Knights of the Chalice (OGL RPG)

while I am likely to back this. I have some minor doubts. Nobody needs 700 spells. Nobody wants 700 spells. Nobody has time to code the effects of 700 spells and still release a game with a bunch of other content and some semblance of balance in a timely fashion (of course he’s been hacking away at this part time for a million years now so that concern is probably moot). I admire ambition and wanting to stuff things in, but really, nobody needs or wants 700 spells.

Also it’s weird that Kickstarter won’t let you favorite something that’s not live but public. That’s not user friendly.

There’s a “notify on launch” button that has a heart on it. Maybe that turns into a favourite after launch?

As for KOTC 2. I think I’d only consider buying it if they did something about the massively swingy battles. i.e. you’d get ambushed, and then all your guys roasted on turn 1 and there’s not much you can do about it. So you’d reload, know that you’re going to get ambushed and so position things differently / buff differently / cast more / fewer spells to tinker with the RNG so that the AI’s turn rolls lots of misses, and now suddenly your guys are able to survive and make it through completely unharmed.

The entire game was like that for me :/

Whilst I enjoy tactical games, I think when you have such swingy-ness it stops being tactical, like it claims, and more like a luck-fest.

edit: First time I’ve bothered to look at the screenshots and it’s no longer a grid-based engine draw using 1985 level pixel graphics with unreadable fonts! Instead everyone is a disc, which is interesting. I wonder if he played a lot of Catacombs or something? :)

That’s funny I scrolled right past everything in the header to the actual Kickstarter description stuff, where the Favorite button exists (but doesn’t work). Notify me on launch will suffice. . . although I think it would be preferrable to allow me to favorite and ping on launch. I digress.

[quote]
As for KOTC 2. I think I’d only consider buying it if they did something about the massively swingy battles. i.e. you’d get ambushed, and then all your guys roasted on turn 1 and there’s not much you can do about it. So you’d reload, know that you’re going to get ambushed and so position things differently / buff differently / cast more / fewer spells to tinker with the RNG so that the AI’s turn rolls lots of misses, and now suddenly your guys are able to survive and make it through completely unharmed.

The entire game was like that for me :/

Whilst I enjoy tactical games, I think when you have such swingy-ness it stops being tactical, like it claims, and more like a luck-fest.[/quote]

There’s a fine line between emphasizing player preparedness (and punishing people who don’t) and “you need to know the fights to win them”, and I agree KotC crossed from the former into the latter too often (although I still enjoyed it).

It’s also worth noting that the “token” design is similar to the designs presented in the original 3/3.5e materials (when pictures where used to display things). I’m sure other boardgames have used similar designs. For 3e it was intended to be a cheap way to do grid-based combat without needing to pay for minis. But of course tabletop fans being who they are a lot of people go for minis even though it’s usually more expensive.

I love these guys and I hope they succeed, but this has to be the busiest YouTube video I’ve ever seen!

The combat looks a little better in motion. I’m still intrigued.

Haha yeah, 4-way split screen with a big title covering it all is an… interesting way to go.

Best of luck to 'em though.

If it wasn’t clear from the original release of KOTC then it is now : The developer is possibly blind and/or sees the world in a completely unique way that no-one else does.

Hehe, but now I want him to double down. He should add a scrolling ticker tape of info to the bottom of the video, screen shake when something hits, and periodically flash over to a different screen announcing a key game feature then flash back to the 4 screens in motion. More, more, MMOOAARE!

I am for sure going to kickstarter this Day 1 but that video is impressively busy and mostly incomprehensible.

Are you saying the developer is autistic?

I never played the original, but I was tempted to pick it up countless times over the years. This looks fantastic, but yeah, that trailer is a tough way to sell your game. Here was my response to it on YouTube.

Honestly, if you DO watch it four times, and just focus on one quarter at a time, it looks absolutely awesome (what you can see of it, under the text that blocks stuff). The classes/races look amazing, the effects look fantastic, the layout is like a Gloomhaven type game meets D&D writ large. I love it. I’m going to back this msyelf, I do believe.

It could be a Jeff Goldblum/The Fly situation we have going on here.

Hi all :-)

I’m replying late but hey, better late than never! Thank you everyone for your interest in the Knights of the Chalice cRPG series. :)

Looting is a huge stupid pain in the ass.

