Knights of the Chalice (OGL RPG)

Absolutely correct. :)

Yes, that’s right.

Awesome, thank you for your support! Cheers everyone! :-)

KotC2 met its goal this morning. I’m backing at the $25(USD) tier, so I guess I’ll be casting 800 spells in July.

A new 6-minute video with 84.7% less text overlaying the action! There’s also footage of what looks like some character creation, and a demonstration of the huge variety of puzzles in the game.

I personally love the choice to go with hi-res tokens/tiles & status numbers to represent units in the game. It conveys everything I need and looks slick to me in an indie game with a huge variety of units, much slicker than low-res or low-poly unit art that just ends up looking like blobs. I sure wish I had a mod like this in Lords of Magic.

Yeah not bad. The spell effects look a bit out of place. I’d rather see something stylized like the splats. Either way, I’d prefer they scaled to the actual area of effect.

At some point he updated the Kickstarter page to show off what the new sprites will look like (post-Kickstarter) and they look great!

Also, a look a the cool Spell Weaver class:

It’s great that sprites will be an option, even though I think I will be using the tokens because I like them so much.

I actually like them a lot myself, they feel “timeless” in an abstract way I appreciate - also, more like a table top board game, which is cool.

But, I shared because there are a lot of people that didn’t initially back because they “wanted the old sprites” only to find out making sprites was apparently always the plan. Probably why this .gif was right on the front of the campaign now. I don’t remember if anyone here mentioned the sprites being something they missed from the first game, but if this was one of the places I read the sentiment, I thought I’d share!

Kickstarter ends in 7 hours, FYI.

No email yet but you can go onto heroicfantasygames.com and download it from there using the same email as kickstarter according to some on discord. I already had an account from KoTC 1 and can download KoTC 2 just fine.

I loaded a premade party because the choices are absolutely paralyzing. Had my first party wipe less than 10 minutes in. Yep, looking good =)

Interface and everything seems fast, but I would like to know how to scroll besides holding down the right mouse button, which also seems to scroll in a mirror of what I want. Preferably WASD.

I did get this downloaded using the method @Gendal described, and played for just a little bit over lunch. Here is the video I put together, if anyone is interested in a brief look at the options, character creation, and gameplay.

Overall very positive first impression, though I’m still puzzled as to why I couldn’t select the half-giant option to lift that gate - I could the first time I played with a pre-built half-giant in the party, so maybe a bug? Or more likely something I didn’t do correctly. :)

@HeroicFantasyGames.com I hope it’s okay I posted gameplay, if not let me know.

Hello guys! :-)

I’m glad you like the game. You can scroll the view with the arrow keys.

Yup, it’s fine to post gameplay. :-)

I’ll have to investigate to see whether there’s a bug with the gate.

Thank you! Best regards :-)

My game crashed as well on opening the game.

Honestly - it feels really rough, but maybe thats because I didn’t play the first one either. After trying to back out of a menu, mouse presses suddenly didn’t work in menus.

I think I will let this bake a bit more.

I noticed when I tried again it seemed to wants some sort of sub-race of Half-giant, which is probably not a sub-race I was (I think I was just the default race). With a 20 in strength I feel like I should have been strong enough, though. :)

I also had a crash when trying to cast Mage Armor with one of the pre-rolled Wizards. I hadn’t saved so I will set this aside and let it bake a bit - especially since I presume all the Kickstarter extra milestone bonuses will be rolled into it at some point, and I have a lot on my gaming plate. So far it’s just super great, everything I wanted, so I’ll be keeping an eye out for updates and the like.

Is there any reporting feature in the game, or logs that get generated? I would be happy to play some more and if it crashes again send something if that helps?

On gate open I got the message about enemies spawn and then a game over screen.

I also observed the behavior of going to far into the help entries and being unable to get back without hitting escape. Buttons just stopped working and such.

In your video your first customized character was actually a half-giant, and I would guess that the only reason that dialogue/action option appeared to you is because of your half-giant status. It just wasn’t working for some reason.

Nope - I didn’t have a half-giant, and also had the option. It just didn’t work.

I haven’t installed my copy yet. Apparently the initial release has quite a few lock up, response, and crash bugs, so I’m holding off for now. I have a copy of Pathfinder sitting unplayed on GOG right now which I could play if really needed to play a cRPG, but I seem to be on a bit of a board game kick for now. I’ll be watching for patch notes.

