Knockout City - Dodgeball

Played my first handful of matches today and this is pretty cool, I dig it. Not a fan of the art style, but solid game.

Played more, still enjoying it. Wishlist:

• Less annoying announcer (I just turned the DJ off).
  • Overwatch style “play of the game” replays would be fun.
  • Seriously, the art needs work. Everyone looks like they hit randomize on the Rock Band character creator.

Basically I just want the extra polish of Overwatch or Fortnite applied to this game.

Goodbye EA, hello F2P.

https://www.ea.com/games/knockout-city/news/knockout-city-season-5-year-2-free-to-play-details

Knockout City is going free-to-play, beginning this spring with Season 6! We’re really excited to bring our game to millions of new players around the world, by removing the price tag entirely.

With that being said, we do want to take a moment to thank our day one fans for purchasing Knockout City and supporting us from the very beginning. Your dedication and loyalty motivates us everyday to continue to build our world, and we couldn’t have gotten this far without you. Our first priority will always be our community, and we’ve built a special Season 6 Loyalty Bundle specifically for those who have already purchased the game before Season 6 launches that’ll include exclusive legendary cosmetics, XP boosts, and 2,000 Holobux.*

The other big change happening over the first few seasons of Year 2 is that we (Velan Studios) are going to be self-publishing Knockout City!

When I saw this thread bump I was certain it was going to be news they were shutting down.

Sounds like it is, just in a slow motion, denial, kind of way.

I’m surprised Rocket Arena (also EA) and Bleeding Edge (Microsoft/Ninja Theory) haven’t come to this fate already. I heard the reviews for this were actually decent compared to Rocket Arena and Bleeding Edge.

this game was a lot of fun and had that ‘easy to learn but plenty to master’ feel to it.

Dumbasses keep launching multiplayer only games that fail

Like that Robin Hood multiplayer only game. Why do they keep doing that?

I have a couple friends who really, really, really enjoyed this game. They will be sad.

It’s nice to see they’ll have a private server thing though.

Wait, so the game just went free to play and now they are shutting it down in 4 months?

It turns out that when games go free-to-play they really want someone to pay.

Yeah, presumably it was a last ditch gamble to see if they could get some revenue in that way, which didn’t work.

Ignore me I am dumb, I misread the last few posts, it went F2P in Feb 2022.

I thought it was a good game, it just didn’t really work as an e-sporty type thing.

I liked that it wasn’t (very) violent, and even if they didn’t entirely nail it, it did have some pretty interesting mechanics.

It’s a shame. Fare thee well, Knockout City.