That’s very much improved in KotC 2.

I love the AI in the game. The enemy spell casters don’t just nuke, they use their entire spell line. I was just now pinioned between two armies of gnolls in a trap. No problem I thought, I can take down armies of them at this point. That was till I saw the Gnoll Wizards, who started hasting, buffing, and blinding. Not wanting to be sandwiched I laid down a firewall, happily confident it wouldn’t be counterspelled because they where so busy buffing. Felt pretty smug till they dispelled it. So I had to waste another spell on another firewall. Fine, whatever. Instead of entering the burning ground though they sat on the other end and started buffing themselves with resist fire then running across unscathed.

Yes, it’s part of my RPG design philosophy to have efficient AI enemies who can make good use of their spells and special abilities. A lot of the fun of playing RPGs with turn-based combat is to watch the AI :)

I wonder if he played a lot of Catacombs 4 or something? :)

No, I don’t know that game. :D

The developer is possibly blind and/or sees the world in a completely unique way that no-one else does.

I’m not blind, so I suppose I see the world differently. :D

I want him to double down. He should add a scrolling ticker tape of info to the bottom of the video, screen shake when something hits, and periodically flash over to a different screen announcing a key game feature then flash back to the 4 screens in motion. More, more, MMOOAARE!

Ahaha, wait for the six-minute KotC 2 trailer then. I’ll upload it during the Kickstarter period.

I am for sure going to kickstarter this Day 1 but that video is impressively busy and mostly incomprehensible.

It’s because I have a number of KotC 2 videos and I wanted to show footage from several of them. So I thought it would be kinda innovative to have a 4-way split screen. But the message is just that the Kickstarter is coming on 26 May.

Are you saying the developer is autistic?

I think everybody is insane in the eyes of someone. Meaning, you can always find someone who will think that your ideas are crazy, no matter what you think or do.

Honestly, if you DO watch it four times, and just focus on one quarter at a time, it looks absolutely awesome (what you can see of it, under the text that blocks stuff). The classes/races look amazing, the effects look fantastic, the layout is like a Gloomhaven type game meets D&D writ large. I love it. I’m going to back this msyelf, I do believe.

Thank you for your support, I really appreciate it :)

It could be a Jeff Goldblum/The Fly situation we have going on here.

Ahaha! To clarify, I don’t think I’m turning into a fly anytime soon! Could be wrong, though!

For those who haven’t seen the Kickstarter video yet, here it is:

And here are the main features of Knights of the Chalice 2:

• Turn-based, party-based tactical combat similar to that found in the old Dark Sun Shattered Lands game made by SSI and in Troika’s Temple of Elemental Evil.

• User-friendly interface. Launch a charge, full-attack or coup-de-grace with a single click - the computer will automatically look for the best option available. Out of combat, move the party with a single click or by keeping the mouse button pushed. Also see the KotC 1 How to Play webpage for more information.

• A well-developed emergent Artificial Intelligence. Enemies act as a group and support each other. They can use special actions like Grapple, Trip, Ready Versus Spell or Swallow Whole and tactics like taking a Five-Foot step before casting Maximised Fireball. They might use a Wind spell to dissipate the player’s Acid Fog or Incendiary Cloud.

• Omnipresent help files and clear in-game feedback (a feature also found in Temple of Elemental Evil) on the results of each dice roll, saving throw, attack roll, modifiers and so on.

• More than 700 Spells and Psionic Powers. The game also features 22 Classes, 10 Races, 36 Subraces, 478 Feats, 41 Cleric Domains, 71 Weapon enchantments and 51 Armour and Shield enchantments.

• With the right materials and sufficient gold and experience points, craft your own weapons and apply enchantments like Vorpal, Life Stealing, Wounding, Swift, Dispelling or Flaming Burst.

• Multiple-choice dialogue options offering real choices and real in-game consequences to the player. Use your party’s unique skills and consider your own preferences and playing style in order to resolve situations in the most suitable manner.

• Enjoy a variety of engrossing puzzles and riddles. Use your intuition and logical thinking to decrypt mysterious coded messages. The game’s cryptography interface, inspired by Broken Sword Shadow of the Templars, makes decoding a captivating activity. Do not worry about the difficulty of puzzles and riddles though, as the game frequently provides Hints designed to help you resolve this type of challenge.

