Knights of the Chalice (OGL RPG)

Exciting! Hey, since you’re here, quick question – in the original KotC, is there a way to modify the auto-follow camera during combat so it doesn’t center projectiles in the center of the screen – and then move the screen to keep the projectile in the center of the screen as it flies through the air? That is wildly unconventional and disorienting!

Kickstarter backers will receive the game and its integrated adventure-creation toolset as soon as the campaign ends!

Wooo, I mean I was going to back it anyways but I thought we would still be waiting a year after the Kickstarter.

I just watched his his Kickstarter preview trailer, and you seriously might be onto something. Tell me what you think, and don’t forget to Like and Subscribe:

kotc2

Count on it, I sure will. I cannot actually go back and play the gold box games I have massive nostalgia for . . . I have tried, I just cannot do it. In a very very good way your first game took me back to childhood wonder of D&D somehow as well and in some ways better than the also amazing Baldur’s Gate, Temple of Elemental Evil etc. Absolutely looking forward to KotC 2 :-)

Super duper stoked for it. Good luck!

Thank you very much :)

is there a way to modify the auto-follow camera during combat so it doesn’t center projectiles in the center of the screen – and then move the screen to keep the projectile in the center of the screen as it flies through the air?

Ah, so you would prefer no screen scrolling, and instead have the projectile fly through the screen, and then only centre the screen on the arrow when the arrow is about to leave the edge of the screen? Is that correct?

I just watched his his Kickstarter preview trailer , and you seriously might be onto something. Tell me what you think, and don’t forget to Like and Subscribe

You know what? It’s actually true that I’ve been seeing things differently. I filter out blue light from my screen, to protect my eyes, and only now I’m realising that some images I’ve produced have a little too much purple or blue on them. Something I absolutely couldn’t see when the filter was on. Have to keep in mind to switch off that filter from time to time…

Absolutely looking forward to KotC 2 :-)

Awesome, thank you very much for the encouragement! :-)

I think the game looks great and I’ve already followed the KS page, but I was referring to the demonic eyes in the video screenshot that might not be showing up in your blue filter. I imagine eyes like that could see through to a person’s soul.

I’m not a game designer, so I tend to only notice things when they are distractingly bad or unusually good! That’s just to say, I think so? How do other turn-based RPGs do it? I haven’t noticed how most other RPGs handle this, which means they’re doing something right!

I was referring to the demonic eyes in the video screenshot that might not be showing up in your blue filter. I imagine eyes like that could see through to a person’s soul.

Ah ah, yes, I saw that you were referring to the demonic red eyes. A blue filter only blocks some of the blue and nothing else, so the red is unchanged. :) I agree, someone or something with eyes like this probably has a permanent ‘True Seeing’ condition! Though D&D Skeletons also have glowing red eyes.

I’m not a game designer, so I tend to only notice things when they are distractingly bad or unusually good! That’s just to say, I think so? How do other turn-based RPGs do it? I haven’t noticed how most other RPGs handle this, which means they’re doing something right!

Giving the player an option for this (turn off centering on arrows) sounds like a good idea. I will add it to the To Do list for KotC 2. I might also add that option to KotC 1. Thank you!

It might be difficult to compare with a game like Baldur’s Gate for example, because in that game, the player controls the camera’s viewpoint. Magic effects and arrows all move simultaneously without affecting the camera, unlike a game with turn-based combat.

Maybe look at your main turn-based influences then, or any turn-based tactical combat game. How do the Gold Box games do it? Or X-Com? Or Chaos Reborn? Or Age of Wonders? Or even something like Final Fantasy Tactics?

I guarantee they don’t center the projectile with a follow-cam!

Obviously you don’t need to listen to me, because this game was already a huge hit (at least it seems so on this forum), but I tried to get into it and immediately noped out because the follow-cam was so weird and disorienting.

So, I somehow missed this being on Steam, which is why it kept falling off my radar all these years, and there is a demo!

I’m 19 minutes into the demo and I’m in love. Holy shit this is great. The encounters are well done and exciting, the AI is great (almost too good - zombies going after my mage!), the way the interface works (like being able to right-click through options when at a door to open, or listen, etc.) feels good, and being able to do stuff like listen at doors! I’ll keep at the demo since it sounds like a self-contained adventure, but I’m going to be picking this up and playing it as soon as I wrap up one of my other open projects!

It looks like the Kickstarter for Knights of the Chalice 2 launched today.

$18,325 goal (or 15k in some sort of UK funny money).

Irritated that you have to up your pledge by $10 for a Steam key. If you got one at the lowest tier I’d probably back for at least that, but as it is…ehhhh. Maybe I’ll change my mind later.

That’s for a KotC1 steam key, not a KotC2 steam key. All levels of KotC2 that reward the game give a digital download.

That’s not what it says.

The previous level (at 20 pounds) only has the direct download.

Ahh you’re right.

It’s a shame too, if it DID include a KotC1 key I’d probably have snagged it at that level.

I’m not sold on the new graphics, but I’m encouraged that they still use the “splat” icons for AoE damage hits. I loved those.

Animated image

Yeah, if the 28 pound version got me KotC 2 and KotC 1, both on Steam, I’d jump on that immediately. Having a tier with the game being Kickstarted but no Steam key is just weirdly parsimonious in a way that puts me off.

Yup.5

It looks like the Kickstarter for Knights of the Chalice 2 launched today.

That’s right!! Finally, Knights of the Chalice 2 is coming and the Kickstarter is LIVE!!

Obviously you don’t need to listen to me, because this game was already a huge hit (at least it seems so on this forum), but I tried to get into it and immediately noped out because the follow-cam was so weird and disorienting.

I don’t disagree, I’m planning to have an option for this.

I’m 19 minutes into the demo and I’m in love. Holy shit this is great. The encounters are well done and exciting, the AI is great (almost too good - zombies going after my mage!), the way the interface works (like being able to right-click through options when at a door to open, or listen, etc.) feels good, and being able to do stuff like listen at doors! I’ll keep at the demo since it sounds like a self-contained adventure, but I’m going to be picking this up and playing it as soon as I wrap up one of my other open projects!

I’m glad you like the game!!

I’m not sold on the new graphics, but I’m encouraged that they still use the “splat” icons for AoE damage hits. I loved those.

Don’t worry, we will improve the graphics! For sure, we will keep the Splat icons! :D

Irritated that you have to up your pledge by $10 for a Steam key. If you got one at the lowest tier I’d probably back for at least that, but as it is…ehhhh. Maybe I’ll change my mind later.

I hear you. I hope you will join the Kickstarter campaign anyway.

Thank you for your interest everyone!! :-)