Krypton - Superman's grandfather on SyFy

David S. Goyer teaming up with SyFy to tell us all those great stories of Jor-El’s father in Krypton’s heyday like that time he voted on tax regulations, or that proud day when he filibustered for a farm bill.

From Warner Horizon Television and DC Comics, Krypton takes place years before the Superman legend we know, when the House of El was shamed and ostracized. This drama, which is in development, follows the Man of Steel’s grandfather as he brings hope and equality to Krypton, turning a planet in disarray into one worthy of giving birth to the greatest Super Hero ever known.

“I don’t know about this…” downgraded to “ugh, never watching that” based on Goyer’s involvement.

I was afraid of this. Gotham is a success, so we’re going to get crap like this. Wonder Woman when she was in the All Amazon Academy! The history of Aquaman’s favorite dolphin pod before the sinking of Atlantis! Green Lantern’s pre-ring life as a struggling cartoonist living in a one-bedroom apartment before getting a job with the local paper!

Dollars to Drake’s cakes they work in some Kryptonian connection to the Luthors.

Hah, I almost posted the same thing.

Actually, I bet you could write a half-decent story based on present-day Lex Luthor, looking to once and for all rid the world of Superman, cooking up a scheme to travel back in time and destroy Krypton, unwittingly becoming the impetus for Kal-El being sent to Earth in the first place. I’m sure that’s at odds with some existing canon—I think Lex probably knows it was Krypton’s destruction that sent Kal here, and Lex as a totally genocidal maniac doesn’t mesh that well with existing characterization (or maybe this whole idea has actually already been done), but as an Elseworlds story, or say, a TV show, that could work.

As a pitch for an ongoing TV series though, not a chance. It would just make a fun miniseries, playing with the reveal of it being Luthor in the first place, and then watching him unknowingly start what he thought he was stopping.

This could be the straw that breaks the camel’s back.

I love how this never gets less relevant.

He’s just this little kid and he’s very sad.

Moving forward at Syfy.

Some schlep in Hollywood had the thought "I know, lets not do a Superman origin story, lets do an origin of the origin of the origin of Superman story! At least, from the description that Telefrog

turning a planet in disarray into one worthy of giving birth to the greatest Super Hero ever known
posted we may finally find out how a planet gave birth to Superman.

I’m hoping for a series heavily grounded in Golden Age SF with a healthy, yet respectful sheen of camp. I want to see megalomaniacal tyrants to order their guards to SEIZE THEM YOU FOOLS and for eccentric inventors to rail against the short-sighted fools on the Science Council that fail to respect their genius.

Basically people need to refer to other people as fools.

Pretty much my exact reaction. C’mon SyFy, I’d love it if you were better than this.

Then someone should remake Flash Gordon.

Yeah, that’s exactly the best case scenario with this Krypton show, with possibly a crossover from Starman and Adam Strange. Flash Gordon with a bunch of cosmic DC stuff.

Unfortunately, it looks like its going to be Dallas or Knots Landing in space.

Uh…

[quote]
Years before the Superman legend we know, the House of El was shamed and ostracized. This series follows The Man of Steel’s grandfather as he brings hope and equality to Krypton, turning a planet in disarray into one worthy of giving birth to the greatest Super Hero ever known.[/quote]

So 90210 in Space.

That looks so lame.

I couldn’t make it through the first episode, it was so bad. I was shocked it got picked up for a 2nd season last year.

It started to get better about halfway through the season, and there were several high points in the second season, but yeah, not surprised it was cancelled.