Knights of the Crystallion

This is an old Amiga game I had years ago. It doesn’t seem to be at any of the standard resources (being an obscure Bill Williams game, I guess). Help me, Qt3, you’re my only hope!

Hell, if anyone’s even heard of it, that’ll be progress.

Never heard of it. What type of game was it?

What do you need to know? :) I spoke to Bill about this and his other games at length circa late '97 (not long before his death the follopwing year) and would be happy to pass on any details I can recall.

Peter

I have some vague memories of it, you were head of a family in city which was a gigant animal skeleton, right? I remember trading for goods and getting killed a lot i some sort of caves, looking for crystals, maybe.
Beautiful game, but kinda hard

/M.

Is this the one where the main characters live inside some sort of huge beast?

-Kitsune

The skeleton of one, yes.

What do you need to know? :) I spoke to Bill about this and his other games at length circa late '97 (not long before his death the follopwing year) and would be happy to pass on any details I can recall.

Oh, I remember the game itself: I just needed it in a format that I could play on an emulator — the original disks being pretty useless to me now (and, besides, in a box in another country…) Thank you the filthy pirate who PM’d me a link to the disk images!

I love the game, but none of my friends “got” it. For those interested, the premise was of a tribe that settled amid a leviathan’s skeleton and founded a city in its hollow bones. You play the leader of a prominent clan, and must fulfill your destiny in a quasi-religious rite involving entering the temple-skull of the beast and harnessing the power of fossilized crystals surmized to be remnants of its brain.

There was a strategic over-game where you have to keep the family in business; a pick-out-the-two-identical-cards subgame; a nine man’s morris subgame, and an indescribably weird subgame. Once you’d mastered each, you could go for the brain.

The visuals used hold-and-modify, a typically precocious Amiga-ism that used lossy compression to show thousands of colors at once (in the 1980s!), but somehow managed to do so without wiping out the game’s performance. Combined with the title’s well-considered mystique and backdrop, it was like Dune-meets-Myst with a ginormous city of bone, which is to say, very cool.

Wow, that sounds very cool indeed. It would be great if more current games were that adventurous in their form and content. I love games with component sub-games like Pirates or Covert Action.

We got an updated Pirates!, now please make an updated Covert Action.

Where’d you get Knights of the Crystallion, anyway? I’m not exactly starved
for entertainment (currently neglecting: Lost Planet, Vanguard and my health),
but would love to try it.

It’s at Snesorama.

http://www.snesorama.us/ROMS/?s=Amiga&l=k&start=28

You’ll need an Amiga emulator for your system. These can be a bitch to set up.

Oh, trust me, I know :)
I have a couple of harddrive images set up with DOpus 5.x and some AGA
games, and fiddle with random settings to get older games working.

Cheers!