Kosumi - turn-based m/p strategy

Has anyone seen this multi-player shogun strategy thing called Kosumi? I really like long-term PBEM games, and I definitely like games where everything is run via some server which keeps track of everything (like Judge Diplomacy), so this looked like a great idea. But then I got to the end where it says a trial account lasts 14 days, and then you need to subscribe … for $19.99 per month. And games are supposed to take 6 months. So if I want to play this game to completion, I need to pay $120? That sounds completely crazy. It’s more than a WOW subscription. I’ve seen wacky indie-game pricing before (Down in Flames was going to have a monthly fee before they wisely decided against it) but I think this is the wackiest. Would anyone here consider paying that much for a game, knowing that since games take 6 months, you were committed to paying $120 just to see if you won or not?

I love game names taken from Go terminology :)

As for the game itself, well it does let you play 3 games at once per month…umm…not sure if that’s a good deal or not though :)

But no matter how many games you play, you’re essentially committing for six months. It’s that lock-in that bothers me. If you want to charge $20 a month for an online-only strategy game, fine. I can pay my $20, play a bunch of games, and decide each month if I’m going to re-subscribe. But if each commitment is not for $20, but for $120?

Of course, the $20 does seem out of line with the market as well. I play a ton of Ticket to Ride online, and I did indeed pay for online-only access before I got the boardgame myself, but that was $12 for six months.

Maybe the game is so great that I’ll feel that $120 per completion ($40 per, I guess, but I can’t see playing three games at a time) is a bargain.

Where do you get the 6 month quote though? I’m sure it’s possible for players who play the game semi-real time to finish much quicker…although to be honest, I can’t imagine paying $20/month for a PBEM game.

Yeah, the price is insane. A couple of turns a week, so you pay 20 dollars for eight or nine turns.

Still interested in the game. Just not at that price point.

Troy

Sorry, I guess that’s not on the website - I was remembering something from an email.

I’m sure it’s possible for players who play the game semi-real time to finish much quicker…although to be honest, I can’t imagine paying $20/month for a PBEM game.

I wouldn’t rule out paying that much if the game were good enough. I wouldn’t play it in “semi-real time” though - that eliminates all of the advantages of PBEM for me.

We were going to review this, but decided against it. With a near total lack of graphics and sounds, it just didn’t qualify as a computer game. And the pricing for what ultimately amounts to a Web page form is absurd. I suggested to the owner/lead developer that he consider turning it into a card game or something.

I have a reviewer account, so I’ll be checking it out over the next many weeks. Lots of tutorials to go through and many, many orders. I wish it came with a pdf manual I could just go through.

Troy