Kotaku calls out Quarter to Three for aberrant review scores

A more in-depth sort of normalization would be ideal. But that might be too case by case and thus time consuming.

I love you slight fox news but not MSNBC I guess we know where your bias are

Kotaku...a site that reviews gas station hot dogs and posts items about "those wacky Japanese" and cosplay pictures as video games journalism? Yeah, I care about what they have to say about games criticism as I do about Garrison Keillor commenting in the current state of the US Black Metal scene.

One of the things critics of all mediums should learn from our forbearers like the late Roger Ebert is that we have a responsibility to cherish, celebrat, and nurture the medium. Even when that means reacting negatively against an example of it that is regressive, disappointing, or harmful to it.

High five, Chick.

Well said.

I find the best reviews are the opinion pieces. Its why I like my news from The Economist. They will always give their opinion, and clearly stated as such. They do not pretend to be objective because none of us really are. Hurray for Modern/post-modern differences.

I think this is an excellent point: we as a generation need to emphasize the role Criticism with a capital C has in our culture. Integrity, as you say, might be the cornerstone to build up this critical voice.

Gah, thanks! I was racking my brain to place her face w/ a name.

An excellent point. In retrospect, the RT model, like movie criticism, is light years beyond what our generation has implemented for video games.

I assume you have read the comments for a few of Tom's more recent reviews. Just to pick a name out of a hat let's say, oh, Bioshock Infinite. How many people popped up to say they they hated the numeric score, fuck Tom, I'm never coming back, blah blah blah. Why did this happen? It's fun to pop off with a "people are stupid" brushoff, but most people are familiar with a grading system from years of having schools hammer it into you. To think that you're going to swim against the tide and effect some kind of change in grading is some serious hubris. And pointless, since it's the content of the review that carries the message.

Of course you love Metacritic, Tom. It's the only reason this site gets any views. You give popular games low scores so that people will come your poorly-written arguments.

I guess ethnic minorities are aberrant also.

And yes Tom is often divergent (which I think is a better descriptor), but when you consider that the "norm" is based on flawed methodology (see Tom's post above), you might want to select language with less subtext.

So... I'm guessing that he doesn't understand the fact that "aberrant" is a pejorative term and, as such, is normally used in a negative context.... If he had said "outlier" it would have been a little bit more palatable.

Wishing there was a "Double Face Palm" button...

Says the commenter who hyphenated "poorly written"....

Independent development/publishing has heretofore only been proven viable for niche products with limited budgets. Chris Roberts' new project might be heading somewhere bigger, but I will believe its success when I see it. All the other high profile self-publishing projects have tiny budgets compared to AAA titles.

Let me help:
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/...

The thing about implications that make them unreliable to make judgments are that they are subjective. What you might find offensive isn't what I might find offensive. Given CONTEXT, it's clear that Jason mostly agreed with Tom and didn't mean him any harm with his choice of words, so I'm not sure why there's so much criticism.

The thing about implications that make them unreliable to make judgments is that they are subjective. What you might find offensive isn't necessarily what I might find offensive. The only thing we can know for sure is a.) the ACTUAL definition, and b.) the context with which it was stated. Given both the DEFINITION and the CONTEXT, it's clear that Jason mostly agreed with Tom and didn't mean him any harm with his choice of words, so I'm not sure why there's so much criticism.

I won't disagree that there may have been a more accurate word choice, but given the context and the definition, I don't see it as a "wrong" choice either, and definitely don't get all the criticism of that single adjective in an article that contextually respects Tom.

Couldn't agree more Tom. Critics don't owe anything to developers - it's not the critics job to keep the developers and publishers employed.

Maybe you hold blogs to a different standard, but I don't, and why should I? Because it's on the Internet, it's OK to do sloppy work? What kind of attitude is that? It isn't 1996 anymore. This is a mainstream medium and it's time for everyone to put on their big-boy pants and write and report like grown adults.