Kong: Skull Island

I’d say it’s the best of the current monster bunch (this and the 3 Hollywood godzilla movies).I think it has a classic adventure pulp feel (although the film happens in the 60s , not in the 30s) that is key to the vibe of the movie.

Watched this the other day when I wanted something dumb to watch. It was certainly that. I really didn’t like the laziness of the constant Vietnam War movie references and the boundless stupidity of the protagonists, but the CGI was pretty good I suppose. I did enjoy that one pointless grenade death, about the only time the stupidity paid off narratively.

I found the first of these Hollywood godzilla movies sooooo boring though. At least with the other 3 movies, they always had something that kept me interested throughout. (I’m only 30 minutes into the new one, to the end of the first Kong vs Godzilla fight, but so far, it’s been very engaging).

I was sad to learn at the beginning of Kong vs Godzilla that the entire native tribe from Kong: Skull Island was wiped out by a storm, except for one little girl.