• KotC 2 Augury of Chaos allows you to create your level-1 characters and take them all the way to level 21 or so. There is no limit on character level.

• Use the powerful integrated toolset to create new modules and campaigns easily. Easily swap monster tokens and sprites or create new ones. Create new monsters, new dialogues and new maps easily. The best modules may also generate an income stream for you.

• Enjoy fast Saved-Game loading and saving and various game options designed to accelerate gameplay. Enjoy various convenience features, such as the Saved-Game preview image display, Tab key press to highlight objects that may be interacted with, or the Inventory Screen highlighting of spell scrolls that may be learnt by a character.

The Kickstarter campaign will start on 26 May at 2 pm Paris time (7 am US Central time).

KotC 2 is an epic computer role-playing game with turn-based combat for Windows and Mac OS inspired by popular D&D RPGs such as Baldur’s Gate 2, Neverwinter Nights 2, Temple of Elemental Evil and Planescape: Torment. Just like KotC 1, KotC 2 is based on the OGL 3.5, the ruleset at the root of Dungeons & Dragons 3.5.

Kickstarter backers will receive the game and its integrated adventure-creation toolset as soon as the campaign ends!

In the first adventure, KotC 2: Augury of Chaos, your Heroic Party confronts a group of Evil Fanatics allied with various Demons and Fiendish Dragons. Blast your enemies with more than 700 spells, bull-rush them into spiked pits, trick them with your superior guile, or crush them with your enchanted greatsword! See them driven before you and hear the lamentations of their women, as your valiant party progresses all the way from level 1 to level 21.

The Kickstarter campaign will support the creation of at least three new KotC 2 adventure modules: The Dark Arena, Forces of Chaos and Heart of Evil. It will also improve the game’s graphics and facilitate the addition of new character classes and many other features.

The Kickstarter link is https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1848628223/knights-of-the-chalice-2-revolutionise-old-school-crpgs.

I hope that you will join the campaign! If you like the project, please share this message with your friends and social networks! Thank you for your interest! :-)

Super duper stoked for it. Good luck!

Heh, I was like, “Why are all the images dead links?” And then I realized it was my first time in an 11-year-old thread. :)

I’m immediately having Pools of Radiance flashbacks. I’ve followed this on Kickstarter as well. I look forward to seeing how this goes.

I’m tempted to try the original, but it’s $20 and I have a pile of games I just picked up that I want to play.

Exciting! Hey, since you’re here, quick question – in the original KotC, is there a way to modify the auto-follow camera during combat so it doesn’t center projectiles in the center of the screen – and then move the screen to keep the projectile in the center of the screen as it flies through the air? That is wildly unconventional and disorienting!

Kickstarter backers will receive the game and its integrated adventure-creation toolset as soon as the campaign ends!

Wooo, I mean I was going to back it anyways but I thought we would still be waiting a year after the Kickstarter.

I just watched his his Kickstarter preview trailer, and you seriously might be onto something. Tell me what you think, and don’t forget to Like and Subscribe:

kotc2

Count on it, I sure will. I cannot actually go back and play the gold box games I have massive nostalgia for . . . I have tried, I just cannot do it. In a very very good way your first game took me back to childhood wonder of D&D somehow as well and in some ways better than the also amazing Baldur’s Gate, Temple of Elemental Evil etc. Absolutely looking forward to KotC 2 :-)

Super duper stoked for it. Good luck!

Thank you very much :)

is there a way to modify the auto-follow camera during combat so it doesn’t center projectiles in the center of the screen – and then move the screen to keep the projectile in the center of the screen as it flies through the air?

Ah, so you would prefer no screen scrolling, and instead have the projectile fly through the screen, and then only centre the screen on the arrow when the arrow is about to leave the edge of the screen? Is that correct?

I just watched his his Kickstarter preview trailer , and you seriously might be onto something. Tell me what you think, and don’t forget to Like and Subscribe

You know what? It’s actually true that I’ve been seeing things differently. I filter out blue light from my screen, to protect my eyes, and only now I’m realising that some images I’ve produced have a little too much purple or blue on them. Something I absolutely couldn’t see when the filter was on. Have to keep in mind to switch off that filter from time to time…

Absolutely looking forward to KotC 2 :-)

Awesome, thank you very much for the encouragement! :-)