Kodu

There was some mention of this in the general XBLA thread, but as it’s not actually a game, it seems likely to get buried.

So what is this thing? Is it cool? Is it way too limited to be cool? How does it work, can you make games with it and then throw them up on the community games section of XBLA or otherwise distribute them, or what? Anyone know?

I tried the demo, but thanks to the stupid 8 minute time limit on XNA demos, I was unable to do much more than check out the various menus.

From what I can tell, the only way to distribute or download created games is by sharing with someone while both of you are online & in the game. I was hoping there was a server to browse but no such luck…

Sadly, this is a limitation with XNA in general…

XNA games can only make peer-to-peer network connections, which among other things makes it very hard to write a central high score leaderboard – or as you pointed out, distribute content.

Wait… doesn’t that make it sort of useless, then? Kinda?

Yes, kinda. As I mentioned in the XBLA thread, I think it kinda crushed the spirits of the dev team as well; originally I think they were planning on some kind of community sharing feature.

That aside, Kodu is my new guitar:

Every month or so I will [hear a song/think of something cool] I want to [learn to play/create]. I’ll spend a few nights working on it, and nine times out of ten, I’ll make some interesting progress but [won’t be good enough/will run into limitations I can’t get around] and abandon it till the next inspiration strikes. That one time in ten, it will be pretty sweet, till I get depressed about the fact that it doesn’t matter because it’s not like I’m ever really going to do anything with this. I’ll never [play in a band/make a real video game].

But I’ll be glad I have [the guitar/Kodu] anyway, because even the experiences that end in frustration are kind of cool while I’m busy trying.

Yes, kinda. As I mentioned in the XBLA thread, I think it kinda crushed the spirits of the dev team as well; originally I think they were planning on some kind of community sharing feature.

It’s tragic that it shipped without any real sharing community, but I live in hope that there will be some way to add that in the future. Please don’t destroy my innocent dream that this is in the realm of possibility…

Anyway, just from tooling around with this, it’s pretty ridiculously fun. I am surprised at how flexible and powerful it is.

The game as had been said elsewhere, is LOGO on steroids. Programmable 3d environment, with networking, etc. Pretty fun actually.

I like the guitar analogy, good for fooling around with.