KOTOR: PC in an X-Box

Random rant time. Got home today with a copy of KOTOR - at long last. “Finally!” I thought, “An excuse to turn on the X-Box again.” And yet, what happens? I’m getting Crash to Desktop errors on a frigging console - not, thankfully, that often - only if I try to load an Autosave after snuffing it (while resetting the console and then trying works fine) and a couple straight back to the flashy Green spheres on level transitions. Ngggggggggh! At least the game’s really good, saving me from smashing the entire machine with a ten-pound lumphammer, and there’s always the Mona Sax inspired comedy value of Bastila “Shock, It’s Jennifer Hale* Again” Shar delivering gravitas filled debriefs to the Jedi Council in her knickers. Too bad none of them took a moment to make a slight dig. “Ah…Forgotten something have you…” maybe.

stalks back over to console, grumbling

[size=2](* Not that I have a problem with Hale - even if she does generally play horrible characters**, just that whenever she’s involved, Cam “I’m Cam Clarke!” Clarke isn’t far behind, and his voice sends waves of silver pain down my spine)

(** Bloody Elena. Bloody EE**)

(*** But not however, Fall From Grace, who was splendid****)

(**** My, what a lot of brackets)[/size]

Really? Can you post a photo of what your Xbox’s desktop looks like? ;)

I know what you mean though…your Xbox is resetting on some level transisitons and you’re have save problems. You’re not alone. It’s limited in scope, but quite a few people have had those problems with KOTOR. It’s got a few other bugs, too.

Microsoft QA really dropped the ball bad on that game.

There are two different schools of thought on Jennifer Hale in KOTOR. One guy I know, a sound editor by trade, really likes her and thinks the performance was excellent. Another friend, a Brit, thinks her accent sucked rocks and that she is, in his words “such a cow” :).

I myself liked it the first time I played but on subsequent play got really sick of her.

The very best voice acting in the game is HK-47 IMO, followed closely by Canderous Ordo. HK combines such maniacal glee with matter of factness, it made me laugh over and over. Canderous is just well done. Also I enjoyed the scenery chewing over-the-topness of the guy playing Malik.

Man, I loved that game. Played it 3 times :). Both Dark and Light, combat and force oriented. I’ll play it again when it hits PC!

Dan

Really? Can you post a photo of what your Xbox’s desktop looks like? ;)

It’s made of pine and littered with scattered bits of circuitry. I have precisely zero tolerance for bugs on consoles :wink:

There are two different schools of thought on Jennifer Hale in KOTOR. One guy I know, a sound editor by trade, really likes her and thinks the performance was excellent. Another friend, a Brit, thinks her accent sucked rocks and that she is, in his words “such a cow”

Heh. Well, I’ve never met her, so I refrain from judgement on the latter part - but she’s definitely one of those VAs whose voice immediately flashes up a mental namecard (the aforementioned Cam Clarke with his one, irritating as all holy hell accent is another, Amanda Winn-Lee is another, although she doesn’t bug me). Her Bastila is a serious scenery-chewer, but it fits her character pretty well.

I myself liked it the first time I played but on subsequent play got really sick of her.

I’m currently getting by on her flaws - such as petulently flawing Mission with Force Push - and the fact that I always have a smartarse response on hand that gets her really, really annoyed. Even so, as soon as they brought in that mystic link thing, I groaned a loud “Oh god, I’m stuck with her for the next twenty hours.” At a guess. I’m only up to Tatooine so far.

The very best voice acting in the game is HK-47 IMO, followed closely by Canderous Ordo. HK combines such maniacal glee with matter of factness, it made me laugh over and over.

I’ve only just met him, but I’ve put galaxy saving on hold for a moment to raise the necessary cash. The jumps from “Statement: Hello, honoured user!” to “That Ithorian fool…” caught my attention immediately. Canderous hasn’t really done anything of interest in my game so far, although I seem to have spent hours having blazing rows with Carth. Curious to see if that always happens, because I’ve been picking the smartarse answers in just about every conversation. Some of the stuff between Mission and Zaalbar has been great though - especially the comb put down. It’s a really enjoyable game - when it freaking works! ;-)

I thought Bastila was voiced fine. I agree that Canderous was the best though, followed by Carth.

olaf

Yeah. Every time I hear Cam Clarke, I think “Oh no! It’s Leonardo!” He’ll always be Leonardo in my head. Which made his performance as Liquid Snake so fucking horrible. I burst out laughing the first time I heard his voice. “Leonardo’s coming to get me! He’s gonna take over the world!”

Yeah. Whatever he plays, he always sounds like he needs to cap every line off with “Dude”, be it Liquid, Ryodo, that guy from Shenmue…

“Cowabunga, Snake! I’m coming to get you, dude! SPLINTEEEEERRRRR!”

Statement: KOTOR crashed a lot on my Xbox.

Exclamation: But HK kicked ass!

I suppose I’m one of the blessed people who had absolutely no problems with KOTOR whatsoever. Not a lock up, not a crash, nothing.

