Knives Out - Agatha Christiesque w/ Daniel Craig, by Rian Johnson

This pretty much nails my reaction. So delightful. I had high expectations, but it managed to exceed them across the board.

Hopefully I’ll have a chance to see it again before it leaves theaters.

You were aware that this was only a two-hour time commitment going in, right? You weren’t going to be forced to sit there all day just to see the end of the movie? I can understand if the movie was completely horrible in all aspects, but it sounds like you enjoyed a lot of it…but somehow the camera work regressed so much in the first thirty minutes that you said, “Oh well, clearly there’s nothing else this movie can do that’s interesting”???

And the film did a lot of things different than other whodunit movies I’ve seen, so I’m surprised that you thought the scenario wasn’t captivating. Or maybe you just left before it got to the interesting parts.

“Yeah, I went to the local art gallery to see Edvard Munch’s ‘The Scream’, but I only looked at the top third of the painting. By then I was like, landscape, sunset…I’ve seen this all before! I can’t imagine this painting will do anything interesting in the lower two-thirds, so I left.”

I can understand not feeling it in the first half hour, though I wouldn’t leave. It takes a while to get going, and I have to say i was wondering if I’d made a mistake until about then. But it definitely turns things around after that.

I’m sure I’ll pick it up again at some point. Usually when critics/audiences agree I also like something. It was surprising that I wanted to leave strongly enough to actually do it.

I loved it. The weird anomaly of a studio movie that doesn’t get made by studios anymore. What an insane cast. Ana de Armas finally gets the chance to carry a movie, and she’s wonderful.

Saw it with the fam this evening and we all enjoyed it. Very entertaining. Was fun to see Chris Evans playing a villian.

I could not figure out the significance of the baseball on Harlan’s desk? Seriously, it was on camera so much [thrown out (not through) a window, into Benoit’s pocket, in the dog’s mouth, etc.) though it did not seem to add to the story one bit. Was it meant to serve as a distraction or did I miss some significant contribution to the plot?

I was wondering the same thing about the object you mentioned. I would assume something to do with “gravity’s rainbow”? It gets thrown early, and then finally ends in the same spot it started? That’s the best I can do.

On my phone but I will try to summarize.

This text will be blurred]Guy that is cheating throws ball, it travels the film to be replaced by the daughter leading her to find the note detailing her husband’s affair.

That makes way more sense

I saw the movie with my wife and as we were leaving the power went off. It would have been terrible if we didn’t get to see The Who done it speech if the power went out just five minutes earlier.

Yes his simple act of defiance led to his undoing. I wondered if it represented a symbol for something else but I am likely over thinking it.

Is cinemas losing power a common occurrence? I don’t think it’s ever happened to me. I’ve had the print go up in flames, but never a power outage.

The AMC theater was actually at the Local Mall. The whole Mall went down. When we were were driving out everything else in the area seemed fine.

I do remember that the film broke once when I was a kid and another time the projector went kablooie but they did get both fixed just had to wait. That was way back when there were only single theaters showing one movie at a time (boy I am getting old).

BTW, Popcorn and a drink was 22 bucks. WOW is all I can say. This was the first movie I went to see since we moved to Florida 2 years ago.

Would someone who thought Rian Johnson ruined Star Wars still like this? LOL

If you like Mysteries I think you will like it. It is a fun movie - my wife thought it dragged a little bit at the end but still liked it. But we are mystery watchers (I did not like the latest Star War Movies either).

I haven’t been wild about any of his films since Brick, and I loved Knives Out.

Cool good to hear!

Agreed! I haven’t seen Brick (need to get around to it) and have not much liked any of his other films, but had a great time w/ Knives Out.

We watched this tonight. It was good. I like how the motives are laid out quickly getting you into the mood of a whodunit. I’m kinda torn on the political talk in the middle - I would rather movies stay away from our current timeline most of the time so they remain timeless. I liked the little easter egg of having Murder She Wrote being on the TV in the background at Marta’s house.

It is kind of a tragic ending in a way, for two people in the film which brings up my only real problem with the film and that is

Why on earth would Fran meet with Ransom by herself? It makes zero sense.

Finally got a chance to see this with the lady-friend, who hates Whodunnits but loves movie theater popcorn and hasn’t had any in awhile (she keeps going to Proper Cinema with friends, and has anxiety about eating in front of others, so she never lets herself have popcorn alongside her High-Fallutin’ Arthouse Flicks).

She still doesn’t like Whodunnits, but she had to give a strong nod to the casting, acting, and direction across the board.

I loved it. I think I was expecting about 10% more camp in the direction of Clue (if not full-bore Murder By Death), but honestly, the judiciously sprinkled humor throughout was extremely well-done.

It does a great job of dropping breadcrumbs and suspicion-raisers without really being terribly on the nose right up until Marta’s final, erm, eruption, hah. I appreciate that in a mystery flick. Ditto for Benoit not being an all-encompassing genius, but rather someone who’s gotta work his process and make a few mistakes along the way.

Easily one of my favorite movies of the year. Nicely done, Johnson & crew!

P.S. The constant shitting on the Nazi kid was pure fucking gold. Give me a full movie of that, please.