Spend hours over the weekend on this . Never got past the big room after the gate, not because of bugs though.

Busy making custom PC tokens( default ones are mostly awful) , then restarting the game with a new party to see how it looks in -game. That’s before I realize you can change the token of a character anytime…

Passed that gate numerous times , but never go beyond that,
There are many options depending on party composition, But you always get the " whole party try to lift gate" option at the top .I think this is the fall-back option that always work., works even with a party of one (18 str though)
This puts you in a disadvantageous in the following encounter…(suprised) I think with the half-giant option you surprised the enemy instead.

Patch 1.02 is out.

Patch Details

List of bug fixes and additions in version 1.02

• Fixed problems with Windows Scaling in full-screen mode. Now you can play with scaling.
  • Fixed a problem when using the left/right arrow keys while looking at the character sheets of characters not in the party during party creation.
  • Tweaked the movement animation so that AI and effects processing takes place after reaching a square (and not one frame before reaching the square, as before).
  • Fixed the [Detect Evil] dialogue option in the sequence after Pizarra is defeated.
  • Fixed the bug that prevented the party from recruiting Pizarra after the fight if any creatures had been summoned during the fight.
  • Added sound effects for Grapple attempt and Pin attempt.
  • Fixed the infinite attacks problem when using the feat Rapid Shot.
  • Fixed problems associated with the psionic power Energy Absorption .
  • If you use the spell Elemental Weapon , the game will now remember your energy-type selection.
  • Fixed a problem with the Wizard Scrolls of Summon Large Elemental , Summon Huge Elemental and Summon Gargantuan Elemental .
  • Removed the penalty from the feat Oversized Two-Weapon Fighting when the character is using only one weapon.
  • Fixed a problem with the feat Psychic Healing.
  • Fixed a problem with the Mysticism Cleric Domain.
  • Changed the shortcut key for Ranged-Weapon Reload.
  • Fixed problems with the Druid spell Shillelagh.
  • Fixed problems with the psionic power Control Body .
  • Fixed problems with Phasing and Greater Phasing weapons.
  • Fixed Krillion’s dialogue and artifact rewards - please be sure to complete Krillion’s quest to see what these artifacts are! :-)
  • Fixed problems with the artifact trident Stormbringer.
  • If you’re grappling a summoned creature and it disappears, you won’t be grappling anymore.
  • Wizards using an item that provides Spell Resistance will receive the benefit.
  • Fixed a problem with the Druid’s feat Wind Mastery.
  • In the battle at the Castle Gates, all enemies will now be surprised if you choose the Surprise option.
  • Fixed the description of the spell Microcosm .
  • Fixed a problem with the Champion’s feat Divine Armour.
  • The spell Arcane Eye now protects against the blinding effect of Sunburst .
  • The effect of Gust of Wind and Knockback arrows now removes the Grappling condition.
  • Fixed a problem with scrolls of Resilient Grease (Psionicist) .
  • Fixed problems in the help entries for psionic powers.
  • Fixed problems with the spells Transformation and Mass Transformation .
  • When you need to select an item in the inventory as part of a quest, you can select items inside bags.
  • The token of the acting character will no longer be drawn below other tokens when moving in combat.
  • Fixed the behaviour of AI enemies when there’s an energy wall or other dangerous squares.
  • Last but not least, I’ve added a bunch of dialogue options in the fight against Pizarra. You can now have Angelic or Druidic allies! To see what they look like, you’ll just have to play the game!! :-)

I tried this out when 1.01 dropped and it was a lot of fun for about an hour but the combat encounters are all incredibly hard, like I couldn’t get through any encounter I had access to/could find (just mere feet from the entrance to the sewer that is the start of the game) without losing someone or even entire party wipes. Enemies while I had just hit level 2 were dropping second level spells, POWERFUL second level spells that hit an area for big acid damage even, which means they were level 3. I turned on “Easy” mode to reduce the enemy health and damage dealt but I still couldn’t do fights where I had a surprise round to my advantage.

I think the encounters were just incredibly over-tuned, like what happened with Pathfinder Kingmaker early on when the team was so good at the game and creating characters they had these OP builds that required such tuning. I just wanted to roll up some characters and have fun, and as of 1.01 at least, that’s not really how the game flows.

I don’t know if 1.02 addresses this, but for now I’m content to give this some more time in the oven, as I believe others have reported this same thing and it has been said that combat encounters are going to be tuned in a future update.