And that’s over 60 hours of gameplay (two characters).

If we’re just keeping score somewhere, I had no technical problems at all either.

No probs here with the game either, and I’ve played it twice. Is there an “official” explanation for those who are encountering crashes?

I read somewhere that the problems were mainly linked to earlier versions of the XBox chipset. Or something. Seems to miss the point of the ‘one-size-fits-all’ console philosophy. I’ve never had any problems either, though.

Come now, I have no idea who Jennifer Hale is (though I know her voice from something else) or what she looks like, but I loved Bastila and would have married if it all possible and I could have convinced my wife. Ya know, little things…

That being the good voice of KOTOR, I couldn’t stand Carth’s voice nor looks at all. He was supposed to be a grizzled war veteran, but looked and sounded like a guy “fresh out of the academy”. It was not happy thing and I was pretty happy to trade him out for Jolee (who an interesting/F$cked up old man).

Jolee’s crazy; his camp value is through the roof. How you can not love a half-senile, grouchy old Jedi and his lame war stories?

HK-47’s king, though. His whole barely-restrained sense of good-natured malevolence and sly sociopathy was priceless – his leaps from fake conciliatory smugness to deranged homicidal ranting are some of the funniest stuff I’ve read in an RPG. I never thought Charles Manson would be funny until they stuck his personality in a campy red-tinted metal outfit and attached him to a Jedi. Truly the antidote to C3PO’s effeminate butler, on all levels. That said, the fact that he’s an “evil” protocol droid should’ve enabled some more interesting dialogue trees; I never really trusted his “translations”, and it woulda been great if Bioware’s writers had run with that angle.

“What did that sand person say, HK-47?”
“Surprise: he honestly thinks that you are hung like a jawa, master.”
“HK-47, seriously?”
“Statement: I rarely lie for personal gain, master. Blasters warming up!”

I’ve had my Xbox from day one. If there’s an earlier chipset, I’d be surprised.

Of course to be fair, I’ve had no KOTOR problems at all but I have had one previous “corruption” of my Xbox. A 007 save file (can’t even remember which Bond game it was, one of my brother’s friends brought it over one night and that’s all it took) left my Xbox unable to play Tony Hawk 3. No idea why, it would boot up and all I’d get is audio. Tech support left me reformatting my Xbox hard drive and that solved it.

Actually, I’ll bet that’s where some people’s problems are coming from, some kind of conflict with other data on the HD. Either KOTOR or some other game probably didn’t quite play by the rules with their save files. That’d be my guess over something to do with chipsets, although that’s entirely possible as well.

Crash to Desktop errors on a frigging console

Tech support left me reformatting my Xbox hard drive and that solved it.

WWWOOOSSSHHH!!! That’s the sound of a fly-by. I’m really not being sarcastic here, just curious. What the heck is a crash to desktop? And how does one reformat an XBox drive?

Well the “crash to desktop” I can’t speak to as I’ve not had it happen. The Xbox has a hard disk though where it stores saved games, music you rip, and whatever other dark and mysterious bits and bytes it needs to keep track of. The tech support answer was that I wipe clean my Xbox hard disk to the state it was in when I first turned on my Xbox the day I bought it. There’s no option to do it from the menus on the Xbox, it’s a “code”. I had to go to the Xbox info screen in the Xbox menu and hit a sequence of buttons on the controller (which I can’t remember now) and then I was prompted with an “Are you sure you want to do this?” menu. The Xbox was then returned to it’s factory state. I imagine this involves a protected portion of the hard drive telling the rest of the hard drive to get itself in line. The end result was that all saved games stored on the Xbox hard drive were erased, as well as all music I had ripped to my Xbox. I was able to backup my saved games to a memory card before thie procedure, but the music I had to rip again afterwards.

It’s when the console resets itself spontaneously. Or "It’s made of pine and littered with scattered bits of circuitry. I have precisely zero tolerance for bugs on consoles "

And how does one reformat an XBox drive?

REALLY BIG ELECTROMAGNET!

Come now, I have no idea who Jennifer Hale is (though I know her voice from something else)

Yeah - more or less everything else. There’s a cabal of about ten people who voice just about every single game in the universe. Anyone else you hear is faking it.

That being the good voice of KOTOR, I couldn’t stand Carth’s voice nor looks at all.

I’m still trying to work out why he’s still on this mission. Sure, he was useful for Taris, but I have about seventeen Jedi now bunked up on the Ebon Hawk, not to mention kids, animals, bizarre cat people and a psychotic robot. I don’t really need a guy whose shooting record would embarass a Stormtrooper and starts leaping into paranoid rants every few seconds. I could use him as a hat rack, but I have no hat.

I had to go to the Xbox info screen in the Xbox menu and hit a sequence of buttons on the controller (which I can’t remember now) and then I was prompted with an “Are you sure you want to do this?” menu. The Xbox was then returned to it’s factory state.

Dammit, remember them! Seriously, thanks for 'splaining that.

REALLY BIG ELECTROMAGNET!

Shaking my head wondering where you assholes come from, go away please!