Laptop Battery Life

I need to get a second battery for my wife’s Dell Latitude x300 laptop. I’m looking at this “extended life battery” in the hopes that it will allow her to work through an entire cross-country flight for once.

I’ve found the battery on eBay for a reasonable price [$50]. The problem I’m having is I cannot figure out what the actual per charge capacity of the battery is. The terms “71 WHr” and “4400mAh” mean nothing to me. When I emailed the nice folk selling the battery on eBay and asked them for a general guess as to how long the battery might last per charge, this is the response I got:

Can anybody here point me in the right direction for figuring out the actual number of hours I can expect this battery to last? Or is this just impossible to ascertain? Can the email answer–2hrs???–actually be correct for an extended life battery? Should I just give up and order Scallops Three Ways Up To Your Taste?

Arg.

Thanks.

“I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.”

-Amanpour

According to this PC Mag review…

… the “official” extended battery lasts almost 6 hours. YMMV if you buy off ebay. Maybe it is a actually a different battery, or refurbed or whatever.

Thanks Coke-0. I swear I searched for that type of stuff first. Didn’t find this article though.

The eBay battery I’m looking at claims it’s “brand new” and it comes with a one year warranty.

Again, thanks.

-Amanpour

Jeeze, Amanpour, what part of “the capacity put up the battery last working time, the high capacity battery last working longer than lower capacity. the battery can last working near 2hours after full charged” do you not understand?

-Tom

P.S. “The first person to come through that door gets a lead salad!”

Well, Christine, the answer is simple.

Assuming you’re looking at a modern Lithium Ion (Li-ion) battery, they age.

Just like humans, Li-ion batteries start dying the day they are born. As they die they lose battery life.

I’m guessing that the eBay folks are selling either used or aged new batteries. You cannot expect anywhere near their “fresh” expected life in that case.

Originally Posted by Battery People
Hi,

Thanks for your inquiry.
The capacity put up the battery last working time, the high capacity battery last working longer than lower capacity. the battery can last working near 2hours after full charged.

Best regards
rudy
Welcome to visit our store at any moment

Sounds like a Chinese knockoff battery company. Be careful, or you may end up with an EXPLODING! laptop.