Laptop Purchase - Talke me into (or out of) it!

(sorry bout the subject title typo)

Here are the details:

Inspiron E1705 Qty 1
Intel® Core 2 Duo T7200 (2.00GHz, 4MB L2 Cache, 667 MHz FSB), Genuine Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005

50% faster and 25% more range when used with 802.11n routers!
Limted Time Offer!

FREE Vista Upgrade plus $10 shipping & handling payable at time of redemption
Limited Time Offer!

Free Shipping & Handling

Dell Home Customers: Save 25% off this Dell Inspiron!
Limited Time Offer!
- $579.62

Inspiron E1705 Intel® Core 2 Duo T7200 (2.00GHz, 4MB L2 Cache, 667 MHz FSB)

Operating System Genuine Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005

LCD Panel 17 inch Wide Screen XGA+ Display

Memory 2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz

Video Card 256MB NVIDIA GeForce Go 7900 GS

Hard Drive 100GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive

Network Card Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem

Adobe Software Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 7.0

Combo or DVD+RW Drive 8x CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability

Sound Options Integrated Sound Blaster Audigy HD Software Edition

Wireless Networking Cards Hi-Speed: Dell Draft N Wireless

Office Software (not included in Windows XP) No productivity suite- Includes Microsoft Works 8. DOES NOT INCLUDE MS WORD

Anti-Virus/Security Suite (Pre-installed) No Security Subscription

Primary Battery 80 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery

Warranty and Service 3Yr Ltd Warranty and At-Home Service

Internet Access Service 6 Months of EarthLink Internet Access

Bluetooth Options Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth Internal (2.0 + Enhanced Data Rate)

[b]Upgrade to Windows Vista Express Upgrade to Windows Vista Home Premium from XP Media Center Edition

Dell Digital Entertainment Trial pack- Basic and trial products from Corel and Yahoo

Processor Branding Intel Core 2 Duo Processor

TOTAL:$1,711.38

I think the price would be hard to beat even if I wait a little but I wanted to see what you guys think. The 25% off is until tomorrow.

And you’re waiting why?

To talk you in or out of this: What are you going to be using this thing for?

If you wait some months you´re going to be able to pack a 8800something mobile card for the same money?

Is that a good deal on a good laptop? I think so.

Should you buy it? Hell if I know. What do you want it for?

Well my house is too small for a desktop and I personally like having a semi-mobile laptop to use. My old laptop has a big fat LCD damaged vertical bar going down the left side of the screen (far enough that I can still use it but not far enough on the edge that it’s not very annoying). I was planning on waiting until January when prices will come down but this deal looks like it’ll be good even by January standards.

No hardware deal ever can hold its own for 2 months.

There are also several different Dell Displays out there. Is the glossy one included?

True but it will give me a couple months of playtime.

So how fast are these Core 2 Duos?

• Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 (2.00GHz, 4MB L2 Cache, 667 MHz FSB)
  • Intel Core 2 Duo T7400 (2.16GHz, 4MB L2 Cache, 667 MHz FSB) [add $131 or $4/month1]

I’m going with the 2.0GHz because I don’t think .16GHz is worth the extra $131.

There are also several different Dell Displays out there. Is the glossy one included?

*17 inch Wide Screen XGA+ Display [Included in Price]
*17 inch UltraSharp Wide Screen UXGA Display with TrueLife [add $111 or $4/month1]

I’m going for the standard one is the UltraSharp worth the $111?

I think it’s going to take more then some months before we see an 8800 mobile card (that won’t rape you anyways).

I got 2 friends with Dell Laptops, one with the standard and one with the UltraSharp and its better for sure. Better contrast, better colours. If I would put out 1700something dough, I would get the better display, in the end, thats whatcha be staring at for some time!

Quite simply: Why do you want a laptop?

If you want a desktop replacement for on the go, you’re set.

If you want a desktop replacement for home, get a desktop instead.

If you want something that’s portable and can be used whlie you’re in the airport, in the back of somebody’s car, on a plane, etc, that 17" monstrosity is going to weigh you down like a ton of bricks. Go smaller and lighter. If you’re actually using it to work you neither want (nor really need) a 17" monitor and a GeForce 7900 GS.

Allright I’ll take your word for it. Done and done.

Don’t get a Draft-N wifi card. Draft-N sucks ass. Hopefully, the full-blown 802.11N products, whenever they are actually brought to market, will be a big improvement, but you only have to read reviews of pretty much any Draft-N wifi card or router to steer clear.

Stick to 802.11g for now, or some sort of a/b/g combo card.

Ugh… well they didn’t give me a choice unfortunately.

The more expensive display has a better resolution, if what you wrote is correct: WXGA+ is 1440x900, WUXGA is 1920x1200.

Don’t get the Audigy, it’s a software only solution.

If I were buying it, I’d strip it down some more, 1 year warranty, 1 gig, smaller HD, etc, but if you really want those things the priceis ok.

Crap you’re right about the Audigy I didn’t even realize it was software only. It was only $18 extra so I don’t mind if it’s fluff. I would mind if it eats up too much clock speed though.

The other things you mention are the lowest they are offering except for the HDD which would have been a savings of $38 bringing me down to a 80Gig 7200 RPM HDD. I figure I could use the extra gigs.

I’m using the same machine except I have 1.83GHz and 1G RAM. I love it. Great machine.

One thing - the 17" screen, while beautiful is BIG so it’s not really ideal if you’re going to be lugging it around a lot.

I’m using a 17" screen right now so I’m used to it.

Ok I got it yesterday and boy was I wrong. My previous laptop was definitely NOT 17". Holy crap this is huge! I’m going to need a bigger briefcase. Took me the whole day to uninstall all the crap that came with it and update it with all the latest windows fixes. Now I’m looking into OCing the graphics chip. There’s some interesting bios flashes that bring it up to 9700GSX levels.

Congrats on your purchase, but am I the only one that would prefer less resolution in a bigger screen? I have a Sager with a 17" screen, with a 1680x1050 resolution, and while it looks beautiful, many times the text is just too small to read comfortably. I much prefer working on my desktop which has a larger 19" screen, and less resolution, 1280x1024. It’s true that I am older, and vision is probably not what it once was, but still…