Knights of the Old Republic and D&D Rules

IE spell effects slowed everything down because it was all just software bitflipping; no hardware acceleration to speak of, I believe.

God only knows why the pathfinding was so bad. I actually stopped playing IWD because I couldn’t stand the torture of walking across the goddamn town.

It doesn’t implement D&D rules at all. Its rules system is a somewhat streamlined version of the Star Wars D20 system though, if that’s what you mean.
[/quote]

I thought that was based on D&D rules. Guess I’m misinformed.

Given that it’s tailored to run well on an Xbox, I figure that as long as your video card can handle DX8-class shaders fairly well (your Ti4600 should do fine), then you’ll be in good shape. It’s meant to fit within 64MB of unified system/video RAM and not overtax a 733MHz CPU. The PC version will obviously have its differences, but one would expect that with your rig it will run just dandy.

Mmm, yeah, but the Xbox architecture is much different than a normal PC. So a 733 mhz CPU on the Xbox is much more powerful than a 733 mhz CPU on a PC.

You sure about that? I’m playing the built in campaign that Bioware made. I’d think they’d be more efficient at coding a problem that seems so identifiable.

Most of my slowdown occurs in the Temple and the Docks region in Chapter 1. Surprisingly, spell effects that I’ve encountered so far haven’t been a big problem. That was always a huge slowdown point for me in the Infinity Engine games. I also experienced slowdown when I was in front of the Seedy Tavern and 4 red costume guys teleported in. I guess slowdown in these areas makes sense, but it just doesn’t seem right to have to put up with this on a machine as fast as mine.

Honestly, pathfinding sucks in all computer games. The best that has been done so far is getting it to an acceptable level of suck. The more people in your party and the more enemies the worse it gets.

Pathfinding is one of those classic computer science problems. Just google for “pathfinding algorithms”.

It doesn’t implement D&D rules at all. Its rules system is a somewhat streamlined version of the Star Wars D20 system though, if that’s what you mean.
[/quote]

I thought that was based on D&D rules. Guess I’m misinformed.
[/quote]

Well, Star Wars D20 is essentially Dungeons & Dragons 3rd Edition rules rewritten for the Star Wars universe. All the game mechanisms are the same, so you’re not altogether off.

Well, 3rd Edition D&D is a “D20 system” game, so it’s very similar. Think of it like this: If it were GURPS, then D&D would be “GURPS fantasy” and KotOR would be “GURPS Star Wars.” So a lot of the system will be similar and familiar, and you’ll have many of the same stats like, and things like feats and skills, but they won’t be the same feats and skills and all the rules won’t be identical. If you understand 3rd edition D&D you’ll feel right at home.

Mmm, yeah, but the Xbox architecture is much different than a normal PC. So a 733 mhz CPU on the Xbox is much more powerful than a 733 mhz CPU on a PC.

I wouldn’t say “much” more powerful. There are certain effeciencies at play with regards to memory access and OS overhead, but it’s not like the Xbox’s 733 is the equivalent of a 2GHz P4 or something.

I would suspect KotOR on the PC to be very much graphics card limited, and that you should be able to run at 1024x768 with full details on (though maybe not anti-aliasing) with your Ti4600 just fine.

Just get the XBox version :). That’s my plan. Also, isn’t KOTOR more of a console style RPG than an infinity engine game? I thought I read that somewhere. It has mini-games and everything. I thought I evern read that it is closer to Final Fantasy than Baldur’s Gate in a lot of ways.

The processor alone wouldn’t be much more powerful, but I think the Xbox as a whole is about the equivalent of a nicely outfitted PC, maybe one in the 2 GHz range. Just look at the quality of the graphics in many Xbox games. Or better yet, wait for Halo or KotOR PC to come out and base your judgement on the stats of a PC that is able to run one of those games at a quality comparable to the Xbox version.

I would suspect KotOR on the PC to be very much graphics card limited, and that you should be able to run at 1024x768 with full details on (though maybe not anti-aliasing) with your Ti4600 just fine.

KotOR strikes me as a CPU limited game, what with all the numbers being crunched to determine the outcome of combat. But I’m not a programmer, so I wouldn’t know.

I would, but I don’t have one :) Besides, the PC version is supposed to include new content. I believe it’s a whole new planet.

I thought I’d just drop this here:

https://xoreos.org/blog/2018/07/03/xoreos-0-dot-0-5-dawn-star-released/

I wonder if, with a new FOSS engine, KoTOR could not be made into a turn-based game?

Yak…did you you just necro…a FIFTEEN year old thread???

You have some Yak-nads, my friend.

Hey, my post is on-topic! It’s about (turn-based) rules!

The next time I see an ancient thread necro’ed I’m gonna call it “YakAttacking” the thread.

Don’t do it, man!

Is there some kind of prize for oldest necro?

Also, I’m holding out till somebody makes a home-port of KOTR to the Atari 2600.

Kinda like the Halo 2600 demaster?

2600_Halo

Why yes, I did actually buy one!

Aspyr is apparently working on a remake of KOTOR.

I hope we get the sequel too!

Man, how about a NEW one. I like it a lot but played it that often already. New stories please.

*Will of course buy and play it again anyway. Sigh.

Because I couldn’t find another thread to put this in. Got two hours, @divedivedive?

https://youtu.be/OI2iOB8ydGo

[clears throat]

I actually noticed that thumbnail on my YouTube page but didn’t pay it any mind because I didn’t really know what it was. I’ll check it out later today.