Largest college admissions cheating bust

I’m looking forward to the coming months as more people are identified in this. In one of the excerpts above, I think I read this has been going on for 25 years. Can you imagine the list of people on this?

It does cement the view of rich vs poor even more. Coming right on the heels of Manafort’s 4 year light prison sentence for tax fraud of millions and now we see how the rich manipulate education, it’s going to piss off a lot of people. Imagine how many people were rejected in the past 25 years at those colleges. That’s going to add up.

The ultra rich are just in a completely different world where they can drop a cool half-mil on getting their kid into college, never mind paying for it. I’m sure that will go over well with all the student debt in this country.

Verily, shitz fukt!

In a letter sent to The Hollywood Reporter , Mamet wrote, “I worked for very many years in and around our Elite Universities. I am able to report that their admissions policies are an unfortunate and corrupt joke.” He then called out the legal yet shady practice of purchasing admission into a school by giving money to a college for construction projects (you can never have too many fountains!) before making his direct defense of Macy and Huffman.

" I’m crazy about them both.

"That a parent’s zeal for her children’s future may have overcome her better judgment for a moment is not only unfortunate, it is, I know we parents would agree, a universal phenomenon.

"If ever there were a use for the Texas Verdict, this is it. For the uninitiated, the Texas Verdict is: ‘Not Guilty, but Don’t do it Again.’”

Texas has a lot of people in prison and they execute a fair amount too. I’m thinking this is not “verdict” given to everyone, not even most.

That’s the second posting of defense of the parents actions I’ve read in the last 24 hours. The first was on Reddit. Yeah, no. I smell some money now fueling a PR “softening” campaign for rich parents.

Convict all of them. I don’t give a shit if you have obnoxiously rich friends that think they can bribe the system for their benefit. They are guilty of a crime, David, and should get convicted.

No, see, the rich people deserve those slots, because they’re rich. We can’t let ourselves be distracted from the real villains in college admissions: minorities and affirmative action. They’re the ones taking your spot.

I’m excited for where this new line of defense can take us as a people.

“Your Honor, my client may have gunned down three people while robbing that bank, but he was only trying to secure financial security for his children, and that zeal may have momentarily overcome his better judgment. It’s unfortunate, but being a parent yourself, I know you’ll agree it is a universal phenomenon.”

So much meritocracy so much equal opportunity.

I’ve been told the conservatives are spinning this as liberal sins. I haven’t looked myself.

edit: As expected… Fox blaming liberal elites. Spoilered for your blood pressure.

Please let them do that from the loudest speaker they can. All the better to run through a bipartisan law change against those who partake of this crime, before the Republicans figure out it affects mostly their constituents.

Is it wrong to steal a loaf of bread to feed your starving family? What if you have a very large family? What if they do not like bread? /s(impsons)

Well, I mean, nobody was bribing admissions officers at Trump U, now were they? Check and Mate.

Even better! An Obummer connection!

Yet they put that picture of Michelle playing tennis for the TLDR crowd.

Man, Kushner must have been extra dumb, his father had to pay 2.5 million.

edit: Question, I wonder what the schools will do with the kids? Just ignore this and let the kids stay? The faster the scandal dies the better for them.

Good question. If they knowingly cheated to get in, that’s an honor code violation with pretty much every school out there. If it was their parents and admissions people colluding, seems like a different call should be made.

Its been going on for years. Most of the kids are long gone by now.

Yeah - wasn’t talking about alumni, just current students. No chance they’ll mess with graduates.

It’s the perfect story for them… hollywood celebs and colleges for liberal elites.

I don’t really know. I think it is very clear that some of the kids were in on it, but a lot were not. So I am sure it will be a case by case basis, if I ran the university, my decision making would be, did they know? If the did know, they cheated, they are expelled. If they didn’t know, or if we can’t get evidence either way, they can stay.

I hear ya, Jon but you can see where that would leave things wide open since it wouldn’t be consistent. It’s at the whim of the school official listening in, and whom could also be swayed with a buck or two being put into their pocket.

And I’m not really cool with that either.

Perhaps I have the over-the-top judgement here, but given a list of students that were given entrance using this method, I would propose expulsion for those still in, and revocation of degree for those who graduated. I know that’s harsh, especially if the student did not know about what their parents did. But if you’re going to prevent this in the future, this has to be the method used now. Otherwise all a future parent would need to do is be more hush-hush and attempt to find another method of getting students in with a shady placement company, while at the same time telling their kid absolutely nothing.