donā€™t see why not.

Question for you kitchen wizards. I need advice for daily seasoning for my cast iron pan. I was using a Crisbee stick which worked great but in my search for something less expensive I switched to plain old Crisco. And that sucks - as liberally as I put it on, my eggs still stick like crazy to the pan.

Anyone have any recommendations for a daily seasoning lube for the pan?

Daily? Semi-serious here, but maybe youā€™re over-cleaning it? I donā€™t do any maintenance on mine, but I frequently leave it greasy from breakfast and just cook with that, my eggs donā€™t stick. I figure it was sterile when I turned the heat off, and if itā€™s too grungy/oily I just heat it back up and give it a dry wipe with a paper towel, which leaves enough oil to cook on. When I do clean it, I like to reoil it with avocado oil, which has a crazy high smoke point. Expensive, but this is the only thing I use it for so it lasts.

This is me, too. A quick wipe and re-heat usually does the trick. If thereā€™s bit of whatever in there, Iā€™ll deglaze with some water. If that picks up too much of the oil on the surface, Iā€™ll put a smidge (like, 1/4 oz at most) of flaxseed oil on a towel and wipe the surface down with that. I use the same oil for re-seasoning every now and then.

If I think there is too much grease in the pan I do the salt thing. Pour a layer of kosher salt in it. Heat it up a bit and then use a paper towel or two, to scrub it out.

Yep, I use the salt method too. Only resort to soap and water scrub if I have no other choice. Iā€™ll always re-oil after that.

I just throw the cast iron in the dishwasher.

:)