KOTOR Online?

The major difference between the two is that in the KOTOR setting, everyone can be a Jedi.

That’s a rather inviting worm on the MMO hook.

Yep and therein lies the problem. A jedi is what most will want to play, irregardless of the other classes involved. The uberism of the jedi (or sith) in movie and book lore makes that class awful difficult to balance in a pvp or pve setting without the inevitable QQism.

God forbid if Ed’s HK pulled out a repeater blaster and pwn’ed a jedi. Oh the forum crying about how the jedi didn’t deflect the shots.

The big question is if LA will allow the sith to be playable. I don’t think i can handle 100,000 "Darth TeaBag"s running around ruining my day. And since Bioware, oh sorry EA now, isn’t going to use the the Star Wars d20 rules will they be able to use the classes (Guardian, Consular etc.) contained in the KOTOR game rule set?

KOTOR had 6 different jedi classes and it would be easy to invent more.

Gordon’s involvement in Ultima IX makes me hate him without knowing anything about what he did or why he was also hired to lead a team from the previous failed Star Wars MMO.

Well, I believe that Star Wars RPG has had a revision since KOTOR1/2 were released as well that have introduced some concepts for testing prior to being used in D&D 4E. I’m not sure how this would effect a KOTOR MMO (ie are they still going to use d20), or whether they would bother moving over at all to the new SW RPG rules.

In any case, I agree that you could invent tons of Jedi/Sith classes and prestige classes. Also, you could invent lots of base classes and prestige classes to make non-Jedi more attractive, and races could all have their own feats and special abilities. In KOTOR you were restricted to being a human, which kinda sucks for a universe with so much diversity. Also, in KOTOR the Jedi Council was all humans except for a single Yoda-like Master (racism!!). In the SW Episode I-II movies we can see that there are far more diverse Jedi Councils in the future of the SW universe, though.

I would really love to have some kind of fucking resolution as to where Revan and the Exile went and what the “lurking evil” outside of known space is. I really hope it isn’t something lame like what was introduced in the Expanded Universe content (such as books) where they invented SW’s equivalent of the Dominion from ST DS9.

This is great. BioWare does a good job, and more importantly, even if they screw up, at least the Star Wars backstories won’t all be ruined because they decided to take some liberties (since this is set in such a long time ago, they actually can take lots of liberties).

I’d really much rather Bioware do an original IP MMO and do any further KOTOR work as singleplayer games. Muuuuuuuch rather.

Of course ultimately I’d rather they not do an MMO at all and focus on making crazy cool single player games like they do so well, because they’re one of a tiny handful of companies that still bother. But that boat kinda sailed.

Prediction: The Star Wars MMO will completely fail to get the dreamed of million subscribers.

If they do WoW in space, they’ll be out-WoWed by WoW itself. Most of their target audience will complain about womp rat tail collection quests. They do somewhere between D&DO and LOTRO numbers, depending on how well they execute.

If they do something different (hah!), the same thing happens, but people blame it on them not cloning WoW.

That’s the real problem. The game will either be too “star-warsy” and fail to appeal to a mass market audience, or not be “star-warsy” enough and get the same criticsim that SWG did. Maybe that’s the problem with MMOs based on movies. Everybody wants to be the protagonist or antagonist hero but it’s very hard to make a challenging and entertaining game when everybody wants to be either Luke or Vader.

I can just imagine the posts now… “I died, this game suxorz!! Errbody knows J3di cant die!11”

I wonder how people would react if they were up front that you were playing in the KOTOR universe, buy you couldn’t be a Jedi? I still think it would be a cool game. You could interact with Jedi as part of missions/quests.

I think it could work and work well. People that would be mad are probably the ones you wouldn’t want to play with anyway.

Maybe so, Sarkus, but developers still want their money.

Man, I loved SWG when it was first released. Wow, it’s Star Wars…without Jedi (practically). Oh, and the ability to actually have a, you know, war in the stars. But if you catass well enough, you can be a…Stormtrooper :(

PvP perhaps, but PvE is fine. Mobs are mobs, you can make any old kind of mob for Jedis to fight.

Disruptor rifle FTW!

This is why MMos in general aren’t for you most likely (nor for me). Either way, it’d be insane not to include Sith.

Hmm, good question. I’d like to know the answer to it myself.

1. Have an aggressive name policy enforcement.

2. I’m guessing they’ll be using the new SWRPG Saga rules (pre-D&D 4.0 D20).

Man, I loved SWG when it was first released.

So did I. /sadface

I recently reinstalled it because they gave me a 15 day trial and I was really depressed.

I mean what the shit they had Storm Troopers walking around an area plastered with rebel flags. What the shit is that?

http://www.bioware.com/bioware_info/press_releases/2007_10_30_bioware_lucasarts/

As close to official confirmation as we can get?

Could be Grim Fandango Online?

WTF kind of non-announcement is this shit? And the URL they registered just for the purpose of disseminating the same exact PR blurb? Uhhh…

This better not be THX-1138 Online.

You fools, it’s Monkey Island Online.

No, no, it’s LucasArt’s new venture, Dr. Tran Online. A point-and-dick adventure.

How appropriate, you fight like a cow.

Full Throttle Online? Rescue on Fractalus Online?