Konami's Secret Game: Yu-Gi-oh! GX Tag Force

Hey Gang,

Any fellow PSPers tried this out yet? Yes, it is yet another Yu-Gi-Oh game but, dang it, its got a very slick presentation, decent AI (better than any other previous CCG game AI I’ve seen, but still no genius), lots of AI folk to duel it out with, and most importantly ALL of the English cards ever released (just short of 2500 different cards).

So why has Konami released it w/o any fanfare and really poor distribution so far?

So why has Konami released it w/o any fanfare and really poor distribution so far?

The PSP’s core audience seems to be older teens and adults. I don’t see many wanting to play a Yu-Gi-oh game.

I love card games and I may be making a mistake, but this one just screams !!!Kiddy game!!! to me. Plus, those cartoons are godawful.

and most importantly ALL of the English cards ever released (just short of 2500 different cards)

I admire their dedication, but that is just insane. How many of those cards have no redeeming value?

<edit> Out of curiosity, I went over to Game Rankings to see if they had any info on the title. Gamespot’s preview is disheartening in one aspect:

Between turns we were treated to more 3D cutscenes that showed our opponent shouting about the cards he was playing. The opponent then took his turn, pausing to shout each time he placed cards and attacked.

That sound incredibly annoying. Does that happen every turn?

“Hey, I feel you pain (said in my best Bill Clinton immitation)”

I think there is a bit more “tie into the cartoon crap” than I’d like but, thankfully, you can turn off all of the cheesey animations in your duel and just play the dang game.

But there really is a pretty deep card game here, while still no Magic: the Gathering, I think its the closest they’ve ever gotten to something that complex on a console game.

Its also come a long way from the early days of whomever forms the first big fusion creature (which, at that time, you had no way of knowing which combined with what) wins with now MANY different types of viable deck strategies (fusions are still in the game, but most of the decks no longer bother with them and if tempted they’re a lot more clearer on how they work now).