Laptop recommendation?

Just FYI an update, this was published last week:

The laptops they list seem kind of underpowered though, especially when compared to Nesrie’s suggestions.

Kind of a stupid newb question, but is it easy to attach a standard monitor and KBM to a laptop? Do I need to keep the laptop open versus closed? Are there docks or racks that can work with most brands? Thanks.

Depends what you mean by “standard” monitor—DSUB VGA, HDMI or DisplayPort or their mini equivalents.

It all about your inputs. Good docks are not cheap but they are not always necessary. I have my work computer attached to a monitor and I use the laptop screen and the larger monitor in a dual screen set-up, but I could close the lid and just use the one larger monitor. Keyboard and mouse is easy, and how you connect to the monitor is going to be dependent on the laptops outputs and the monitors inputs. In most cases you can by cords that will shift one type of a connection to another if you need to too.

Video: HDMI
Keyboard: USB type A
Mouse: Logitech USB type A Unifying Receiver

I will likely need to plug in additional USB devices like flash drives and so forth.

Keyboard and Mouse shouldn’t be an issue. They’re probably going to have a least two USB ports. If the monitor is HDMI, I think many of the newer not slim laptops have that, but if they don’t there are like 12 dollar cords you can usually pick up to fix the issue. Most the new ones should have usb 3.0 too and probably.

Docks can be spendy but largely not needed unless you have a specific set-up in mind that calls for one like… wanting to do maybe 3 monitors, and if you need more USB ports those little hubs are heck cheap too.

Docks are very convenient, and if your new laptop charges via USB-C you can experience one cable nirvana. Wirecutter recommends this Dell USB-C dock.

If you have a 15" laptop buy the 180w version, it’s a bit more expensive.

If you want to cheap out, this hub offers a lot of the same functionality including charging, but a no-name Amazon manufacturer so YMMV. It does support displayport alternate mode so it may work, that’s really important.

The budget for the computer was under 500 dollars. I figured another 100 to 200 wouldn’t make much sense with a restrained budget and… with modern laptops, it’s very likely not necessary.

I can’t afford it right now, I may buy one later however.

Yes! This would be awesome!

Can I share a monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc. with my desktop PC sort of like a KVM switch?

…you would need a KVM switch for that. Unless you mean unplugging and replugging the dongle constantly between the 2 PCs.

There seems to be very much variation in price among KVM switches on Amazon. Some are ~$20-ish, while others cost hundreds of dollars. Yet the customer ratings for the cheap ones are still very good. Not sure what to shop for. My monitor right now is only 1920x1200.

Unless you have the multi flow Logitech keyboard and mouse:

Yeah, just get a KVM for that.

Thanks guys!

I ended up getting this thing:

It’s basically the same as what Nesrie linked to earlier, except that instead of an i5 it has an i3. And the i3 is… anemic. I’m not really happy about it. Meh.

Yeah, it’s only 2 cores. I wouldn’t buy a dual core laptop as a primary device.

I wonder what the return policy is on this thing? I already have set up user accounts, installed software, etc.

I think they have a restocking fee for computers that actually boot. Oddly enough, i have never actually purchased a computer via Amazon.

Plus the shipping on top of that I’m guessing.